• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Texavina.com - New seat / CM450E

tomeben

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I highly recommend https://texavina.com/ for seat options. Initially I was unsure which seat to order since they don’t specifically show my model, but they do show the CM400’s. Tex was great communicating with me through multiple emails with photos sent both ways, and offered a phone call if I needed further explanation. I eventually chose model L2626. Shipping/delivery info is below, and photos… the seat was very well packaged with bubble wrap and styrofoam.
I’m very happy with the seat; for shorter riders, the seat does sit lower as it’s thinner than the stock seat. Once I get different handlebars installed, I hope it will look more like a proper motorcycle.

Order Confirmation: 4/18/21
Shipped: 5/3/21
Cleared Customs: 5/24/21
Stated expected delivery: 5/28/21
Received: 5/27/21
6 weeks from order to delivery.

BEFORE:
75aebfc51351b9e3596a635af8fb93ce.jpg

2f6c74935cfd8ceddce2bd91e8afdecf.jpg

AFTER:
2ebf6dc07657eb1640bea6ff898ba813.jpg

0093245aa9f12113dcaeaf714a655953.jpg

848896f8cc1f6151b0d60c66b0f69138.jpg

d036e22944c8ead8bb5aa7f01a514d33.jpg

1556f317ebdf15d575e4f6d782a937ee.jpg

NEW (texavina) SEAT PAN:
fc47f0f3c0a716c3ea48b6d74fe48f65.jpg

20d3956e445c211b40f8812aeab01710.jpg

da194708d4e644e5ac843d4440d060f4.jpg

The new seat came with the front bracket, which slides under the tank, installed, and studs for the rear latches which I swapped from my original seat. There is also a threaded mount for the seat lock which would also have to be swapped. And a strap was included which fits across the seat and is fastened under the pan - mine isn’t installed. Once I swapped the latches, and bent the tabs a hair, the seat latched right in place. It is a shorter rise up onto the tank than the original; in fact, you can see a rust spot that had worn in one of the closeup photos.
I’m happy to send more photos, or measurements if someone is looking for more specific info.

Tom - 1982 CM450E
“Noob”, but learning fast.

What a difference. Looks far more appropriate for the bike and will look even better once you get a more standard set of bars on it. Never cared for the seat style from that era and this seat was well-designed to fit the frame contour while still looking more standard.

The new seat looks great, and is a huge improvement over the stock king/queen look. I am impressed with the quality of their work. I am surprised that the new seat did not include the metal trim strip. I say that because their SL350 replacement seat does so. That is what enamored me with the idea of getting one, from them. That little detail is all but unobtainium in do-it-yourself recovers. By the time I restore my seat pan, source new foam, cut and trim the foam, add a new cover, etc. etc., just buying one from them sounds better and better. Thanks for sharing this!

What a difference. Looks far more appropriate for the bike and will look even better once you get a more standard set of bars on it. Never cared for the seat style from that era and this seat was well-designed to fit the frame contour while still looking more standard.

Thanks, Tom, and I agree; most of what is readily available is “cafe/brat” style which is too short (length) and/or too flat, and would require custom mounting. The frame contour you mention is what sold me on the seat, and it mounts as stock.

The new seat looks great, and is a huge improvement over the stock king/queen look. I am impressed with the quality of their work. I am surprised that the new seat did not include the metal trim strip. I say that because their SL350 replacement seat does so. That is what enamored me with the idea of getting one, from them. That little detail is all but unobtainium in do-it-yourself recovers. By the time I restore my seat pan, source new foam, cut and trim the foam, add a new cover, etc. etc., just buying one from them sounds better and better. Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks, Darrell, and you’re welcome.
I went back and forth about the chrome trim strip, and decided I like it without since I’m keeping the grab rail. This seat is listed as a CM400 seat on the website, so if those didn’t originally have the trim strip, that could be why. And after the email exchange I had, I don’t doubt they may have added it if I’d asked.
I also went back and forth about even buying a new seat vs. buying another stock seat on eBay and having it trimmed down and recovered, etc. All told I’m glad I got this one. Add $60+ to their posted seat price for shipping - mine was.

Wow what a difference, fits like glove! I’m convinced not to go for the restore myself the more I think about it. Thanks for the write up definitely saved me anguish on deciding.

Wow what a difference, fits like glove! I’m convinced not to go for the restore myself the more I think about it. Thanks for the write up definitely saved me anguish on deciding.

Thanks, rortiz5… glad it helped and good luck with yours.

Wow, that seat is beautiful, really updates the look without making it look like its new. Basically this is how Honda should have done it, but it was a different time and style back then. Will have to keep this in mind if I ever end up with a CM.

Wow, that seat is beautiful, really updates the look without making it look like its new.

It is amazing how it transforms the look of the bike

Thanks, guys. I just keep staring at it and thinking, “wow, it really works.” I used to want a new tank, too, since I like the squared off look of the 400/750 tanks, but is growing on me and I do think new handlebars will finish it off. At some point it’s all rationalization for another bike!

Thanks, guys. I just keep staring at it and thinking, “wow, it really works.” I used to want a new tank, too, since I like the squared off look of the 400/750 tanks, but is growing on me and I do think new handlebars will finish it off. At some point it’s all rationalization for another bike!

Yeah, I'd keep the tank, you can always change that later. Different bars will finish the transformation.

I highly recommend https://texavina.com/ for seat options. Initially I was unsure which seat to order since they don’t specifically show my model, but they do show the CM400’s. Tex was great communicating with me through multiple emails with photos sent both ways, and offered a phone call if I needed further explanation. I eventually chose model L2626. Shipping/delivery info is below, and photos… the seat was very well packaged with bubble wrap and styrofoam.
I’m very happy with the seat; for shorter riders, the seat does sit lower as it’s thinner than the stock seat. Once I get different handlebars installed, I hope it will look more like a proper motorcycle.

I just ordered one of these too! My goodness the quality is amazing. It was 3 weeks from order to delivery. I'll get some pictures later today! Thanks Tom for posting this. I'm 6'3", so having more seat room is far more comfortable, and since my wife likes to ride with me, this is also more comfortable for 2-up.

I just ordered one of these too!

Awesome! Glad it helped, and glad you like it… you even got it twice as fast as mine.
Mine felt like a board for about a week; perfectly comfortable once I got used to it.

Tom - 1982 CM450E

And here’s another, maybe better(?), side view:
d39f260986f20758c2e8fb5659f9b1be.jpg

Man, that really looks nice! It transforms the look of your bike from cruiser to classic. Yep, some non-pullback bars will finish the look, and the bike will be more pleasant to ride.

Man, that really looks nice! It transforms the look of your bike from cruiser to classic. Yep, some non-pullback bars will finish the look, and the bike will be more pleasant to ride.

Thanks, Dale! I’m really happy with how it turned out, and you’re right about the bars; it’s more comfortable and easier to control. Pics are here if you scroll through:

New handlebars - CM450E
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...hread.php?t=3680&share_type=t&link_source=app

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Tom....Just verifying,but it APPEARS from your pics that you left out a washer on the axle (exterior of the left lower fork slider).....Please check it......

Untitled.png

Might just be the pics.......But looks like too many threads showing.....

Tom....Just verifying,but it APPEARS from your pics that you left out a washer on the axle (exterior of the left lower fork slider).....Please check it......
You’re a good man with great eyes, Steve… I checked it as soon as I read this, and indeed there is no washer.
This wasn’t the first time I’ve had the front wheel off; I can’t verify whether it’s ever had that washer in place from memory, but no extra parts left over.
I’ll be sure to get one installed. Thank you!

Tom - 1982 CM450E

Tom, I believe that washer and the "pocket" into which it fits are mostly to prevent "marring" damage when torquing the axle, and would only present a safety issue IF the axle threading was not long enough to allow the spacer/collar/bearing centers to become properly thrust-loaded.....So, it might not be absolutely critical, but then again, Honda is not want to add unnecessary parts to their assemblies.....
Installing a replacement is the correct procedure to follow.... ;)

View attachment 9276

Might just be the pics.......But looks like too many threads showing.....

Well… I need to create, or remember, an old adage that goes something like, “wrench 1st, order parts 2nd”.
That darn washer sits in its recess so we’ll that I couldn’t tell it was there until I took the axle nut off. I put the new one on for good measure, though. Thanks again, Steve… it’s all good. Nothing on either wheel, axle, etc., is left to chance.

Tom - 1982 CM450E / Midwest USA

Just received a seat from these folks. Pretty happy with it. I wanted something lower profile, but not skateboard thin. Doesn't look out of place.

It looks and feels quality. Took about 2 weeks to ship, and maybe another 10 days to get here.

I did have to elongate the bracket holes (frame side) to get the seat to meet up with the latch. Not much. 5 minutes of work with a Dremel.

I've heard of the Texavina seats years ago and was since recommending them to others who were looking for a more custom solution, yet one easy to install. I've read lots of reviews about Texavina (not only for Honda bikes, but also other makes like BMW and Yamaha), and concluded that they seem to offer good value for money. And, also important, little fuss to mount the seat on the bike, as they are custom made for that type of bike, including the correct seatpan. I'm certainly going to buy one of them, when (if) I decide to change the stock seat.

Here's another CM with a Texavina seat. Found it via Google, years ago.

CM-Custom.jpg

Actually, this pic convinced me of looking out for a CM400 to buy. I was then in the search for a CB400T, but it turned out the CB's were rather scarce on the market here. I came across a few CM's, though, but didn't like the chopper look. Until I found out what change a set of low handlebars and more straight seat did to that CM. I really love the looks of it. Everything is just right. In fact, I think I like it now more than the CB400T. Shame Honda didn't figure that out by themselves ;).

I almost bought a CM, but things turned out differently eventually. When I suddenly stumbled upon a nice CB400T, I couldn't resist it.

Back
Top Bottom