• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Brake wear

TMSHORT

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
What’s normal brake pad wear look like?
I’m changing the tires / bearings / brake pads on the CL350, here is what my rear pads look like:

3FDBA064-6295-4EB2-829D-0C03757406D2.jpg

70A43B67-4EF3-471A-BA3F-006D5A03CD65.jpg

I guess I expected more uniform contact with the drum.

Looks like someone has ground on one of the shoe to possibly address a grabby brake problem. Probably didn't help, since they ground on the wrong shoe to fix the problem.

It doesn’t look like normal wear, the markings go the wrong direction. Did you find any pieces of it in the hub? Personally I would replace them, it’s highly recommended on any old (new to you) motorcycle.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

The ends of the linings have been ground down, chamfered, by Honda. Those are the original brakes and need to be replaced! the glue is old and will let the lining separate from the shoe which will cause the brake/wheel to lock up.

Definitely replacing. I have new OEM rear pads, they look a lot different (and are chamfered, but only a small amount right at the end, a much steeper angle).

I’m doing tires/tubes, brakes and wheel bearings on all 4 wheels both bikes.

Back
Top Bottom