• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Looking for suggestions to repair / replace the exhaust on my '76 CJ360T

old river rat

Total Posts
Total likes
This winter I've been working on multiple motorcycle projects and I'm just getting to the 3rd one, my 1976 CJ360T.

Among the things that need attention is the exhaust. The original muffler has some holes rusted through. When it was last running (some years ago now) it had a nice enough throaty sound like that, but I'd not want it to be substantially louder.

I've found that some things about this bike are a bit uncommon so that some parts, like the gas tank, were apparently unique to it, hence expensive. Unlike the CB series, the CJ has a two into one exhaust collector and a single muffler, so I'm assuming that it's also going to be difficult & expensive to find a stock style replacement muffler. Since I'm not concerned with keeping it original (just want a nice, around town bike to ride) I am open to suggestions.

If there IS a stock style replacement you know of, please tell me, but I'd also like to hear from anyone who's installed an aftermarket kit on a CJ360 that's throaty but not really loud.

Thanks in advance.

Yes that CJ exhaust is tricky to replace. I’m in the exact same boat. I have found a knockoff Chinese muffler for a BMW F800GS fits straight up to collector outlet, which is a difficult size. I’m waiting for my headers to return from powder coating and then hang it to determine where to mount an exhaust support.
b36dbaee8dfed8ce9b77e5ab37d958cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response... got another question

Yes that CJ exhaust is tricky to replace. I’m in the exact same boat. I have found a knockoff Chinese muffler for a BMW F800GS fits straight up to collector outlet, which is a difficult size. I’m waiting for my headers to return from powder coating and then hang it to determine where to mount an exhaust support.

Yes, the more I look around for parts, the more I've realized what an odd duck the CJ is. The pipes and collector on mine are just in so-so condition so after searching for and not finding a ready replacement system, I gritted my teeth and ordered one of the systems from Predator Motorsport in the UK.

https://predatormotorsport.co.uk/honda-cj250t-cj360t-predator-2-1-exhaust-system-road-in-s-steel/

Another thing I need to address is the seat. The top of mine is in OK shape, but there are a couple tears in either side that will probably get worse with use. I like the looks of the café style seat you have. Is is off the shelf or something custom made ?

Thanks again for replying; this is a helpful friendly group.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
The seat is the “Brisbane” model from 4into1. It’s longer than the cheap ones on eBay. It’s a bit more money but fit my bike better.
81a761b66109525b7e086fd717d7f776.jpg

9ae547bb20e8137c0f595b9c06440783.jpg

Great info - thanks!

Hey, thanks for the details. I'll look it up. I like the idea of the integrated lights.

The seat is the “Brisbane” model from 4into1. It’s longer than the cheap ones on eBay. It’s a bit more money but fit my bike better.
81a761b66109525b7e086fd717d7f776.jpg

9ae547bb20e8137c0f595b9c06440783.jpg

You can also find the seat on eBay if you search “Brisbane seat”. Still 4into1 selling there but it may work better on shipping costs.
I found the LED hoop on eBay. So hard to find the right diameter and width. I bought 2, thinking I’d use one for the red bike you can see in the background, but have decided to stay stock on that one. I’d sell the second one if you have an interest.

Back
Top Bottom