• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL 175 exhaust fitting question.

Richard Pitman

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I've just sourced a fairly decent exhaust system for my CL175, usual scrapes and corrosion on the underside of the exhaust bends, but a very solid silencer can.

Simple question - do I need to separate the two parts of the system to fit it, or will it go on in one piece, heat shields removed of course ? The gasket that joints the separate pipe to the can appears to be in good condition, and I'd rather not disturb it, as new ones are made of unobtanium.

In the past, I've removed the pipes separately for ease of removal and fitting.

k2muwFv.jpg

CqOmQ8D.jpg

Iiu2msJ.jpg

Though I haven't fitted a set of CL pipes in decades, I can say that I never separated them to do so in the past. I was always able to flex them just enough the get the header pipes into the head. I agree with you, since they look to be in good condition I'd probably leave them together.

I agree. I've got a CL350 and, while different, the pipes are much the same. I essentially got the bike in parts and had a heck of a time wrestling the pipes on the first time by myself but, once I *did* get them on and the brackets "adjusted" and in the right place, any time I've removed/installed them, I've done it as a single unit. I still wouldn't call it "easy" but it's much, much easier.

Doh ….

No amount of adjustment will make a sloper exhaust fit onto an upright engine. Ebay advert just said CL175, didn't occur to me that it might be off an even earlier bike, givenit condition.

Ah well, guess I'll put it back on Ebay with a better description this time.

I like to loosen the clamp bolt, at the slip joint on the muffler. That allows things to shift just a little bit if needed when tightening the exhaust clamps. You don't want risk breaking the flange off the end of the pipe by putting things in a bind.

Doh ….

No amount of adjustment will make a sloper exhaust fit onto an upright engine. Ebay advert just said CL175, didn't occur to me that it might be off an even earlier bike, givenit condition.

Ah well, guess I'll put it back on Ebay with a better description this time.

Are you sure it's a sloper exhaust? I'm not so sure looking at the photos, but I can't be positive.

But AD is correct -- if it is a sloper 175 exhaust in that shape it's worth some dosh.

Well, it's definitely not for an upright CL/CB engine, front pipe bends are all wrong, not obvious until compared directly with existing pipes. Rear and centre mounting points more or less line up with existing system.

The front heatshield from my K7 system fitted right on, all three screws lined up, but the rear heat shield didn't, two mounts instead of three.

No part number stamped any where to confirm its ID. I would hate to readvertise it and misrepresent it.

The heat shield was what was throwing me off... I don't remember there being a number stamped on the 175 sloper exhausts so that might be it.

I've put them in the loft for now. Maybe they'll be an appreciating investment ?

More likely, my heirs will one day wonder what the heck shall we do with all this junk …….

I know that feeling... I'm sure my daughter, if she even comes around after I'm gone, will have no interest in my garage full of bike-related stuff and wonder just what all of it is and why I kept it all.

They definitely pop up now and again in people's want list. I'd also spray them down with something so rust doesn't get at them.

Back
Top Bottom