• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Anyone having page loading speed issues?

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
I was told last night that pages were loading slowly and typing in threads was difficult as well. Personally, I'm finding the site to be decently fast so far, even as we've grown like crazy in the first full week... but, if anyone is experiencing any extended-period slowdowns - and remember that internet congestion comes and goes with the time of day and the day of the week - then please let us know. There may, or may not, be anything we can do about it depending on the circumstances, but if/when at some point we need to move up with our server package to handle more traffic, we will do so.

Thanks

No slowness here at all, in fact I've been very impressed with the speed to be honest. Not sure what 'typing in threads' refers to but by the sounds of it, it may be actual computer slowness.

Sorry, to be more clear the reference was to posting a response to a thread. The user is on an iPad, which typically work well and as most of us know, Apple usually gets more out of their processors than Microsuck does on an equal-spec computer. He's also on HT and has no trouble there, even last night at the same time he was frustrated with the performance here. And I advised him how to check his internet speed as well, and it isn't that on his end.

And I should add that despite our initial growth, we are still at slightly less than 10% capacity of our server space right now (bandwidth usage notwithstanding, I don't know those figures yet). In less than 6 days we've reached 119 members, 229 threads and 1597 posts.

when replying to posts I have found that every so often the text entry box freezes so you can no longer enter text. The reply interface still works (you can select text with your mouse or use the icons) and I have noticed that if you highlight some text when it happens and then use one of the formatting icons (bold, italic, underline) you can the immediately start typing again.

I need to do a bit more experimentation to see if there is a pattern, but it seems intermittent (it happened a couple of times when I began this post, and then has not happened since).

This is on a chrome browser running on a mac.

other than that I have found the site performance fine and there is no delay viewing pages, searching etc.

Sounds like network/provider problems, to me. There's a lot of network overloading going around lately.

It's not a surprise really considering that there are a lot more people working from home now due to COVID-19
All that additional load will slow things down considerably.

I typically view the site on my new computer (Windows/macOS with wired connection) and find the speed great. After work today I'll give it a try on the iPad and Android phone to see if there is any discernable difference. I'll let you know what I find.

Yes Perry, please do try navigating the site with the IPad on your WiFi connection. I’m interested in anyone’s experience using that device to see how it compares to my experiences. Thanks!

Sunday night in prime time is a general slow-down most everywhere as far as internet speeds go. Unless you are on fiber optic internet, you will feel a slow-down. From the description of typing not catching up on screen, that's mostly browser-based and not forum-based. Plug-ins, extensions, ads, scripts and all sorts of things can bloat your internet-using experience into a slow down.

Also keep in mind that the first iPad came out a year after this version of forum software was released. At a certain point, new technology will put older website forum systems in the rear-view mirror. It's the single reason why HT moved from vB4 to XenForo, not because of the social media interaction or anything else. While the large majority of vBulletin users are still using vB4 very successfully, there will be a time when it will be completely obsolete with advancing browser technology. It's not now, though, or really any time in the foreseeable immediate future.

Remember that we are using the EXACT same forum software that HT was on less than 6 months ago.

when replying to posts I have found that every so often the text entry box freezes so you can no longer enter text. The reply interface still works (you can select text with your mouse or use the icons) and I have noticed that if you highlight some text when it happens and then use one of the formatting icons (bold, italic, underline) you can the immediately start typing again.

I need to do a bit more experimentation to see if there is a pattern, but it seems intermittent (it happened a couple of times when I began this post, and then has not happened since).

This is on a chrome browser running on a mac.

other than that I have found the site performance fine and there is no delay viewing pages, searching etc.

That almost exactly describes the issues I've experienced. It doesn't happen on other fora, so I'm pretty sure it's not a browser issue.

I will hold my nose and try and do a post later using safari* - I will let you know how it goes!

*I predict that Safari is going to become the IE6 of the 2020s. No offence mac fans :)

IE6?? You may as well have said Netscape Navigator ;) I certainly hope Safari is more secure than it once was

*I predict that Safari is going to become the IE6 of the 2020s. No offence mac fans :)

Except Safari is the default for both desktops and iphones/ipads and Apple isn't going to let it go anywhere anytime soon. ;)

Chrome has a few known issues with vB4, so if you are using Chrome and find typing/formatting/text issues, try Safari, Brave or Firefox to see if the problem persists.

Except Safari is the default for both desktops and iphones/ipads and Apple isn't going to let it go anywhere anytime soon. ;)

Chrome has a few known issues with vB4, so if you are using Chrome and find typing/formatting/text issues, try Safari, Brave or Firefox to see if the problem persists.

I was able to reproduce the problem ninteen70moto:

if I edit an existing post in Chrome then, once the post opens for editing, I can't change any text until I interact with the UI (eg by making a word bold) at which point I can start editing. The problem reoccurs periodically afterwards (after an autosave?) and can be fixed by again interacting with the formatting menu. As you say this does seem to be Chrome specific and the same does not happen when I use horrible old Safari.

Not a major problem btw, I just thought the extra detail might be of use to others.

* edit to add, I have just edited this post in Chrome and the problem did not reoccur. Most odd!

.. I am just going to add an external image link to see if that is the difference between this post and the others I tested on.

ACtC-3fsPBP0MWTeR_yqSV86-t5tPbZqKEmtOtSfgbXV6SbXudrKR5sP2UVutNj1dm_flmqYqYE_XJzZUf_2did5KmDO1qbF7aWEzWCy9PEr9yxg00FSZDSWwOcmzlsYWvnLEphbmYBcZtdpYwKmSy-x-Su8Xg=w747-h996-no

... yep, that seems to be it - something to do with the image is triggering the problem I think.

Nick, if you are a Chrome user on a Mac, you should try this... https://brave.com/

Everything that Chrome does well, but better, and way more secure and private. I think you'll like it.

I tried again with a clean install of brave (no pluggins etc) and the problem reoccurs so perhaps there is something in the original chromium project that causes the issue. in any case, since only me and Richard have reported it and there is an easy work around we may as well park this issue - perhaps it will be resolved by a future release. cheers!

Back
Top Bottom