• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB160 silencers (mufflers) made to special order (in UK)

Racingt

Total Posts
Total likes
I discovered rot in my original Honda silencers, and very quickly afterwards, how impossible it is to obtain replica or NOS silencers for a CB160.
Main issue is the small internal diameter (32mm) of the inlet pipe, the length of 790mm and the 1960's style 'fish mouth' exhaust exit.
I hunted high and low on the internet - saw one pair of NOS silencers go for £800 ($1200). Way more than I wished to spend.
I saw a company advertise manufacturing classic exhausts - not Japanese though. Armours Motor Products of Bournemouth. They had a silence for a Villers engine, that looked the best fit for my bike. I called and they agreed to have a go. In fact I called several times, they are a good company to deal with.
They explained that each of their Villiers silencers can be made with a bespoke inlet diameter, length, and fitments, so they could make silencers that worked as a replacement.
They use different manufacturing techniques to the original Honda silencers, so instead of two halves (one flat, one semi circular), pressed together and welded, they make a one piece circular silencer. Also the clamp to the downpipe is different and the diffuser pipe is not employed. This silencer is definitely a replacement, not a replica, and I was comfortable with this as a compromise, for the price of £260/pair.
Creating these was very labour intensive, I sent many drawings and really only got traction when I dropped off my precious originals for Armours to copy.
Once built, the silencers were returned before chroming, so I could fit them up to the bike and suggest any alterations required to the fit. The original mounting points were copied.
This 'fitting' step was vital and I suggested several changes to the mounts.
Silencers were returned to Armours, then chromed and returned to me. I waited a long time for this process, this company was busy and it seems every classic bike in the UK was rebuilt during the pandemic.
Fitting was relatively easy. See pictures for the new silencers versus the (seamed) originals and also bike with them fitted.
It is too soon to comment on the performance, I've got fuelling problems! They sound healthy enough though!.
So, cut along story short, if you can find the right company, and build a relationship, then you can get a pretty good product for a fair price. Be patient though, good craftsmen always have plenty of work!

A002DBC3-1D14-4277-B664-43CCDFDBADAD_1_201_a.jpg1509B826-FBDA-4506-82A5-3661FB6D88AB_1_201_a.jpg0BE2F856-9923-44F1-BA8A-707B0FEFA30B_1_201_a.jpg

Good to hear there are still some craftsmen out there who do good quality custom work for a fair price. They look very nice and certainly an appropriate replacement for a non-concours situation.

Yes, Richard, that included chroming.
I paid a bit of extra postage to have them delivered before the chroming process so I could fit them up & suggest changes. Importantly, I didn't start the bike during this process, because the chromer's do not work with dirty exhausts - the exhaust residues contaminate their process. Thanks for including the link - I should have done that last night.

Back
Top Bottom