• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Intermittent sputtering - CB450K3

I’m gonna butt my head into a 450 thread for a hot second, because we’re talking the same plugs.

Anyone ever used one of these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunex-Tools-Spark-Plug-Cleaner-3912/314055714

Seems low risk for $30 (HF I think has it for cheaper) and from what I understand people used to use these all the time?

Hoping it can help recover some of my spark plugs from when I was still getting the bike tuned in.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

My Dad used to have one of those back in the day and they work fine to a point, but fouled plugs never clean up completely so it doesn't work on all plugs regardless of condition. Does help clean up plugs that were just heavily carboned up due to richness or light oil burning

Right. I’ve got 1/2 dozen unused plugs, really just looking for a way to keep recycling the “tuning” plugs so I don’t mess up the good ones.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

^^^Even though it has always looked this good... :) glad it's running better 'cause it sure looks the part. What is that place? Quite the interesting sight

Thanks for the kind words. It’s a man-made recreational lake I stumbled upon called Fishhawk Lake in the coastal range of Oregon. That round drain flows under the levee the bike is sitting on and into Fishhawk Creek, an idyllic forest stream that winds through farmland. The lake is mainly surrounded by A-frames of different size. It was quite the unique spot!

I’m gonna butt my head into a 450 thread for a hot second, because we’re talking the same plugs.

Anyone ever used one of these?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunex-Tools-Spark-Plug-Cleaner-3912/314055714

Seems low risk for $30 (HF I think has it for cheaper) and from what I understand people used to use these all the time?

Hoping it can help recover some of my spark plugs from when I was still getting the bike tuned in.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350
Every auto repair shop and garage had at least one of those in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Pretty well gone but not forgotten now a days. They sort of work but only for cleaning off exterior deposits and unless the plug gets cleaned really good some of the sand can be dumped into the cylinder not to mention it also sticks on the threads and can bugger up those threads.

I found some pictures :

Check the inside of the cap if it has this screw inside:
spark plug cap part what goes on the plug.jpg

Unscrew it, take the resistor out and replace with a thick copper wire:

spark plug cap with the screw with pin.jpg

Place the inner part back, and you're done:

original cap.jpg

Ha, I forgot that I transferred the pictures to this forum. I really hope that this forum stay's for a while, too much time and effort is lost to write information that goes down the drain.

Ha, I forgot that I transferred the pictures to this forum.
Yes, and that applies to the older versions which I mentioned in my thread for the newer style. When there are no screwdriver slots in the connector for the terminal stud on the plug, then that end of the plug cap can't be safely disassembled. Glad you found the pictures here.
I really hope that this forum stay's for a while
Since HT is all about the money since VerticalScope turned it into another ad revenue stream, it's less likely that HT will go away. And we have no plans to go away either.

Back
Top Bottom