• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Stripped Muffler Stud

Ribrickulous

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
In my zeal to torque down every nut and bolt on this bike, I didn’t notice that I had pretty brutally stripped off the stud from the top muffler on my CL350. The one that follows the red line in the attached photo.

About half of the threads are gone (those closest to the muffler) so I’ve been using a bunch of washers to get the nut onto the remaining threads at the end of this thing.

Is this stud replaceable? If so, just use some heat to loosen it up and crank it off?

704da9e05cb1ef2543ab66516fbfa9e0.jpg

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

I haven't seen the back of a CL350 muffler in decades but I do not think the stud screws in, I believe it was welded in at the factory (but I could be wrong). If that's the case, you'd need to get another one welded in place after that one is cut off. If adding the washers allowed you to get a nut tight on it, that might be the best solution for now (maybe with some Loctite on it)

If it is welded in, one option would be to cut it off flush and drill a hole in it, then tap threads for a new stud.

That "bolt" is welded to the backside of the bracket which is spot welded to the muffler. There's not enough room between the 2 pieces to sneak a 8mm bolt in if you blow the old one out.
The best repair will be to cut the bolt off flush with the bracket, drill and tap the remainder for an 8mm stud and install the stud using Red Loctite. The joing bracket has to be flush with the muffler bracket so welding a bolt on won't work well.

That "bolt" is welded to the backside of the bracket which is spot welded to the muffler. There's not enough room between the 2 pieces to sneak a 8mm bolt in if you blow the old one out.
The best repair will be to cut the bolt off flush with the bracket, drill and tap the remainder for an 8mm stud and install the stud using Red Loctite. The joing bracket has to be flush with the muffler bracket so welding a bolt on won't work well.

Thanks guys.

I’ll grab a stud and red loctite to have on hand when I can make the right repair.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

I wouldn't bother with the red loctite, the heat loosens it anyway, just tighten things up and be on your way.

Huh? Red loctite loosens up at ~500*F, no?

If my mufflers are that hot I feel like I’ve got bigger problems! They’re usually relatively cool to the touch where that stud is...

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

I guess my point was why bother? once everything is properly tightened up nothing's going to come loose anyway. I would probably put anti seize on it if anything, too many years working on trucks and heavy equipment, if there's a chance you might have to a job again in the future, it's nice to have to not have to deal with rusted/frozen fasteners.

The Loctite is for the stud into the welded muffler bracket, the other side is a flat washer, lock washer and nut. I'm trying to have him prevent the stud from unwinding whenever the bracket needs to be removed.

Just to wrap this up - I wound up grinding off the old stud, and drilling and tapping an M8 thread through the mounting bracket. Happily the head of the stud stayed on the back, so there was plenty to grip.

On one pass I wound up poking though the thin metal of the muffler when the drill grabbed away from me.

JB welded a small metal plate to cover hole, which doubled as a great backing plate for future drill strikes.

Red loctited a small stud I picked up from McMaster in there, and it’s been holding for a week of commuting.

Ed
1972 Honda CL350

Back
Top Bottom