• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1978 CB400A Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild Piston differences

77oneton

Total Posts
Total likes
Hey Everyone -

Started putting my master cylinder back together tonight and noticed that the piston and small rubber cup that rides on the piston are different than what came out of the MC. I purchased the Honda rebuild kit p/n 45530-404-315. Im curious if anyone has run into this issue before. I did notice that partzilla also sells a rebuild kit with p/n 45530-404-305, perhaps I ordered the wrong one? Is there any way to tell which part number is correct? Below are some pictures, you can see that the cup that came in the rebuild kit is much smaller.

image0.jpg
image2.jpg

The 315 and 305 kit should be the same, just a vendor of minor design change. Do you have the round reservoir master or was it changed to the rectangular reservoir type? If it's rectangular then you have the wrong kit.
Might check the package part number also. 404 should be the middle number, 442 is for the rectangular one

Thanks Jim - I do have the round reservoir. Also just double checked the packaging and it shows the correct p/n 45530-404-315. Is it possible that Honda changed the piston at some point and I just have the original one in there?

Thanks again Jim. I was able to bleed the brakes tonight and go for a test ride. Everything seems to be in working order. I’ll post up again in a few hundred miles to confirm everything is still functioning so the next guy can with the same problem can rest easy.

Glad things worked out, it's sometimes surprising to see quite a change in a replacement part like yours was.

Back
Top Bottom