• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

IMD Pistons

Scootman

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Anyone ever used IMD Pistons? I'm looking at some piston kits for my '71 CB175 rebuild, IMD Pistons seem to make a kit for it. Has anyone ever used them before? good/bad experience? run away? They are out of England and make a ton of kits for many bikes for over 30 years! I'm thinking if they made a bad product they wouldn't be around this long, but I'm no expert. So, I spoke to a local mechanic around me and he was spouting something about silicon content in aftermarket pistons etc. and there's a lot of junk, and that has me thinking if I should go with NOS/OEM parts. there are a few guys on ebay selling NOS parts out of Thailand but twice the price as these IMD's plus not knowing if they'll even arrive. Other option is from several guys selling one cylinder here and another there and then I can basket case it all together with rings from someone else and gudgeon pins from someone else etc.. I'd rather have a kit.
Also, for the first bore with some cylinder wear would you go 0.5mm or 1.0mm oversize?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks

IMD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen these before but they look ok. Out of 83 reviews they're a 98% good to excellent https://www.trustpilot.com/review/imdpistons.com?languages=en
Here's an alternative I am familiar with and they been used by many people https://www.cruzinimage.net/category/item/itemgenre/motorcycle/honda/pistons-honda/page/4/

Thanks for the reply, the issue I have with the cruzin image is that they are based overseas, I'm just hesitant to purchase anything overseas right now. I'll do a little more research and see what I can find. FWIW the bad reviews on the IMD's aren't even based on the product, it's more of a customer service issue that was eventually resolved.

Thanks for the reply, the issue I have with the cruzin image is that they are based overseas, I'm just hesitant to purchase anything overseas right now. I'll do a little more research and see what I can find. FWIW the bad reviews on the IMD's aren't even based on the product, it's more of a customer service issue that was eventually resolved.

OK, I'm confused. Not ordering from CruzinImage because they're overseas but OK with IMD in the UK. Even the eBay store is UK based.
Yeah, CS complaints aren't worth much usually but sometimes they give you a feel for how the company operates when things go wrong.

Oh.. the IMD piston co. has a distributor in Kentucky, Zinnco is the Ebay user, authorized dealer in USA... Lol, sorry to have confused you, I do that a lot. ✌

. . . I've heard wild rumors of 750cc 4 cylinder pistons but haven't heard if that entails new liners or just bores. . .

Hi there. I have a CB175 and did have a CB750 K1 back in 1971. The problem you might have is with compression because the CB175 pistons are domed, whereas the early CB750 pistons are flat topped. Of course that doesn't relate TOTALLY to the compression ratio, but I hope someone might offer you something more definitive on that score. By the way, I have used IMD in my 175 and am perfectly happy. (y)

Huh? Seems rodcarlile deleted his post as I was typing.

Last edited:
Not sure if the 175 liners have enough meat in them. As I recall, a UK member named Brush had a CB200 taken out to 249cc using pistons from another bike, possibly CB750. CB200 has bigger gudgeon (piston) pins than the 175, also 200 liners won't fit through top of 175 cases without mods.

Brush's engine blew up eventually .....

I want to ask about the IMD pistons and especially piston rings.
Can any of you tell me about the quality of them?
Do you know if IMD sources these pistons/rings from China,then are marketed by IMD? or is IMD the true manufacturer of them in the UK ??

What does the packaging on the kits say ?

It's really not clear to me. Their blurb says that they've been producing pistons and rings for 40 years, I'd always assumed UK made. Very much doubt that they come from China, given that timescale. As for quality, Allen Millyard uses their rings, and he's not one to cut corners.

It's really not clear to me. Their blurb says that they've been producing pistons and rings for 40 years, I'd always assumed UK made. Very much doubt that they come from China, given that timescale. As for quality, Allen Millyard uses their rings, and he's not one to cut corners.
Thanks Richard,I was most concerned with the quality of the rings ;)

I installed these pistons a while back and haven't had any issues so far. I don't have a lot of miles on the engine after the rebuild so I cannot comment on long term. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer about the rings either, I never thought to ask where they were sourced from. As you are aware they are from the UK but not sure where they are actually made. They came in a white box with no writing as seen in the photo above. I took a pic after installing them but I never took a pic of the rings. Everything seemed of decent quality when I was installing them, and I don't remember complaining of their quality. Have you reached out to IMD?

20200625_193441.jpg

I want to ask about the IMD pistons and especially piston rings.
Do you know if IMD sources these pistons/rings from China,then are marketed by IMD? or is IMD the true manufacturer of them in the UK ??

Hi there,

I will provide some information for yourself, and for any other rider or enthusiast who is looking for information about our products.

1. Our pistons are cast, in Taiwan. We do use a factory in Japan for some pistons, however in my personal opinion, a statement I will make is this. The quality of Japanese produced parts has somewhat been neglected over the years, due to a popular opinion amongst riders, certain productions of certain parts see a lower level of quality control vs that of another nation (who has ultimately more to prove to the world)

2. IMD is the manufacturing agent, as we produce these, market them, and distribute them all under one company, IMD Pistons.

3. We do not source any parts from China, and I did see another user mention production in India, which I can also inform you, is not correct. We have never produced any part from China nor India, nor do we plan to in the near future.

4. I will tell you (slightly bias of course), our quality is very good. In our company, we have over 60+ years of combined knowledge surrounding pistons, and with experience ranging from piston production work, to marketing, machining, cylinder sleeving & alterations, all the way through to Research & Development. On average, our pistons take 3-4 months just in the design phase, as we often implement other variables into our design, from obsolete manufacturers, or information we have gathered over the years.

5. Our rings are usually FCD steel, treated with a chromium plating to ensure no scuffs or seizing in the bores. We use an ultra low tension compound to allow for larger than average ring gaps, which we purposely have designed to allow excess gases to escape without causing any rings to be broken or seized. Depending on the piston, and the size, dictates the metallurgic property of the ring itself.

I will be monitoring this forum on a semi regular basis, if anyone at all has any questions, or needs advice about any parts we produce, or something you would like to see produced, dont hesitate to drop me a message or reply to this thread.

Andrew
Director

I installed these pistons a while back and haven't had any issues so far. I don't have a lot of miles on the engine after the rebuild so I cannot comment on long term. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer about the rings either, I never thought to ask where they were sourced from. As you are aware they are from the UK but not sure where they are actually made. They came in a white box with no writing as seen in the photo above. I took a pic after installing them but I never took a pic of the rings. Everything seemed of decent quality when I was installing them, and I don't remember complaining of their quality. Have you reached out to IMD?

View attachment 28058
Oh,you don't know ?

Ask them. Here is their email

Oh,you don't know ?

Only answering a few of your questions from my experience using the brand. As OP of the thread I thought you were asking. Hope you found what you were looking for.

Only answering a few of your questions from my experience using the brand. As OP of the thread I thought you were asking. Hope you found what you were looking for.
I suspect he didn't notice the date of the original post, it's easy to understand why you wouldn't remember much about the information included with the pistons after 3.5 years.

I somehow missed Andrew's response from IMD concerning their pistons and rings. Their rings seemed to be very accurately made and I would not hesitate to use them for a rings only replacement.

I wish the IMD's were easier to find here for the 350's. Kevin at ScramblerCycle sold me my 305 piston kits which I liked very much.

Back
Top Bottom