• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

The Honda Racing Dream - dirt track version!

oupa

Total Posts
Total likes
Hey guys, I haven't been around in a while. Tied up with research but several days ago someone pointed out something I'd overlooked in an original vintage photo from 1963 that is currently in my possession as part of a project. It was a photo of the late Gary Nixon, two-time AMA Grand National Championship national champion, racing a 305 Honda! As the discussion morphed and I spoke to a couple other interested parties, two more surprises came to light. Cal Rayborn and Sammy Tanner riding Hondas to!!!! :biggrin:

Much is made of the Honda NS & RS750 days in AMA Grand National dirt track racing, but this previous history was totally unknown by me... until now.
Enjoy!

Honda-Racing-Dreams.png

In the Nixon photo, Gary was sponsored by a Triumph dealer in suburban Washington D.C., Bob Myers / Freestate Cycle. Bob also sold Honda, among several other brands. At the time there was a "heavy" class and a "Lightweight" class for TT races. I have photos of Gary racing his signature Triumph that day, but apparently, they had decided to try the Honda on the TT course in the lightweight division. The class was won by two Harley Sprints and a Parilla 1,2,3. Perhaps that is the reason there aren't more photos of Gary Nixon racing a Dream. :sorry:

"The flying flea" though obviously won Ascot at least once on his Honda.

Wow, never knew. Very cool find, I love that kind of stuff from Honda's (and racing's) past.

I'd love to know more about these bikes. Specifically about the frames!!!

Nixon's has down tubes but the other two appear not to. Rayborn is running the stock front wheel. Tanner is actually taking a victory lap after WINNING the legendary Ascot speedway race. Also, these aren't just guys from the local shop running "sportsman" class races. All three were top end Grand National Championship contenders. Nixon as noted, a two-time winner. Totally blindsided me!

I'm sitting on a collection of around 1000 photos from the 60's & 70's. I'm going to be paying A LOT closer attention from here out!

Yep, I know all 3 names from following the Grand National circuit while reading the glut of motorcycle magazines in my teens after getting started riding. The stuff of legend then, particularly Rayborn and Nixon.

On a completely different note, your post above was number 25,000 in VHT history. (y)

I owned a 305 Honda scrambler back in the early '70s, rode the wheels off that bike. Didn't know they raced them. Great motorcycle, good power, handled great, good off road. We used to go hill climbing with it for fun. It did everything well.

Cal’s bike looks like a Dream! It has the big leading link fork on it.

Back
Top Bottom