• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Running exposed CB350 springs

RockReef

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I just won a bid for a set of eBay forks off a 1971 CL350 which I plan to install on my 1974 CB360 with drum brake while leaving the external springs exposed (sans rubber boots) because I like that look. No rubber gaiters/boots included anyway it appears
Picture below:
04d880d4181fe464887d14b3a8042bdf.jpg

Cross referencing the fiche I find the picture on cmsnl real confusing. Does this look like it’s complete? I know I need to get the early style triple trees without pinch bolt top bridge but am I missing anything else?

And do the sliders clamp on the CB360 drum brake axle or should I get the CL axle or need to make spacers?

Edit, do I need the triple trees or just the top bolt style fork bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And tangentially, any issues installing the early style CB/CL 350 triples into the 360 frame neck? I figured if any it would be minor… I’d like to go with another all balls roller bearing conversion, which has worked great on my other CB360 but that has stock 369 triples and forks

while leaving the external springs exposed (sans rubber boots) because I like that look.

That’s something I’d never considered; looks good laying on the table, curious to see them on the bike.
Sorry, I’m nowhere near fluent enough in “fork speak”, nor your bike models listed, to be any help with your questions. I’m sure someone will be along.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

And tangentially, any issues installing the early style CB/CL 350 triples into the 360 frame neck? I figured if any it would be minor… I’d like to go with another all balls roller bearing conversion, which has worked great on my other CB360 but that has stock 369 triples and forks

AllBalls has a chart of bearing and fork matchups that could be a clue to the interchangeability. I'd guess the 350 and 360 steering stems would be really similar, I just don't know for sure in real life.

Also, VHT member Alan F put this together

https://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

AllBalls has a chart of bearing and fork matchups that could be a clue to the interchangeability. I'd guess the 350 and 360 steering stems would be really similar, I just don't know for sure in real life.

I’m pretty confident that it will bolt in given that several folks on DTT have bolted CB360 front ends into their 350 necks.

I’m more concerned with any potential functional issues arising from running the springs exposed (aside from dirt as this will be mostly a fair weather bike anyway). And secondly, whether the 350 forks will bolt to my 360 drum brake axle or if I need to get the 350 axle and or different spacers

I think the 360 fork legs are spaced a bit wider apart than the early 350 ones, so if you use the correct top tree for those forks, you’ll probably need the matching 350 lower tree. Your 360 axle will be a little too long, too, but may still work if you modify the spacers. I have no direct experience with this, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...lol

My memory confirms the same..... Early 350 forks were slightly narrower (IIRC only 2 or 3 mm), and you will need the early lower tree, early bridge, axle, right side collar/spacer, and early axle sleeve/nut.......
ALL these parts are different (non-interchangeable) with their later equivalents.... ADD an early front fender as well......
The wheels WILL interchange, and with the early stem and bracket you can add in the friction steering damper assembly........

I know this because I modified a 360 bracket with a 350 stem for Bill Lane to use on his 450 running 400T forks and wheel ...(Plus 350 damper assy ).....

So.....Direct experience with similar but NO Holiday Inn.......LMFAO!

Last edited:
My memory confirms the same..... Early 350 forks were slightly narrower, and you will need the early lower tree, early bridge, axle, right side collar, and axle sleeve/nut.......
ALL these parts are different (non-interchangeable) with their later equivalents.... ADD an early front fender as well......
The wheels WILL interchange, and with the early stem and bracket you can add in the friction steering damper assembly........

I know this because I modified a 360 bracket with a 350 stem for Bill Lane to use on his 450 running 400T forks and wheel ...(Plus 350 damper assy ).....

Awesome, I was hoping you would show up :)
I have a line locally on the early triple tree with fork bridge and headlight assembly with ears.
As for the axle, collar and sleeve nut, would this take care of it? Looks like so to me but would appreciate confirmation…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194218671343

Axle Sleeve/nut appears correct, so it's likely all correct......
Worse case is you can narrow your existing collar and space your existing axle out to right with a small OD washer/washers (smaller than/equal to axle head).....
The axle sleeve is the critical part you need, but your existing could even be modified.......

TEXT me if you wish to discuss....

Axle Sleeve/nut appears correct, so it's likely all correct......
Worse case is you can narrow your existing collar and space your existing axle out to right with a small OD washer/washers (smaller than/equal to axle head).....
The axle sleeve is the critical part you need, but your existing could even be modified.......

TEXT me if you wish to discuss....

Thanks, at $12 it’s cheap enough to try.

As for the functionality of the forks with exposed springs, I still need some help. Here’s the fiche for the ‘71 CL forks I bought:

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsl...sa-front-fork-cl-k3_bighu0028f400702_f1b0.gif

And below the same year CB variant. The CL version doesn’t seem to have #9 and #21, which purpose appears to be centering/aligning the spring on the fork tube. They haven’t arrived here yet but as shown above clearly seem to come with #21 from the CB diagram. I’m curious how the bottom is aligned/centered on the CL forks?
2505c27dbb3c3671aeaf3cff42125a79.gif

Let me look at the CL parts bike I have tomorrow, I can cut off the basically-shot fork boots and see how they're put together, take some pictures.

Thanks, at $12 it’s cheap enough to try.

As for the functionality of the forks with exposed springs, I still need some help. Here’s the fiche for the ‘71 CL forks I bought:

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsl...sa-front-fork-cl-k3_bighu0028f400702_f1b0.gif

And below the same year CB variant. The CL version doesn’t seem to have #9 and #21, which purpose appears to be centering/aligning the spring on the fork tube. They haven’t arrived here yet but as shown above clearly seem to come with #21 from the CB diagram. I’m curious how the bottom is aligned/centered on the CL forks?

The CL forks you bought do use part #21 (which are shown in your original photo) to center the spring up top, but the CL sliders are made differently and don’t need anything additionally at the bottom of the spring to center it. The bottom of the spring is centered in place by the taller slider lip where the rubber gaiter attaches.

Here’s a photo of me working on my ‘69 CL in my ritzy apartment kitchen in 1973. Polished upper tree, chromed lower tree, chrome springs from my rear shocks (too stiff), and chrome upper fork covers made from chrome bathroom sink drain pipe from the hardware store...lol

06386699-B4B8-48C8-A0C8-0F137E673037.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s a photo of me working on my ‘69 CL in my ritzy apartment kitchen in 1973. Polished upper tree, chromed lower tree, chrome springs from my rear shocks (too stiff), and chrome upper fork covers made from chrome bathroom sink drain pipe from the hardware store...lol

That is just too cool! What a great picture to still have.

And a "road warrior" headlight... you were a trend-setter! And I now know I am not alone...

And a "road warrior" headlight... you were a trend-setter! And I now know I am not alone...
Yes, a Carillo driving light with a cool black snap-on rock guard. That thing was a flamethrower, and I still have it in a box somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom