• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Wheel bearings

TMSHORT

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
What is the general consensus on bearings?

If the wheel spins freely without noise or grinding, is clean / grease and go ok?

Or do you always replace 45+ year old bearings? I've read a variety of opinions. I replaced the bearings on the Z50 project ... not easy to get out, but I now have the tools to do so.

I have also read some people saying that old bearings were much better constructed and of better quality, and better not to replace if they are in good shape.

I am all for refurbish / reuse, unless there is a true safety issue (which is why I am replacing the tires, even though one of my buddies keeps telling me they are round and hold air so why not ride ... ?)

[I think I got this one in the right forum!]

Interested to hear what you all think. When I have the wheels off for new tires would be the time to do it.

T.

So I guess this brings the next question - what bearings do you guys like?

“OEM” from rockymountainatv, the “all balls” from 4into1, or ... ?

T.

AllBalls kits, complete with seals. My best tip is go to the AllBalls website and get the kit number for your bike, search for that kit number on eBay and be amazed at the low prices you'll find. Sometimes they're listed with alternate applications but the same kit number.

I bought front and rear kits for my CB750K8 and the prices were less than anyone else was asking for just the rear kit.

The ebay seller I bought from was rj_atv

I buy sealed ball bearings, from the local industrial supply store, no need to pack them with grease before installation and no worries about grease contaminating the brake lining.

Back
Top Bottom