• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL175 muffler suggestions?

Middletons

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
My recent CL175 acquisition has the muffler(s) chopped off to bare pipes (32mm ID). The CL175s i've had before have had the original exhaust intact, so I have no experience with rigging up mufflers for these. Anyone have suggestions? I have seen folks using shorty slip-ons on CL350's and 450's, but those pipes are bigger and farther (?) apart.

I know they carry CB mufflers when in stock (out of stock now), but I've not seen CL mufflers or the headers for the CB pipes. I'm looking to mod the setup listed in my original post rather than convert to CB pipes at this time.

I bought a stainless steel automotive 2 into section that fitted the sawn off pipes, got a suitable stainless bend welded to this to clear the rear shock, then fitted a silencer off a Triumph Speed Triple to this. Worked OK.

I've since reverted to the original can, welded up.

3TAvZEt.jpg

twe6OFX.jpg

I’ve seen people fit air cooled VW bug chrome baffled exhaust tips to CL headers, but short of welding them on, I’m not sure how you’d secure them. That said, I actually have the stock CL exhaust for my CL350, but opted to put CB pipes on it for ease of carb/air cleaner access and a couple extra horsepower.

How did that Speed Triple muffler sound? I've given that kind of solution a bit of thought. My muffler is all rattly inside.

I remember on another forum where two different members(at different times)removed their loud,rattly CL350 & CL450 muffler and did surgery on it:they ground both seams and looked inside at the stock baffling parts,then custom reproduced the internal parts/baffles out of SS and when finished,deftly tig welded both halves of the muffler cases back together again.
They said it worked a treat. I realize that won't help in your case Middletons,because your stock 2 into 1 factory CL175 muffler is gone.

How did that Speed Triple muffler sound? I've given that kind of solution a bit of thought. My muffler is all rattly inside.

I made several different experiments with exhausts on my CL175. This picture below shows the most successful version. The bike ran very well with this system and sounded very nice, a deep but actually quite quiet tone. Quieter in fact than the new OEM system that I recently fitted.

Downside of the 2-1 and Triump muffler was the weight and the dubious aesthetics ...

A0WZ3Ea.jpg

Back
Top Bottom