• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1981 CM400A Fork Air Hose Removal

Micoviso

Total Posts
Total likes
I'm preparing to change the fork seals on this bike. There is an air hose from one fork to the other. The left end has 2 14mm fittings, and 1 fitting on right. I don't see anything in the service manual on the proper way to remove this hose or any videos. I can easily break free the fitting from the left fork, but if I turn it, the hose starts to twist. I'm assuming there's something that needs to be done with the second fitting on the left, but wanted to ask before I go turning things?

Moved to SOHC 400 Steering, Suspension and Frame section

I've never had to deal with interconnected forks myself. Is it possible the other end of the line is a left hand thread so both would turn the same direction if loosened at the same time? If you can't find anything in the FSM about it, LDR will be along a little later and he will know.

I'll break the right side free to see which thread it is. If standard, I'll probably stop there until someone can advise. Thanks.
Moved to SOHC 400 Steering, Suspension and Frame section

I've never had to deal with interconnected forks myself. Is it possible the other end of the line is a left hand thread so both would turn the same direction if loosened at the same time? If you can't find anything in the FSM about it, LDR will be along a little later and he will know.

I figured it out. If you hold the inside 14mm on the left side, you can turn the outside 14mm to take it off without twisting the hose. Not in the FSM that I could find.

Yeah, they left that out of the FSM, one side is a screw on fitting to a coupler screwed into the cap and the other side is just the hose screwed into the cap.

Back
Top Bottom