• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Replace or Replace

moondoggy

I need some input on this . I have a '72 SL350 K3 with a '71 Cb350 engine installed . As this bike hasn't been started for over twenty years ( I now know the engine needs a top end and at least new bearings and seals ) , I'm wondering if it's easier in my case to repair or replace the Klein's or replace with Mikuni's . so far I've found the tops are probably too rusty to be re chromed , and 6 screws now have eigther stripped or broken off completely . this bike had a mongrel from idle to around 4000 RPM . The bike would rev fine in the shed but once out on the road under 4000 RPM ( also taking off at traffic lights ) when you opened the throttle more that 1/3 , that the bike acted you just ''hit the kill switch'' . Above 4000 RPM ,
this bike revved cleanly to the rev limit with no problem . I don't to know what's inside , with my luck I'm going to have to buy 2 each diaphragms , 2 carb tops ( assuming I get them ) and comprehensive carb and screw kits which will cost me a bit over $500 by the time it's imported to Queensland , Australia .

On the over hand , i can get a twin 32mm Mikuni kit complete with made up throttle cable , air cleaners , adapters and the advantage that I know how to tune them .

I need to know how easy it is fix the original CB carbs before I decide on anything .

IF the engine responds smoothly/correctly to the throttle when unladen but "falls flat" when under load, carbs are not where I'd be looking....

I need some input on this . I have a '72 SL350 K3 with a '71 Cb350 engine installed . As this bike hasn't been started for over twenty years ( I now know the engine needs a top end and at least new bearings and seals ) , I'm wondering if it's easier in my case to repair or replace the Klein's or replace with Mikuni's . so far I've found the tops are probably too rusty to be re chromed , and 6 screws now have eigther stripped or broken off completely . this bike had a mongrel from idle to around 4000 RPM . The bike would rev fine in the shed but once out on the road under 4000 RPM ( also taking off at traffic lights ) when you opened the throttle more that 1/3 , that the bike acted you just ''hit the kill switch'' . Above 4000 RPM ,
this bike revved cleanly to the rev limit with no problem . I don't to know what's inside , with my luck I'm going to have to buy 2 each diaphragms , 2 carb tops ( assuming I get them ) and comprehensive carb and screw kits which will cost me a bit over $500 by the time it's imported to Queensland , Australia .

On the over hand , i can get a twin 32mm Mikuni kit complete with made up throttle cable , air cleaners , adapters and the advantage that I know how to tune them .

I need to know how easy it is fix the original CB carbs before I decide on anything .

I'm sure it's a typo, the SL350 came in K0, K1 and K2 (no K3 was made) and you have either a K1 or K2 based on the year and since you're using a CB350 engine the carb size is 28mm (not 32). A pair of 28mm Mikunis would be a fairly simple choice and likely cheaper than trying to repair your CV carbs from the CB350 engine. You will have some jetting to do most likely, but since the carb size would be correct for the engine you'd probably just have to get the main jet size and slide needle setting right with trial and error and you'd be fine with idle mixture adjustments. It isn't that hard, and doing plug chops at any range it isn't running right would tell you if it was rich or lean.

From my perspective, on an SL, I would abandon CV carbs for the same reasons that Honda did. Unless you are never intending on leaving the streets. Even then, watching all of the threads on here regarding folks fighting with the cantankerous CV carbs, I would still abandon them.

As Tom said, 32mm carbs are too large for a fairly stock 350. I think 28mm ones will work much better for all-around riding, and maybe​ 30mm if you like to live in the upper rpm range.

Remember, there is a big difference in intake port size between a CB 350 and an SL 350 head.....
For correct functioning, the replacement carbs venturi diameter must remain the smallest (or equal to/at least no bigger than any other) section of the intake tract.....

He mentioned the bike having a CB350 engine in it so a pair of 28mm Mikunis should be close since the Keihin CV carbs for the CB/CL are 28mm.

Agreed that the 28's are a better size choice for the CB head, My concern was that he MIGHT try to use those same carbs on the smaller ported SL engine once it is rebuilt......

And hopefully the mention of it all will help him realize the best plan. *OP says "you know I can hear you guys... right?"* :)

Possibly because he's down under and the original post was after 9 last night.

I've out of town collecting a Holden FC panel van for a new project . I had to drive from Mackay QLD to allice Springs NT , then south to Adelaide , then east to Bendigo , Victoria , and back to avoid New South Wales covid restrictions , most of that has no mobile coverage .

The bike is '72 SL350 K2 , As any bike ( I think ) delivered before July '75 doesn't have ID or compliance plates ( as we Aussies call them ) According To Honda Australia this bike was in the last shipment to reach our shores .

The main reason I posted this is because you ''yanks'' can your parts quite cheaply while in Australia I can order some thing in America an by the time it lands at my doorstep it cost around 2 1/2 the original price . I was asking because their are lot of parts get for the Klein's where I the Mikuni kit over the for around $150 move i can by a ready made Mikuni kit more or less at home .

I just wanted to know if the original carb parts are still available in America as quite sick and tired of the Chinese Crap we're flooded with right now . I'm just pissed of lately buying Asian knockoff's that ''sort of work '' .

...collecting a Holden FC panel van for a new project .
Holden makes great stuff. The best we got, of theirs, was what Pontiac marketed as the later GTO rebirth. I REALLY with GM here, would bring over the Holden "UTE", as y'all call them. Trucks, large and small, sell like crazy in the US. Don't understand why the American makes reject the concept of the more streamlined car type body with a bed. Back in the day, Chevy El Camino, and Ford Ranchero, were popular examples of this. Holden makes some incredible stuff like that, and GM teased us, a few years back, with bringing a Holden over marketed as a new El Camino. Alas, never appeared.

The bike is '72 SL350 K2 , As any bike ( I think ) delivered before July '75 doesn't have ID or compliance plates
Exactly what does a compliance plate look like? Al we get is the bradded on badge, on the steering stem neck, and a few warning labels here and there.

...you ''yanks'' can your parts quite cheaply...
Deep South, 6th generation Texan here. Them carpet-bagger "yanks" can steer clear. Now where is my rebel flag? :biggrin:

Likely won't amount to anything, but it is funny that there is actually a bill, in the Texas legislature, to bring a vote before Texans on whether to secede from the US, and return to an independent republic.
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1359

My family goes back to the days of the original Stephen F. Austin settlement, when Texas was still part of Mexico, through the days of the Republic of Texas, on into statehood. So, the concept of returning to a stand alone republic is always an intriguing thought to ponder. Coastline, ports, tons of oil and natural gas, already on our own electrical grid. Not totally unrealistic, but again a big stretch of the imagination.

Deep South, 6th generation Texan here. Them carpet-bagger "yanks" can steer clear. Now where is my rebel flag? :biggrin:

Likely won't amount to anything, but it is funny that there is actually a bill, in the Texas legislature, to bring a vote before Texans on whether to secede from the US, and return to an independent republic.
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=87R&Bill=HB1359

My family goes back to the days of the original Stephen F. Austin settlement, when Texas was still part of Mexico, through the days of the Republic of Texas, on into statehood. So, the concept of returning to a stand alone republic is always an intriguing thought to ponder. Coastline, ports, tons of oil and natural gas, already on our own electrical grid. Not totally unrealistic, but again a big stretch of the imagination.

Darrell, while I can appreciate your family's proud history in Texas and rightfully so from your perspective, and while I personally have no opinion whatsoever about what Texas does with respect to the rest of the US except to say, this is where that area of discussion ends. It isn't just in the Off Topic section, No Politics or Religion applies everywhere at VHT. Not trying to be blunt, we just can't go there.

Darrell, while I can appreciate your family's proud history in Texas and rightfully so from your perspective, and while I personally have no opinion whatsoever about what Texas does with respect to the rest of the US except to say, this is where that area of discussion ends. It isn't just in the Off Topic section, No Politics or Religion applies everywhere at VHT. Not trying to be blunt, we just can't go there.

No offense intended. I didn't (and don't) view my post as political. I offered no opinion, support, or rejection of any political agenda or movement. I simply found the bill to be a very odd tidbit on current news, that otherwise would likely not be known to the public at large. Given the number of recent hand slaps, I conclude that it would be in the best interest of the forum, as well as my own, to make my exit. I certainly appreciate all I have learned here, and may well need to return one day, with questions. As such, I hesitate to continue wearing out my welcome, through daily participation in content and posts. No hard feelings, and best of luck to all, with your projects!

No offense intended. I didn't (and don't) view my post as political. I offered no opinion, support, or rejection of any political agenda or movement. I simply found the bill to be a very odd tidbit on current news, that otherwise would likely not be known to the public at large. Given the number of recent hand slaps, I conclude that it would be in the best interest of the forum, as well as my own, to make my exit. I certainly appreciate all I have learned here, and may well need to return one day, with questions. As such, I hesitate to continue wearing out my welcome, through daily participation in content and posts. No hard feelings, and best of luck to all, with your projects!

I'm disappointed that you take it that way, as it was only intended to end the discussion there so others would not expound on it and get it spiraling. I would personally like you to reconsider but it's your choice.

First up to Clutch Cargo , A Compliance plate is what the Australians use since July '75 . It's Fitted to every car and bike ( these days ATV's mainly for farm work ) the Plate has the vehicle's manufacture's mane and sometimes model , year and month it was made, and the ADR's ( Australian Design Rules ) as well the engine ,gearbox diff paint interior ( every things usually in some of numbered or lettered code ( sometimes both ) and the options fitted at the time of manufacture . Please no come back on this as I barely understand it myself which is why I like working on the early ''stuff'' .

All I wanted to know how hard are these klien's to work on compared to Mikuni's which I have a lot of experience on .

All I wanted to know how hard are these klien's to work on compared to Mikuni's which I have a lot of experience on .

I don't think he meant anything negative in his response to the "yanks" comment and I certainly didn't take any offense, hell I'm a yank because we moved from the north to the south of the US 60 years ago, though we can do without any Rebel flag references as well. He was curious about the Holden (which I'd never heard of myself) and the Compliance plate, which I was curious about myself, just another thing that one country does differently than another. In the end it got sidetracked with extracurricular discussion.

I can certainly understand why you'd rather go with Mikunis over Keihin for the reason mentioned as most of us are aware of the added costs you face in Oz when ordering parts from the US and in that respect, we do have it much easier here.

Looking up Australia Compliance Plate shows what we Americans and others know as a VIN plate, Vehicle Identification Number, and seems to contain all the same information.

Modifying anything above the date can be nightmare over here . there are some states ( mainly Victoria and New South Wales ) where you '' Independent engineers '' where you get just about get away within reason , I live in Queensland where we have some of the toughest laws where even installing mag wheels or other bolt on ''stuff can you ''in deep ****''

Thanks everyone , I'm now going to go with Mikuni kit simply because the carb's are new and there available here and for once I don't have any import hassles .

If you don't want hassles with 'replacement' Mikuni's that actually need quite a lot more than jet changes to work properly,, get a set for Triumph 500 or search out a set for Yamaha RD350 (26mm) they are plenty big enough to get over 100mph on a 360 and have much better response at low rpm. Even my then girlfriends 9 yr old daughter could ride my bike without too much problem (although only in first gear)

Back
Top Bottom