• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Rebuild of a Honda CA 95

Removed the cam and lifters noticed the timing mark on the cylinder head for the cam sprocket was very lightly marked. The owner is talking about bead blast and paint and I was afraid it would wipe the mark out so I took a 3 corner file and marked the head.
The *** impact wrench came in and all the right side cover screws came out;:) I removed the cover, clutch, oil pump, kick start spring, spindle shaft and guide stopper. Will try and split the cases Thursday.

Bill H P1010143 (3).jpgP1010148.jpgP1010149.jpgP1010151.jpgP1010152.jpgP1010154.jpgP1010158.jpgP1010163.jpg

Nice gooey interior of that engine. It'll look a whole lot better when it goes back together, that much is for sure. I'd forgotten about the helical gears on the primary drive, Honda went to straight cut gears not long after that. Can't imagine what 3 letter word to describe an impact driver would result in asterisks... but I might not want to know. LOL

I have the same impact driver:good quality.
I have some wear on my #2 & #3 cross-head JIS Vessel bit,let me know who sells them as I need another one.

bilbikek411 Amazon. Vessel Impact Driver # 250001.. Sold by kt. japan. $68.41.

Bill H

Hi Bill H.,
Those are my exact name and last name(H)initial ! ;) I already own the Vessel impact driver kit.I just want to replace my #2 & #3 cross point bits only. thank you,Bill Habekost

Found time today and split the cases .Only thing I found today looks like the shift forks are wore some. Its the about the dirtiest motor I have seen. Be gone for awhile the only thing left is all the cleaning, blasting and painting which will be done in Tonys shop.
Will restart the thread when I start putting it back together.

Bill H P1010165.jpgP1010166.jpgP1010167.jpgP1010168.jpgP1010170.jpgP1010175.jpgP1010172.jpg

The owner picked up the cases and covers to day. Im going to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner and start on the internals .Maybe in a couple of weeks we can start putting it back together.

Bill H

The owner dropped off the cases today and I have some of the parts cleaned so as soon as the new seals get here I will start to reassemble. P1010198.jpgP1010200.jpgP1010201.jpgP1010202.jpg

The shift forks show some wear and one of the crank brgs is a little rough and I would change it. The owners goal is to show it and only ride about once a month for a few miles as he does the rest of his bikes. Only thing I can do is offer suggestions .

Bill h

I can clean the fork up its the bearing that concerns me. There is no way to make it better and even running in oil its going to vibrate . You are right its his decision but I hate to have my name on it.

Bill H

I can clean the fork up its the bearing that concerns me. There is no way to make it better and even running in oil its going to vibrate . You are right its his decision but I hate to have my name on it.

Bill H

Seems a shame that the owner would spend your time/$ on labor w/o making that right..

Bill H

I hear you Bill, and I'd feel the same way.

Same here... I would either fix it properly or return the engine parts to him as-is.......
IF you reassemble the engine knowing the crank likely will fail, you not only allow possible catastrophic damage to the bike, but a possible liability suit if he is injured/killed due to that failure........
Not worth the risk in my book.......

Same here... I would either fix it properly or return the engine parts to him as-is.......
IF you reassemble the engine knowing the crank likely will fail, you not only allow possible catastrophic damage to the bike, but a possible liability suit if he is injured/killed due to that failure........
Not worth the risk in my book.......

Unless you get him to sign a waiver

I talked to the owner today about 10 AM .He called me at noon and said he found the brgs. On hold for a couple of weeks but then should be good to go. He has the frame finished and painted it the Honda blue instead of black looks good. He also found new spokes and nipples, unpainted side covers, all new chrome trim and a complete set of nuts bolts and screws. I asked him about his source but didnt get an answer. I have the gasket set but the seals are not here yet. He bought one over rings and wants me file them to fit. A machine shop is doing the cylinder head and valves , the cylinder looks good and may clean up with a hone but we will check the bore. I am getting excited about the build again.

Bill H

I talked to the owner today about 10 AM .He called me at noon and said he found the brgs. On hold for a couple of weeks but then should be good to go. He has the frame finished and painted it the Honda blue instead of black looks good. He also found new spokes and nipples, unpainted side covers, all new chrome trim and a complete set of nuts bolts and screws. I asked him about his source but didnt get an answer. I have the gasket set but the seals are not here yet. He bought one over rings and wants me file them to fit. A machine shop is doing the cylinder head and valves , the cylinder looks good and may clean up with a hone but we will check the bore. I am getting excited about the build again.

Bill H

I'm glad the owner wants it to be right:new bearings (y)

I have the crank back and am good to go. Filed the bad shift forks as smooth as I can make them and tried them in the gears. They feel smooth and have less play than I than I thought they would have. Set the shift drum and kick start, then the trany. coated things with 4 stroke motorcycle oil and ran the kick start and gears thru by hand. Everything works fine. Set the crank and it as smooth as glass. Ready to set the cases.

Bill HP1010202.jpgP1010203.jpgP1010204.jpgP1010205.jpgP1010207.jpg

Bill, you might enjoy this old advert for Honda's "potent twins".

It says of the CA95 that the develops 16 1/2 BHP at 10500 rpm, not bad for a 150cc motorcycle launched in 1959 :)

It also mentions the 'famous' 3-main bearing crankshaft which is apparently "anti friction". I wonder what this means?

Potent Twins.jpg

Thanks and a tip of the hat Nick .A lot of early bikes ,cars and machinery had sleeve bearings. They were mostly a lead and nickel mixture, at least the ones I pored. you could pour your own bearings for older car engines. The first factory I worked in as a millwright had a lot of poured bearings. the forms were made of wood. Yes wood. We would bolt them together , pour the bearings then take them to the machine shop for sizing. Anti friction bearings are what you probably know as ball or roller bearings Some of the Hondas I have worked on had roller bearing crank shafts and some had sleeve bearings. The CA 95 I am working on has a roller bearing crank shaft these are heavy duty bearings and the strongest built brgs I have ever seen for their size. I ran the rods the correct way thru the case , gave the bearings a shot of oil and you can spin the crank with your fingers like spinning a top. Its not wonder it will turn 10,500 RPM.

Bill H

Found out what caused the odd wear on the shift forks. Whoever worked on this motor before left off the drum stopper. I didnt see it when I tore it down but putting it back together the stopper , spring and shoulder bolt are missing. At first I thought I had missed placed them but couldnt find them. Checked the photos of the tear down and they were not on the motor when I tore it down.

The hunt is on.

Bill H

These bikes have been around so long, only God knows how many sets of hands have been in them and at least one set that touched this bike had limited knowledge

Well I was wrong. The parts list and the shop manual both show the stopper drum but Honda discontinued it on later models of CA 95s . Nice of them to let us know. What was so confusing they have a guide stopper that venders were calling the drum stopper. The drum stopper is part number 24431-205-000 the guide stopper is part number 24441-205-00 . Using the parts list and the manual and not knowing they no longer used the drum stopper I was on the search for something that wasnt used anymore. Thanks for info from Nabs rebuild post I was able to understand what was going on. The guide stopper does the same thing as the drum stopper so I guess Honda decided we didnt need both. Will get back into the shop maybe this week end. Got conned into building an enclosed Litter Box bench for one of the grandkids then a fireplace mantel for her new home. God gave us work to do while we are here . I have so much to do I will live forever. (y)

Bill H

Well, don't go anywhere anytime soon because we need your 400A knowledge around here... :) hey, there's always something to be done, some of it is fun and some of it is mandatory. Honda did what they wanted to do during those times, which is why it was so beneficial to be employed at a dealership back then. I just wish they were more forthcoming about some of the mid-year changes and overall statistics, it would have made our current lives a little easier.

Cleaned up the pistons and filed the rings to the end ring clearance. The owner brought the cylinder back but I am still waiting on the cylinder head from the machine shop. Have most everything cleaned and will start the reassembly hopefully next week. Will post photos of the reassembly.

Bill H

The owner bought 1 size over rings and told me to file them down to fit. ???? I filed the end clearance to as close to .008 as I could taking the readings about 1/4 onto the bore. Reading the manual it states the bore is tapered and to take the readings 1 inch onto the bore. At one inch into the bore I had 0 end clearance . I filed the rings to .008 end clearance. at one inch into the bore. Wouldnt this give you .016 at the top of the stroke. I guess I should have checked it. What is the reason for a tapered cylinder bore? Also the 1 over size rings are going to be a bear to fit into the cylinder on standard pistons .I will probably need a ring compressor . More later.

Bill H

There's no reason for a tapered bore, must be a translation error in that manual. I would check the rings for proper gap in the tightest part of the bore, logically that would the unworn portion below the ring travel.

Ok I brought the head ,pistons and rings in to the main shop an got out the good tools. The rings end clearance at 1 inch from the bottom,3/8 and 1 inch from the top are within .001 of each other. Bore gauge shows .002 difference top to bottom .The bore stock is 44.00 - 44.01 I am showing 48.28 Max is 49.1. I am going to suggest going to 1 over bore. Will see.P1010209.jpgP1010210.jpg

Bill H

The owner dropped off the cylinder today bored to first over ,o25 with .001 piston clearance. Also the cylinder head. Will post photos tomorrow .

Question, he wants to paint the bike the same color as his blue CA 77. Can anyone tell me what color the paint is and is it still available from Honda or another source ?

Thanks ,

Bill H

Thanks Tom. I found a seller on e-bay that has the correct color of mixed automotive paint that he sells in spray cans. Have any of the members used the auto paint in spray cans and how did it turn out?

Found this on the net but havent checked it out yet.

vintage Honda paint codes.

Blue imron 63203uh crosses to 10419, 15958, 19126, and 19782.

Will let you know what I find out.

Bill H

Good question . I serviced the bike last year and it is a very nice all original CA 77. Not a 100 point bike but very nice.

Tom I Looked at the Marbles Motors web site and they list about 6 different shades of blue three of witch are candy colors. I will have to find witch of the other three is correct. Its $133.00 a pint and is mixed on order. Just for info they have the Cloud Silver motor paint.

Back
Top Bottom