• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Deacon's CB350 Cafe Build

If you use the UNI filters, make sure you devise some sort of support bracket(s) for the carbs.

If you have the Air Boxes but not the correct CL Side Covers just put them on by themselves.
They will support the intake side of the Carbs and cover over them Battery Box.
For a Cafe they should look pretty good.

I considered that a while ago but for some reason never went with them. May have to dig them out for a look this weekend.

Or at least take the rubber velocity stacks and stick your uni filters on those. It will carburete better and give your better filter to exhaust clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the metal covers are in good condition, they don’t look too bad without the plastic covers over them. You just have to be careful and don’t get the paper filters wet.

37804C6A-7943-4310-9D25-A9BD972CCB0C.jpg

Yeah, I put them on the bike a while ago and they don't look too bad by themselves. It is an option for me for sure.

About to get started on painting the tank emblems but figured I'd first make sure I knew how to mount them prior to getting them all nice and pretty. Actually should have done this even before painting the tank but too late now.

I have the emblems with the two posts on the back that insert into holes in the tank. Looking at the parts diagram and I see there are two "Rear ornament nuts" that are used for this. These were not on mine when I took them off, they appeared to be on with some grey putty/glue of some sort. Wondering how these 'ornament nuts' even work and if I should look at trying to get some or is there an easier way?

Parts #25

honda-cb350k4-super-sport-1972-usa-fuel-tank_bigma000148f09_c16e.jpg

Backside of my emblems

tankEmblem_01.jpg

Just noticed this thread after its 'rejuvenation' today.

That's a fantastic looking bike, Perry. A great illustration or going beyond originality, but still paying respectful homage to Honda. Makes me want to seek out a cheap 'barn find' and construct similar!(y)

Just noticed this thread after its 'rejuvenation' today.

That's a fantastic looking bike, Perry. A great illustration or going beyond originality, but still paying respectful homage to Honda. Makes me want to seek out a cheap 'barn find' and construct similar!(y)

Thank you very much!

They're push in clips. Push the clip into the tank holes and then push the emblem into the clips. Honda still supplies them 87311-634-600 or 87311-516-000

Just found a decent picture of them but still not overly clear on how they work. Based on the picture I included below, the 'ears' fit inside the hole and then they put pressure on the emblem posts when they are inserted? On mine, the emblem pegs just barely fit in the holes in the tank themselves so not sure how/where to the clips fit in. I'll try and pick some up and see how it goes, maybe clearer once I have them in my hand.

Thanks LDR

MzAyODcz-1b69424a.jpg

Holes in my tank

tankEmblem_02.jpg

Also, after seeing Richards awesome heat shield, I got inspired and started in on making something for the headers on mine to help protect my left leg. Don't have a clear vision yet but did start with doing some cardboard mockups. Will see how it goes and will post up when I make some real progress.

Just found a decent picture of them but still not overly clear on how they work. Based on the picture I included below, the 'ears' fit inside the hole and then they put pressure on the emblem posts when they are inserted? On mine, the emblem pegs just barely fit in the holes in the tank themselves so not sure how/where to the clips fit in. I'll try and pick some up and see how it goes, maybe clearer once I have them in my hand.

Thanks LDR

View attachment 12928

Holes in my tank

View attachment 12929
Based on the picture of the clip the 2 flat ears will rest against the tank bracket, the 2 bent sections hold it in place and the top 2 edges are what grabs the emblem posts.

Based on the picture of the clip the 2 flat ears will rest against the tank bracket, the 2 bent sections hold it in place and the top 2 edges are what grabs the emblem posts.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Just looking at mine, I can't see how it will fit in the hole and still allow the post to go in. If I do pick some up I'll post up how it goes.

Three months later I have the clips to put on the emblems :)

Finished painting the emblems last weekend and just need to clear coat them now, so I decided to go to my local Honda dealer to see if they could order in four of the clips (actual name is NUT, REAR ORNAMENT) and was surprised when he said they actually have 6 in stock and they've been in their warehouse since 2006. Just sitting there waiting for me to pick them up, lol. Wasn't expecting that. Also, this particular part is also used on their Honda cars and since the number in the system was a car part number, their system doesn't connect to the Honda Mothership system for car part pricing so the price in their system was still as it was in 2006 ($2.24 Canadian). They are only cheap so never saved a ton of money but was cool regardless. Will try them out once I have the emblems cleared.

Pretty obscure part to still be sitting on a Honda dealer's shelf after all this time, amazing it was sitting there waiting for you.

Yeah it is, I was pretty surprised. This dealer is great and has surprised me before when working on my CB400T, in fact it was the same parts guy too. I needed a drum stopper since mine had the center hole worn out of spec. Couldn't find one anywhere and again went into see if they could find one in Canada. He said nope, not showing as available anywhere. Then said, hang on, went in the back and came back with a NOS one. Couldn't believe it. They are a great dealer to have.

Seems these emblem nuts may be too good to be true. Had a closer look at them and it doesn't look like they are the correct ones for my tank. Problem is I don't know 100% if the tank on my bike is an actual '72 CB350 tank. Either way, when I checked to see if they would fit in the holes, they are not really close. I've included a picture to show (not the best picture) and then after the picture was taken I removed any paint/filler that may have been around the hole, but even after this was removed back to bare metal the nut is far too large. May have to look at some other method of securing them. When I stripped the tank the badges were held on with some sort of putty/caulking type material.

emblemNut_01.jpg

That's actually the part number I have, its supposed to be a direct replacement for 87311-516-000.

emblemNut_02.jpg

I'm going to take another closer look at it tomorrow.

Tried the nuts again and no go, so just went with some 3M double sided tape. Amazing how much of a difference such a small part can make, emblems really tie it all together.

emblem_01.jpg

emblem_02.jpg

Tried the nuts again and no go, so just went with some 3M double sided tape. Amazing how much of a difference such a small part can make, emblems really tie it all together.

It's looking really good Perry, and pretty complete too. Running and riding soon?

Thanks guys. Yes, that's the plan, as long as can get some time over the next few weeks to finish up a few things I'm hoping to get it running/riding in July when I'm off on holidays. If I can grab some time before then I'll certainly try to get it out sooner though.

Thanks guys. Yes, that's the plan, as long as can get some time over the next few weeks to finish up a few things I'm hoping to get it running/riding in July when I'm off on holidays. If I can grab some time before then I'll certainly try to get it out sooner though.

So many finely done aspects to your bike. I would love to be following on a dark road with those winker/ running bar end lights; a flying apparition.

Man, that really looks great! Very well-done bike, all the parts are complementary of each other.

It will be even better to see it outside and off the lift, as someone once told me about my 450. I know your bike looks more than good enough to stand up to the light of day, and lots closer than 10 feet too.

It will be even better to see it outside and off the lift, as someone once told me about my 450. I know your bike looks more than good enough to stand up to the light of day, and lots closer than 10 feet too.

Yeah, will be nice to get it out in the fresh air. Not really sure of the 10 feet though, any closer and it looks different :), good enough for me though.

Back at the CB today and started it up to make sure it was still working since I last touched it :lol: It started up but was only running on one cylinder, left one was dead. Never had a chance to do too much investigation but it seems its not getting a spark since the spark plug is wet so its getting gas. Both cylinders were running last time it ran so thinking (hoping) its just a loose connection. Right cylinder seemed to be running nice and strong. Problem is now I have to take the tank off which is one thing I absolutely hate about this bike. Remembered I forgot to put on a crank case vent tube anyway so would have had to take it off for this regardless. Anyone know the inner diameter tube size is needed for the vent?

Had to pop out in the garage a little while after running it and very different to now have the smell of a carbed bike in there, it's been a while. My modern Africa Twin is pretty much odour free.

How's the battery condition? If it's down on voltage a bit from sitting it might only fire one cylinder.

Very good point Tom and one I should have thought of. The battery is new-ish (year old but never ran obviously, just periodically charged throughout the year) and it was charged today prior to me starting the bike but it took a bit of cranking to get the bike to initially start so that may have have had an impact, never know. I have it back on the charger now and will see. Thanks for the suggestion.

You know the drill, once it seems to be up take it off the charger and let it rest for an hour or so, then see it it's holding 12.6v. If not... ugh, "new" battery that didn't get its usable life used.

Just another sign that 10+ years is entirely too long. :)

Charged the battery up again and let it sit like you said and it does go down a bit. After charging it read at 12.59. After two hours it was 12.49 and this morning it was 12.42. Not sure if this is normal or not. Also wondering if maybe the new gauge I put on has some parasitic draw, it has to be connected to battery to remember the settings.

Either way, I charged it up and tried running it again. Fired right up on both cylinders, so at least I don't think I need to take the tank off to check the wiring. Seemed to run real good but there were some noises that I'm not sure on. I'm thinking its just normal noises for this engine but think I'll double check the cam chain tensioner before running it again just to make sure its correct. Took a video but the sound doesn't come through on it.

Also, after shutting it off I heard a bit of a sizzling sound from the front of the engine. Figured it was a bit of an oil leak or something but couldn't find anything at all. Something I'll keep an eye on.

I get the feeling it hasn't been run much yet but I can't recall (and I really can't imagine why, LOL). Did you have the engine apart? Also, you know the crankshaft position to best adjust the cam chain, right? I can't recall exactly but it's 90° past TDC on one of the cylinders when all valves are closed so there's no tension on the chain that would influence the tensioner and keep it from adjusting properly (I just haven't done 350s in a long time so I can't remember, but someone here will know). And as far as the battery is concerned, maybe disconnect the gauge to see if it allows the battery to stay at 12.6 overnight.

Yes, 90 past TDC on compression stroke. I'm sure I followed it when I did it but just want to double check. Yes, I've had the engine apart as part of the project. Hasn't been run much at all since I've owned it though so not really sure what is normal in terms of sounds. Plus, haven't had a running vintage four stroke in quite some time now, only the two stroke, so my ear for these old engines is gone.

Thinking the same thing, will disconnect the gauge as a test.

First ride done! Just got back from a quick run around the block. Was hoping to ride it for a bit more but seems the clutch cable wasn't adjusted correct since I couldn't change gears. At least that's what I'm hoping the issue is :neutral:. Went into first without issue but then while moving couldn't go to second. It could also be the rearset setup as well, will check it out. I'll take a look at it and double check things. Have to say though that the engine is quite noisy. I'm not sure if it's just because the fairing is reflecting it back to me or not, or if it's just that I'm so used to modern bikes now, but it seemed like a lot of top end noise to me. Once back to the house I checked oil flow by removing the engine bolt and there was a good flow.

Also, surprised at just how small the bike felt to me :).

Sounds like good news overall. I'd imagine the engine noises would be more captive with a fairing like that and you'd probably hear them more magnified. You should try shifting the bike while shut off and on the centerstand, spin the rear wheel and try going through the gears. You should be able to easily see if it's a linkage issue.

Every bike I’ve ever put a fairing on has seemed to have increased engine noise afterward. It’s probably just the normal engine racket, but amplified, that you’re hearing. I have an old bike with the gas tank solid-mounted to the frame, and I can tell when it’s running low on gas by the engine noise resonating in the almost empty tank…lol

I think you're right about the fairing, I remember when I had my CB500X, it had a whisper quiet engine when standing next to it, but while riding (even with earplugs) I could hear the valves because the sound was being directed up by the fairing. Plus I never had my earplugs in today either so everything was much louder than I'm used to. I'll still keep an eye on it but have a feeling its totally normal. I'll go through checking the clutch and shift linkage and give it all another go.

Back
Top Bottom