• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL350 Top Muffler Drain Clogged

Ribrickulous

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Not sure if this goes here or elsewhere in the 350 section.

As title says, the muffler drain is clogged. I feel like I’m living on borrowed time with these things anyway, but don’t want to accelerate the process.

When starting, especially in cold weather, I get some “puffs” when it starts, along with white vapor coming out of only that muffler when I crank the throttle and release once the engine is warmed up (it goes away with a few minutes of riding. Assuming this is water vapor pooling in the muffler.

Have tried leaving it to soak in gasoline overnight hoping it would free up whatever’s in there, but no luck so far. Blowing compressed air through it didn’t yield anything either. Tried sticking a wire up there but couldn’t get far.

Any other ideas?

Otherwise I’ll find a way to let it soak in gas for a longer time, then maybe try cutting off that downtube to see if I can get something to free up.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

Sounds like it's blocked with rust. I'd say with the muffler upside down to fill it with ATF or acetone or a 50/50 mix of the 2 and let it sit for a day or 2. Then high pressure air, 150 psi or more.
Yeah, white vapor would be water boiling away.

There’s a bend in the down tube. The clog is somewhere past that bend. Probably rust clogging that port like LDR mentions.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

Just thought about this a little more. If the condensation is collecting in the muffler, that bodes verrrry bad for street parking in below freezing temps.

Ruh Roh. Just moved this problem from I’ll get to it when I get to it, to pretty high up [emoji15]

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

I'm prepping a tank for paint and used a drill with a piece of weed whacker string to clear a rusted crossover tube. It worked real well around the bend...

iynC8eQ.jpg

Not sure if this goes here or elsewhere in the 350 section.

As title says, the muffler drain is clogged. I feel like I’m living on borrowed time with these things anyway, but don’t want to accelerate the process.

When starting, especially in cold weather, I get some “puffs” when it starts, along with white vapor coming out of only that muffler when I crank the throttle and release once the engine is warmed up (it goes away with a few minutes of riding. Assuming this is water vapor pooling in the muffler.

Have tried leaving it to soak in gasoline overnight hoping it would free up whatever’s in there, but no luck so far. Blowing compressed air through it didn’t yield anything either. Tried sticking a wire up there but couldn’t get far.

Any other ideas?

Otherwise I’ll find a way to let it soak in gas for a longer time, then maybe try cutting off that downtube to see if I can get something to free up.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350
Plug the muffler openings, set it up on end and fill the muffler with white vinegar. Give it a week or so to work.

Old cable chucked in a drill bit worked great. Can feel the puff coming out (weak, but it’s there). No more puffing from the exhaust on startup this morning.

Will try vinegar or some other kind of rust remover this weekend/week.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

Back
Top Bottom