• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

SL175 sprockets

robbnc

Total Posts
Total likes
Just wondered what sprockets anyone might be running on their SL175, and how happy they are with their setups off-road vs road. Looks like stock was either 15/43 or 16/43 depending on which fiche you look at. At some point in my SL’s past someone has installed 17/38, presumably for a world speed record attempt. I will be riding trails with some occasional backroad runs, so I’m guessing stock or just a little lower. Any input appreciated!

Yeah, 17/38 is closer to road race gearing for an engine that small and it will never pull even 4th gear well on the road. The 16 tooth front appears to be stock, the fiche at Partzilla shows 15 as optional. I wouldn't go smaller than 15 on the front primarily because the smaller the front sprocket the faster the chain wears. Stock gearing was good for close to 80 mph indicated, I owned a new SL175K0 during my first Honda shop job. If you only plan to ride back roads occasionally, go larger on the rear by around 5 to 6 teeth and you'll get a lot more acceleration while probably losing about 10 mph top speed

Thanks for that info. That’s kinda what I was thinking. I don’t need 80mph on this thing, just a steady 50 will probably do just fine. 70 for short duration would be acceptable. 15/46 was what I had in mind but considering your info I may just make it 15/ 48. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom