• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

450 Land Speed Record?

Jays100

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Just out of curiosity, is there a land speed record on a 450?

what speed?

what class?

link to a build or you tube?

Thanks, yeah, I found that but deciphering the codes is a challenge. Haven’t found that decoder ring as yet.

Wouldn’t the 450’s run in the 500 class?

ive done a lot of racing but nothing LSR.

what is the speed to beat...what is a goal? So far, just musing.

So.....

In my area is the Loring Timing Association, in Maine. A precursor to Bonneville. It appears that a M G (modified, gas) motorcycle in the 500cc class (there may be other mods allowed or disallowed that would change the classification) speed to beat is 127mph.

The 450’s are considered Classic (model years 1956-1986), modified would allow different carbs and exhaust but requires OEM cases, head and cylinder. Requires use of their approved fuel, gasoline, with their seal on the container after filling. Appears any other mod internally, I.e. cams, pistons, primary gearing are allowed. Unknown if electronic ignition is included.

Frame mods allowed in anything but Production classes (P classes must also retain e-start). Safety wire for for literally anything fluid or structure and a tethered kill switch.

Im intrigued!

Last edited:
Definitely an intriguing thought. One of Terry Naughtin's 450 road racers went 134 mph on the straightaways at Daytona one year, heavily modified and full fairing of course.

Rules interpretation contd.
One magneto allowed
Must be a naked configuration, no fairing/streamlining of any sort (hmm, would a “rotated up” headlight be considered streamlining?)

@ancientdad, tracks like Daytona are considered to have still air so high speeds are quite believable, especially when fully faired.

While we call our bikes “vintage” (following DMV guidelines) it appears the LSR folks call them “classic” following Bonneville Racing guidelines. Not basic age, but a model year range. As noted above, 1956-1986.

Hmmm, this begs the question if I can use, say, a 1984 front suspension on a 1972 frame? would that be an acceptable interpretation? I’d like to use a 79 CB750 front on my 450. Still 35mm tubes but a ribbed slider. But, could that rib be interpreted as aerodynamic improvement and therefore disallowed?

Last edited:
Rules interpretation contd.
One magneto allowed
Must be a naked configuration, no fairing/streamlining of any sort (hmm, would a “rotated up” headlight be considered streamlining?)

@ancientdad, tracks like Daytona are considered to have still air so high speeds are quite believable, especially when fully faired.

I had wondered that as well, and had seen somewhere that - yes - it would be.

There was some rule about having the headlight in a vertical position or something like that, but different sanctioning bodies have different rules.

Definitely an intriguing thought. One of Terry Naughtin's 450 road racers went 134 mph on the straightaways at Daytona one year, heavily modified and full fairing of course.
Terry pulls out all the stops for sure. He knows the 450 inside and out.

It would be really tough to get even reasonably close to those numbers.

Re headlight, I guess no headlight then, or really really small?

Modified “M” class frames can be raked out for supposed high spd stability enhancement (and within 68” wheelbase max) so a number plate/spoiler would then be legal?

Understanding the nuances of the rules could make one very devious!

Is the speed to beat 111 or 127 mph? Class M G, 500/4

Back
Top Bottom