• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Removing CB72 Clutch Adjusting screw and mechanism

Pridanc

Total Posts
Total likes
Folks,
After sourcing an old CB72/77 side cover, I'm in the process of cleaning prior to polishing it.
I'm fairly good at this stuff but I'm stuck on this mainly because I don't want to add to my work by damaging this.

As most know there is a slotted adjustment screw in the side case (almost dead center in the first picture) that is used to adjust the clutch release mechanism.

On the other side of the case (the inside) we can see the part that twists when we turn the adjustment screw from the outside. If you look closely it is the only part that sticks up out of the case and has a hole in it. It is the upper of the two holes if that helps.

My question is this: How the heck do you get them apart so they can be removed from the case?
20210310_094203.jpg20210310_094212.jpg
Thanks in advance and yes I do respond to "hey dummy...use a jack-hammer" or what ever it is you would like to say. I'm all ears.

I'll leave this thread here as long as you continue it with the refinishing/polishing part of the effort (if not, it should be moved to the 250/305 section strictly for the clutch adjuster removal part).

Once the clamp the holds the adjuster in position after adjustment is removed - and it clearly is - the adjuster center (with the giant flat blade screwdriver slot in it) should just tap out of the cover. It might be tight, but it is intended to rotate in the cover for the adjustment so it will simply push out of the cover with enough cautious force.

When you get that piece out, notice the small notch on the outer face of the part? There is a small raised dot on the side cover, when it goes back together, line up the notch with that dot. That is the beginning position clutch adjustment.

with the giant flat blade screwdriver slot in it

Actually, it's not meant for a screwdriver but for a coin. When you look closely, I will see that the depth of the slot has an arc shape, the same arc shape as a larger coin. Using the proper tool (coin) it will stay in good shape.

Actually, it's not meant for a screwdriver but for a coin. When you look closely, I will see that the depth of the slot has an arc shape, the same arc shape as a larger coin. Using the proper tool (coin) it will stay in good shape.

Thanks Jensen, but I was only using the word "screwdriver" to describe the flat slot. Also, I don't ever remember Honda saying anything about the use of a large coin to adjust the clutch but it's a good idea

A large screwdriver will destroy the slot, as many are destroyed beyond repair, that's why I responded to your post. Instead of a large coin, you can use the flat side of one of the tools in the original tool box.

Back
Top Bottom