• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Unstable > 65mph - CB200T [SOLVED]

NeverEverJamToday

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Don't know about other states, but here in California the freeways in many places have hydroplane prevention grooves. Trying to ride straight on these over ≈65 MPH sends the rear tire into a sudden furious wobble, even moreso if feet are on the rear rests. Weaving the lane mostly prevents the shakes, but is there a tire style available, or suspension modification that dampens/mitigates this? Issue is not present on pavings without the grooves.

I remember reading about this when they first started doing that in the road surfaces decades ago. I would imagine it feels similar to riding on a drawbridge, which can feel a little creepy too. Different tires might help, no experience there, but I don't think any suspension changes will make a difference.

You might want to try installing a steering damper. Also make sure the steering head bearings and the rear swingarm bushings are in good shape.

Very light moving/weaving (6"-1')back and forth,from left to right does help.I ride over those quite a bit and also found that slowly increasing speed helps too.

You might want to try installing a steering damper. Also make sure the steering head bearings and the rear swingarm bushings are in good shape.
The instability is definitely in the rear, so I don't think a damper is the solution. I did check the swing arm bushing first thing, and it's fine. I'm pretty sure it's the tire design, having a large continuous center groove. They are cheng shins front-c906 rear-c907 that appear to have been made in march+february 1997 so was going to look for new ones anyway. Would like to purchase well advised though.

Don't ride anywhere on those ancient tires! Not even around the block, get new tires before you ride anywhere please. It isn't worth dying.

The Avon 'Road Rider' are good tires which I think are in your tire size.I also like the tube type IRC NR21 18" tires,decent tread design and they last and are small $.

The current tires are the cheapest quality you can find when they're new and 23 years later I'd call them junk except for giving junk a bad name. Get some quality rubber on there and reassess.

Avons it is then. Those IRC nr-21's have a center groove that just seems like trouble here. Thanks

Don't ride anywhere on those ancient tires!

I'm waiting for my replacement rear lights to arrive anyway. It's going nowhere until tires and lights are replaced.
Maybe I'll get the orginial Yokohamas replaced on my other cb200 at the same time.

When tires are marked "Tubeless" that means they can be used that way or with tubes. Some tires are marked "Tube Type" which means they require tubes.
With the spoke wheels you have to use tubes regardless of the tire markings.
It's recommended that new tubes are installed with new tires every time and the rim strip rubber that covers the spoke nipples should be checked for any damaged and replaced as needed.

Discovered this yesterday when removing the tires. Like I said, 0 experience with tubes, or anything motorcycle tire related really. Appreciated. Battery is on a tender while waiting for tires to arrive at installer.

Looking forward to getting my new pair of AV83s scrubbed in and road tested. British monsoon season has returned though, no way am I going out on wet roads with new tyres.

...no way am I going out on wet roads with new tyres.

No way am I going out on wet roads. Tires are immaterial to me in that scenario... I rode many more miles in the rain when I was younger out of necessity, I'm done with all that. Besides, I hate washing bikes anymore, just too many appearance items to get clean after nasty road splash gets everywhere. :rolleyes:

Agreed, I don't like washing bikes either. When I got my Hornet out earlier this year, it was still covered in last years dead flies, couldn't get away without washing that one, yecch ...

As for the tyres, I managed a 12 mile ride on dry roads the other day, and they seem fine. No wobbles, they tip into the bends predictably, and at the end of the ride they'd heated up nicely and felt quite sticky.

When I got my Hornet out earlier this year, it was still covered in last years dead flies

I purchased someone else's 2004 Hornet project a decade ago. Trailered it into the garage on a Wednesday, closed the door.
Open door Saturday, with a near sheet of shimmers leading from bike, to ground, to pillars , to ceiling, finally to leading to the 100's of repelling baby widows.
Bic & aerosol is forever since on the "Things to bring" checklist for used bike shopping.

Back
Top Bottom