• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CA160 tire sizes?

mannydantyla

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
The derelict CA160 I purchased a week ago has some very old tires on it. The front one says 3.25--16 on the sidewall. And the rear tire says 2.75/3.00--16.

So the front tire is bigger than the rear!

That can't be good, right? Does anybody know what the tire sizes are supposed to be? I ordered the Clymer manual yesterday but it will take a few days to ship to me and I'm too curious about this to wait until then. I tried a little googling but wasn't really finding what I was looking for.

Thanks!

3.00 x 16 /4 ply tires are specified on both ends of your bikes immediate predecessor, the 150 cc CA95.....
That manual is in the library, and the chassis section can be used as a verification source for general maintenance, etc....

The CM185 and 200's ran a 3.50 x 16 rear tire which might be a viable modern substitute and more readily available (and give you the "fatter" rear tire look).....
But WHAT is the rim width you have now?

Last edited:
Thank you Steve. If the rim size is other than stock, I wouldn't know, it certainly looks stock though. I'm still gathering information like this

edit: the outer diameter of each rim, measured with a caliper, is 70mm or 2.75". A LOT wider than both my CL200 sock rims! 1.6" front and 1.85" rear (though that measurement isn't from the outside, right?). Even larger than the aluminum ones I laced in that were a step up in size each.

Danny,
That 2.75" outer width rim is actually a (WM-2) 1.85" inner width and is acceptable for mounting at most a 3.50 or 3.60 size tire (90/90)....
Any wider and you should go to a (WM-3) 2.15" rim....

Back
Top Bottom