• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Imperial vs Metric tyre sizing

Richard Pitman

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I've looked at various conversion charts but am still a bit puzzled, wondering about fitting more modern tyres.

What is a 90/90 18 tyre equivalent to in old sizing? 3.25 18 ? 3.50 18 ?

Does it need a 1.6, 1.85 or wider rim ?

Apart from the Dunlop K82, I can't find a decent modern road tyre in those sizes.

I've looked at various conversion charts but am still a bit puzzled, wondering about fitting more modern tyres.

What is a 90/90 18 tyre equivalent to in old sizing? 3.25 18 ? 3.50 18 ? Simply convert mm to inches, 90 mm = 3.543" (width) x 90% of that/ 3.189" height/aspect

Does it need a 1.6, 1.85 or wider rim ? Follow tyre manufacturers guidelines....

Apart from the Dunlop K82, I can't find a decent modern road tyre in those sizes.

IN BLUE ABOVE.....

Thanks. Just googling this, it seems to be a FAQ going back several years, with no really definitive answer to it.

I get the tyre width part OK now, it's the rim width that seems to be a grey area. Looks like 90/90 MIGHT be OK on a 1.85 rim, the Michelins I was looking at don't have a rim width guideline.

One way to find out, I suppose ….

To partially answer my own question, just on visual appearance alone, the 90/90 18 Michelin Pilot Street rear tyre, mounted on a 1.85 rim, looks similar to 3.00 18 CST K70 pattern tyre mounted on a 1.60 rim, both in tread width and crown height. A 3.25 K82 on a 1.85 rim actually appears slightly wider, same height.

I'm tempted to pop these wheels into my CB175, see what they ride like, but that's an experiment for a week or so in the future.

EDIT Except nothing is that simple. I've fitted a CB200 chainset to these wheels, so I'll have to swap chain and front sprocket as well, if I try the above idea …

Whilst further researching tyres, I found this handy table on the Avon website, relates to their Street Runner tyres. Interesting to compare the 90/90 tyre with the 3.00 18 tyre, also to read their suggested rim widths.

Fd6cjm5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom