• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Help removing, cleaning and repairing exhaust headers and collection chamber

Milhouse709

Total Posts
Total likes
Thanks again guys for all the responses on my questions. This forum has been a great help so far!
I apologize for any stupid questions as I am new the vintage bike world and just don't want to make any costly or dumb errors.
I currently have a 1982 Honda CM450E Cafe Racer project. I have a replacement exhaust chamber and 2 headers ( Was 2 rusty headers and no chamber when purchased ) but they dont look to be in the greatest of shape. My question is how do I get the headers off ? ( I need them off so I can clean and adjust them to fit my bike ) How should I clean them? And how should I straighten up the chamber outlets so I can fit 2 new slip on mufflers? I have attached photos to help the process. Any help is appreciated. Apologies again if these are stupid questions.
53e9d9412460997bb6e905bb959f7098.jpg
09dfcf17db318071cfc5426f0508e68a.jpg
b5ee187160ffb72b9c3458278ab69be6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Moved to SOHC/Misc

Pictures can be deceiving but your headers look to be pretty solid, if cosmetically challenged. You might be able to get them re-chromed but fiscal responsibility would likely dictate otherwise. If they clean up good enough you might be able to paint them but wrapping them is more likely the best choice. Power chambers never look good, yours looks to be ok. Should only need some channel-locks to straighten the ears out, then either adapters or an appropriate number of wraps of exhaust gasket material to mate up to your mufflers.

The primary pipes weld themselves to the gasket which welds itself to the chamber. Massive amounts of twisting will break it free however it's not necessary. These models have the same exact pipe spacing and seal mating angle in the head regardless of the engine, 400's and 450's are all the same.
The muffler clamps for the pipe to chamber are special clamps, you can see where they grab the raised section on the 2 pieces to lock everything in place,
I would go ahead and clean them up then use the wrap as J-T suggests. You can paint them with a rust prevention paint if you like. They are double walled so rust thru isn't much of an issue.
The power chamber will be fine as is or you could get it sand blasted and paint it. Mount ears can be easily straightened. The dent in the top is of no concern.

The anvil end of a vise and some hammer TAPS will get the back opening round(ish) again........

Moved to SOHC/Misc

Pictures can be deceiving but your headers look to be pretty solid, if cosmetically challenged. You might be able to get them re-chromed but fiscal responsibility would likely dictate otherwise. If they clean up good enough you might be able to paint them but wrapping them is more likely the best choice. Power chambers never look good, yours looks to be ok. Should only need some channel-locks to straighten the ears out, then either adapters or an appropriate number of wraps of exhaust gasket material to mate up to your mufflers.
Thank you. Much appreciated!. I did forget to mention I wanted to wrap the pipes :)

The primary pipes weld themselves to the gasket which welds itself to the chamber. Massive amounts of twisting will break it free however it's not necessary. These models have the same exact pipe spacing and seal mating angle in the head regardless of the engine, 400's and 450's are all the same.
The muffler clamps for the pipe to chamber are special clamps, you can see where they grab the raised section on the 2 pieces to lock everything in place,
I would go ahead and clean them up then use the wrap as J-T suggests. You can paint them with a rust prevention paint if you like. They are double walled so rust thru isn't much of an issue.
The power chamber will be fine as is or you could get it sand blasted and paint it. Mount ears can be easily straightened. The dent in the top is of no concern.
Thanks very much! Super educational responses! A great help for me!

I'm sorry to revive an old thread but this seems pretty in line with my issue, I'm looking for the gasket that goes between the power chamber and primary pipes? I've attached a picture below of what I'm talking about. I thought these seals off 4into1 were the right ones but they're way to big in diameter, I believe they're for the union between the mufflers and the power chamber instead.
https://4into1.com/muffler-gasket-18392-mg7-750-honda-cb-cm400-450-cx-gl500-650-1000/
53e9d9412460997bb6e905bb959f7098~2.jpg20220611_211805.jpg

They are pretty easy to make from high temp gasket material.

Thank you Ancientdad! I'm going to order those but I need to get the bike quieter in the meantime, J-T do you mean just going to an AutoZone, getting a gasket sheet, and rolling some on the end of the pipes?

Moved to SOHC/Misc

Kind of a necro post, but I've always been disappointed with wrap. Every time I've worked on a vintage bike for other people who have done it they always seem to have oil from somewhere on them and they always end up smoking and I end up removing it. Every single time, without fail. Maybe there's a proper technique to adding them, but I never bothered and apparently my customers never did either. As soon as I would remove that fibreglass wrap tape off pipes all that smoking would stop after a couple of miles of hard riding.

Kind of a necro post, but I've always been disappointed with wrap. Every time I've worked on a vintage bike for other people who have done it they always seem to have oil from somewhere on them and they always end up smoking and I end up removing it. Every single time, without fail. Maybe there's a proper technique to adding them, but I never bothered and apparently my customers never did either. As soon as I would remove that fibreglass wrap tape off pipes all that smoking would stop after a couple of miles of hard riding.

Nasty stuff. I do save it for shielding things while welding.

Back
Top Bottom