• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Looking for scrambler tires

Chippe

Total Posts
Total likes
I'm looking for on-off road tires. Any recommendations?

I'm thinking of using a Pirelli MT60 130/90 - 16 front tire as rear tire. However I'm not sure it works with tubes.

Really?
Yeah, I can see I posted it in DOHC.

It's no big deal, we just mention it so the other Mods will know one of us moved it to the right section. No worries, it's easy to put a thread in the wrong place now and then, and it gives us something to do :)

Haha, ok. I'm just a bit chocked, maybe tomorrow I'll put on my pants inside out \_(ツ)_/

Tubeless tires will work fine with tubes so no issue there
Doesn't look like Pirelli makes the MT60 in a small enough size. Stock size is 120/90/16 and for street tires you can just barely fit a 130/90/16.
Kenda K761's are an option for the rear but the narrowest front is a 110 which may not fit. If you went to a CB450SC front wheel, 19", the they do have a 100/90/19
https://powersports.kendatire.com/e...escooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/

Tubeless tires will work fine with tubes so no issue there
Doesn't look like Pirelli makes the MT60 in a small enough size. Stock size is 120/90/16 and for street tires you can just barely fit a 130/90/16.
Kenda K761's are an option for the rear but the narrowest front is a 110 which may not fit. If you went to a CB450SC front wheel, 19", the they do have a 100/90/19
https://powersports.kendatire.com/e...escooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/

It looks like 130 will barely fit and I might have to bend/modify the bar a little that goes to the rear brake but we'll see. It's fine since I don't mind a little wider tire.
Thanks for the tip I'll check out K761.

For the rear brake stay you pull it out of the U bracket on the swing arm and reattach it to the outside of the bracket with a spacer in where the stay used to sit. That should give you just enough clearance.

I was thinking about doing a scrambler build with my '83 and the kenda k761 were the closest I could find, previous owner put a 120 street tire up front and it skweeks by. So 110 would work on mine, so should, maybe work on a 79? I don't know.

I was thinking about doing a scrambler build with my '83 and the kenda k761 were the closest I could find, previous owner put a 120 street tire up front and it skweeks by. So 110 would work on mine, so should, maybe work on a 79? I don't know.
A 110 is a plus 2 oversize which isn't good. It's really too wide for the rim to be safe. A 100 would be a better one to use. Just because it fits or looks good doesn't mean it's right, there's lots of pictures of build with oversized tires that look really good but in reality they are unsafe on the road. Ever notice that you never ever see those bikes in actual use?

I still haven't bought tires but I'm ready to order it. It says the width is 2.50 on my 16" rear rim. Is that the only width that exists for the 16" stock rim?

The 1982 CB450SC has a wider Comstar wheel, uses a 130/90/16 tire. However there will be a chain alignment issue since the rear sprocket will be offset 4.1mm outboard. That model also used a 19" front wheel with a 90/90/19

@LongDistanceRider

I see but I believe 130 works fine as long as my 2.50 rear rim is not narrower than later produced CM400 bikes. Are they all 2.50?

I'm looking for on-off road tires. Any recommendations?

I'm thinking of using a Pirelli MT60 130/90 - 16 front tire as rear tire. However I'm not sure it works with tubes.

Dunlop K180 if it’s available in your size. I have them on my triumph scrambler efi and am pretty happy but it’s not seeing much off-road tbh. Just the occasional dirt roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think K180 has my size. 100/90-18 and 120 or 130/90-16 is what I need.

I am using a Golden Boy Trail Tire 4.10 x 18 on the rear. It has around 6,000 miles on it and it is worn out. It has been a good tire for dirt/gravel roads. I don’t take corners very fast but it rides pretty good on the pavement.
6a9ec30097f31f94202161cd481610df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom