• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Anyone notice?

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
A day or so ago we passed the 30,000 total posts mark... and we're at nearly 2700 total threads as well. Currently with 774 members I'm not sure we'll make 1000 members by the 1 year mark, it's less than 2 months away now.

Hey Tom ...don't sweat the numbers .... 30,000 posts and 774 members that is awesome for 10 months !!! Here at VHT is quality over quantity all day long !!!! :biggrin:

I'm not sweating it, just a point of curiosity to compare to the beginning of the other forum. Yeah, I think we've done well and I'm with you, quality is what matters. I'd rather have a forum with a couple thousand great members than a disorganized, over-commercialized place where people join for a minute just to get what they want and often have attitude about it too. We already know of one of those...

Well, I signed up for that "other" place, posted 6 times (giving good advice), got attacked for it, and have no need or plan to go back. Here, on the other hand, people seem to be truly interested in the bikes and willing to give and take advice. No matter what the numbers, it is a valued source that I visit several times a day. Just keep doing what you have been doing and it will all be good in the end.

Dont forget Tom. When the old 450 DOHC forum had to close most of the members moved over en masse to the other site which hadn’t been going that long.

And that's a good point Ray. I wasn't involved at all back then, I was still waiting for life to get settled again so I could buy another bike and a 450 was in the far back corner of my mind at the time.

I think one reason folks stick with the 'other place' is because of the vast amount of archived data there, a google search for a particular bike related issue invariably leads them there.

Stating the obvious, probably ..

I still get requests for info direct from the site and feel obliged to reply. Agree that so much history is stored there and in reality it would be a shame to lose it. We have lost loads of stuff that can never be replaced on the original DOHC site. No ones fault but always at risk.

I wish I'd become re-involved before the DOHC site went away, I'm sure I would have enjoyed seeing some of the information and members there. I don't think VS will ever take HT down, it continues to be a big search engine result that attracts new members at a higher rate than we do even now. I'm sure they're still averaging 5 or more new members a day, and as long as the membership continues to increase daily they'll be getting their ad revenue which is all they care about. As long as one of us is still walking this earth, this place will continue and we will make adjustments to perpetuate it as time goes by.

A day or so ago we passed the 30,000 total posts mark... and we're at nearly 2700 total threads as well. Currently with 774 members I'm not sure we'll make 1000 members by the 1 year mark, it's less than 2 months away now.

Um... I see Members 938

Is it not more important that members feel they can contribute on a variety of subjects on a regular basis? I see lots of people just got their new project and are just looking for parts. Then nothing. That is partly what the forums are for so nothing wrong.But it is nicer when they get more involved as a community.

Is it not more important that members feel they can contribute on a variety of subjects on a regular basis? I see lots of people just got their new project and are just looking for parts. Then nothing. That is partly what the forums are for so nothing wrong.But it is nicer when they get more involved as a community.

I agree. However this seems to be a common trend online these days unfortunately. Some will join up, get their answers and then disappear.
I appreciate the ones who will actually stick around and contribute even if it's just common banter.

I agree. However this seems to be a common trend online these days unfortunately. Some will join up, get their answers and then disappear.
I appreciate the ones who will actually stick around and contribute even if it's just common banter.

Yes, our active total stays around the 350 mark no matter how many members we have, and some start a project log only to post the entire, synopsized build in a couple of posts with 10 or 15 total pictures. And some join and get started only to disappear, as you said. That's the thing about social media, it's hit and run and share very little... and it's possible that is caused by the typical negative responses so many get, and give, on places like Reddit, Instagram, FB, etc. I saw the OC Racing Knights tech teacher guy on Reddit the other day and asked why he hadn't been here since last October, and he said "I am amongst my people now that I’ve found this sub" on Reddit... so I said it was hard to understand because there, you'll get as many negative responses as positive ones and someone came on right after that and said "You sound like a half-witted, stuck up, scruffy looking nerf herder" which apparently is a Star Wars quote (have no clue, don't care) but it was quite typical the way it was put. And of course, it can be a lot worse.

Back
Top Bottom