• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Key - replace/duplicate

Gribleon

Total Posts
Total likes
I’ve been trying to get a 2nd key for my 1979 CM200T. I have had it cut about 4x by a private lock and key smith with no luck. He has cut it both on the machine and by hand to no avail.

What am I missing?
I’m pretty sure I could jam a screwdriver in there and it would work? So why won’t the cut key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^Make that -2.

VHT member 12ozPBR bought a big lot of OEM Honda keys a while back and may well have one for you. You'll need to take the ignition switch off to find the code but once you have it, he can look through his keys to see if he has one that will work for your bike. Get the code from the switch and shoot him a PM

Ancientdad is correct. Send me a PM with the code off the switch (best), or if you have an original working key then it may have the code on the key itself.

A photo of the working key to 12ozPBR would probably be helpful too since I've found that, though the key codes between keys may match, the side cuts/channels may not.

A photo of the working key to 12ozPBR would probably be helpful too since I've found that, though the key codes between keys may match, the side cuts/channels may not.

Excellent point Brian. Many of the deviations I am aware of happen with the earlier keys but still a very good suggestion. In fact to be completely thorough take a photo of both sides of the key.

Ancientdad is correct. Send me a PM with the code off the switch (best), or if you have an original working key then it may have the code on the key itself.

I am in need of this too. An old ‘69 CB350 came to me last year without any keys. Where exactly is the code that you need?

I am in need of this too. An old ‘69 CB350 came to me last year without any keys. Where exactly is the code that you need?

Unfortunately I was not able to help Gribleon with her CM200 key (I have very few of the of the style she needed), but for a ‘69 CB350 there is a greater likelihood that I may have it since I have a good selection of “T” and “H” keys as well as some older “NA” and “NB” style.
Most likely yours is a “T” key and if the ignition switch is original there should be a 4 digit code preceded by a T on the face of the switch (like this: Txxxx). If you are lucky the ignition switch is the same as the fork lock and a single key will work both. The ‘69 CB350 didn’t have a seat lock but the later 350’s did which ideally would be keyed the same as the switch and fork lock.
Check out the face of your ignition switch to read the code or try and take a detailed photo of it and PM me and we can work from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately I was not able to help Gribleon with her CM200 key (I have very few of the of the style she needed), but for a ‘69 CB350 there is a greater likelihood that I may have it since I have a good selection of “T” and “H” keys as well as some older “NA” and “NB” style.
Most likely yours is a “T” key and if the ignition switch is original there should be a 4 digit code preceded by a T on the face of the switch (like this: Txxxx). If you are lucky the ignition switch is the same as the fork lock and a single key will work both. The ‘69 CB350 didn’t have a seat lock but the later 350’s did which ideally would be keyed the same as the switch and fork lock.
Check out the face of your ignition switch to read the code or try and take a detailed photo of it and PM me and we can work from there.

Messaged you. Thanks

I have had good luck buying keys from eBay. I just provided the code on the bottom side of the ignition switch and the vendor could tell me if they had a key. The same key worked for the ignition, fork lock, and seat lock. I tried to find the vendor I used 5 years ago, but my purchase history doesn’t go back that far. I checked today and there are a few vendors selling Honda keys from $8 -$20. Search for motorcycle keys cut to code.

I have had good luck buying keys from eBay. I just provided the code on the bottom side of the ignition switch and the vendor could tell me if they had a key. The same key worked for the ignition, fork lock, and seat lock. I tried to find the vendor I used 5 years ago, but my purchase history doesn’t go back that far. I checked today and there are a few vendors selling Honda keys from $8 -$20. Search for motorcycle keys cut to code.

eBay is certainly one way, however any VHT member needing a key is welcome to send me a PM with their key code. I have several thousand original keys in which there are different styles of T keys, H keys, and the later 5 digit keys with the plastic tops. Provided I have a match the T and H keys are $6 each mailed anywhere in the continental US.

eBay is certainly one way, however any VHT member needing a key is welcome to send me a PM with their key code. I have several thousand original keys in which there are different styles of T keys, H keys, and the later 5 digit keys with the plastic tops. Provided I have a match the T and H keys are $6 each mailed anywhere in the continental US.

I may need to take you up on this. I noticed while I was testing my lights that my key has a bit of a crack in it and just turning the key has bent it a bit. Only a matter of time before it totally snaps off. I can't recall if I got two keys when I bought the bike, I'll look around and if I didn't I'll reach out to you to see if you have something compatible.

Back
Top Bottom