• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Painting Pre Chamber ('Power Chamber')

Galt

Total Posts
Total likes
Hey everyone, I'm very slowly rebuilding my bike, and plan to post some of the individual projects on here for advice and comments.

I finally wrestled my exhaust off and want to refinish the pre chamber (big bubble looking box that receives both pipes and sends exhaust to the baffles).

It's rusted (see images below) but does seem to be structurally sound, so I'm planning to give it a good scrub with simple green and a green scotchbrite pad, then spray it with Rustoleum primer, then with high temp black matte paint (probably from Rustoleum as well). In the first picture, you can see it's slightly smoother just around that small depression in the centre where I already tested using the scotchbrite pad.

Would anyone do this differently? Any tips I should know?

Thanks,

Galt

Pre chamber outside June 18 2020.jpgPre chamber inside June 18 2020.jpg
Exhaust and pre chamber June 18 2020.jpg

Your plan seems solid to me. Only I would have used paint formulated for engines and can stand up to high temperatue

I've had good results using Dupli-color engine paint.

Thanks for that. Do you know if either of these would need a primer? Rustoleum BBQ doesn't mention anything, and the VHT brand seems like it would not need it as it claims to seal and inhibit rust...?

All the rust and contaminants need to be completely removed before painting if you want the paint to stay adhered. The best way to do that is with media blasting.

You can't use standard paint, and engine paint (typically good for 500F) may not be adequate either. I wouldn't prime it. After blasting and before painting, spray it down with denatured alcohol and make sure it's completely dry. You can't wipe a blasted surface with a rag or it will get covered in lint, so you just need to rinse liberally.

Rustoleum High Heat Ultra (rated to 1200F) is the best I've used. It's a semi-gloss finish, not completely flat like a BBQ black. Comes in silver and black.

If the surface isn't completely bare and clean the paint will fail quickly.

Back
Top Bottom