• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Rebuilding 1972 Honda CB175K5.

Clewless

Total Posts
Total likes
Rebuilding 1972 Honda CB175 5k. Ordered these parts from schematic on Partzilla. I remember seeing them, back in the day, on Honda bikes. Never understood their purpose. Upon breaking down my current project they were not present. There are no dimples or locating marks as to where exactly they should be placed. I believe that they were (and are suppose to be placed) between the cylinder and the head, between the cooling fins, in the 4 outermost corners. For the life of me I can not figure out what purpose that they would serve. Harmonic dampers?? Vibration control?? Is someone in Japan laughing at me right now?? Anyone have any ideas??

IMG-3996.jpgIMG-3997.jpgIMG-4001.jpg

Pretty sure you mean CB175K5 and yes, they're just dampers that the engine can live without. No one in Japan is laughing at you, they made plenty of money from these great twins they sold so many of :) Honda calls them insert rubbers... now THAT'S funny

In "Wheels, tires and brakes section, RP noted that he was/is a "peg rubber". My days of "How far can I lean?" or "How fast can I take this corner?" have become "How much will it hurt (or cost) if the tire breaks free?".
Finished putting motor (1972 CB 175K5) together and have logged 100 miles. All appears well. Planning on oil change about 250 miles and still continue break-in to about 500 miles as has been recommended elsewhere in this forum. Noted that 60 mph is about 7K on tach. After break-in, how high on the tach is "prudent"? I know the red line is 10.5K, BUT enjoy riding the little bike and would hate to blow it up. Most of my riding has been on HD with a 5.6 red line. Any thoughts?

Your experiences with the Harley have your ears thinking the 175 will explode if the entire redline range is used... as long as the engine is put together properly and broken in sufficiently, these engines love to rev. If my 450 with aftermarket cams will turn between 10,500 and 11,000 practically every time I ride it (well, not constantly) and go down the drag strips doing the same thing multiple runs, you don't need to worry about using the engine to its fullest extent. Take a listen to the "ride along at the drag strip" link in my signature so you don't worry. :)

In "Wheels, tires and brakes section, RP noted that he was/is a "peg rubber". My days of "How far can I lean?" or "How fast can I take this corner?" have become "How much will it hurt (or cost) if the tire breaks free?".

I was 18 years old when I was doing that. Just used to bounce when I fell off. Colleagues at the lunch time swimming pool sessions used to laugh at my latest set of bruises.

I'm now 67. I fell over while walking the dog last year, dislocated my shoulder, still gives me grief. One more fall off the bike and it'll be game over. Ought to make me think, but then I get out there and forget …..

I also used to have 60mph as my all day cruising speed, and used to see how far I could get the needle into the 10.5k+ redzone. With regular oil changes, bike was still running fine at 22k miles when I traded it in. These days, I still touch the redline, but bike(s) feel happier at 50-55mph for extended periods. Extra few pounds since I was 18 as well ..

I was 18 years old when I was doing that. Just used to bounce when I fell off. Colleagues at the lunch time swimming pool sessions used to laugh at my latest set of bruises.

I'm now 67. I fell over while walking the dog last year, dislocated my shoulder, still gives me grief. One more fall off the bike and it'll be game over. Ought to make me think, but then I get out there and forget …..

I also used to have 60mph as my all day cruising speed, and used to see how far I could get the needle into the 10.5k+ redzone. With regular oil changes, bike was still running fine at 22k miles when I traded it in. These days, I still touch the redline, but bike(s) feel happier at 50-55mph for extended periods. Extra few pounds since I was 18 as well ..

Truisms, all the bold above.

Back
Top Bottom