• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Vintage CB360T vs Modern CB300R – Motorcycle Evolution Test

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
Doesn't really qualify as a true Product Review but certainly close enough for our purposes, since we like our vintage bikes and many of us here know what the typical opinion of the expensive new hardware, complete with all its complexities and costs, would be. Apparently done by FortNine, this is entertaining and IMO mostly informative though with all things of this nature, fact-checking is important. Still, it was a fun stumble. I won't be a spoiler, I'll let you find out what the decision was.

Very entertaining. But I do know what folks will want to comment on. Don't want to spoil it, just watch the show.

Seen that earlier, Ryan puts out some quality videos. I believe the 360 is his own personal bike.

I stumbled on it and was surprised to see the 360 did fairly well against a modern 300, even if the 300 is a single. You just automatically expect the modern bike to be faster even if they're not quite as large displacement because of all the technology advancements. Brakes, yeah there's certainly been major improvements there including the easiest one, just a bigger diameter disc is an advantage. And you're right, the kid is certainly entertaining. I went to their YT channel and the very next one I watched... well, it kinda reminded me of a CMC video - some okay methods, some not okay.

I watch most of FortNine's videos and I enjoy them, this one was really fun.

It was, and I was pleasantly surprised at the final thought process. Still makes more sense to me than a ton of money for a modern version that doesn't even look nice to me in appearance anyway. And as for braking... if you don't ride the behind of the guy in front of you constantly like so many these days, you'll have that extra 30 feet or whatever to stop in time.

I stumbled on it and was surprised to see the 360 did fairly well against a modern 300, even if the 300 is a single. You just automatically expect the modern bike to be faster even if they're not quite as large displacement because of all the technology advancements. Brakes, yeah there's certainly been major improvements there including the easiest one, just a bigger diameter disc is an advantage. And you're right, the kid is certainly entertaining. I went to their YT channel and the very next one I watched... well, it kinda reminded me of a CMC video - some okay methods, some not okay.

I'm curious what video you watched? Just curious cause CMC seem more like how too and very few of FortNine videos are so they don't seem comparable to me. BTW I'm not really expert enough to analyze the quality/accuracy of the advice.

I'm curious what video you watched? Just curious cause CMC seem more like how too and very few of FortNine videos are so they don't seem comparable to me. BTW I'm not really expert enough to analyze the quality/accuracy of the advice.

This one. Nothing really egregious in it, but a couple things I'd certainly do differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Q0_yYeG3c

Nice video, and the 360 did better than I thought it would (an older 350 would have probably done better, lol). Who pushes a stock 360 to 12,000 rpm, though?

Nice video, and the 360 did better than I thought it would (an older 350 would have probably done better, lol). Who pushes a stock 360 to 12,000 rpm, though?

Absolutely agree with that and I forgot to comment on the statement heard during the video myself... ignore redline much? I mean, you can SAY it will rev to 12,000 but if it isn't productive revving, what's the point? And since the factory redline is significantly lower at 9,000, you're clearly going where Honda did not intend.

I thought it was hilarious ... i have a buddy who just bought the "modern" 300 and I sent it to him ... have the "grandpa" 360!

This one. Nothing really egregious in it, but a couple things I'd certainly do differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Q0_yYeG3c

I know this is old, but I've seen that video and wondering what you'd do differently? As a total novice I was gonna use it to test my bike. I do like FortNine and Ryan, they seem to do very thorough product tests.

As I mentioned, nothing really hideous or egregious. Use a proper plug socket, a compression gauge instead of the thumb method since thumb strength varies between people, pull the points cover and inspect/clean/check gaps so you don't wonder why it won't spark if it doesn't (the method of testing spark is up to you but personally I prefer to use a plug instead of a screwdriver, I do NOT like to get shocked), obviously get a new battery (or borrow one from another similar bike) as these engines are totally dependent on a good battery for strong spark, check the valve adjustments since they have a large involvement in compression readings (and it could have been parked because it was running poorly due to lack of maintenance which could well include a tight valve, and you don't want to burn a valve due to not checking them) and before you ever actually get it running, change the oil since it could have become fuel-contaminated if you found the bike with the petcock left on, and at the very least it has likely become acidic over the years if it sat a long time. It will require a bit more investment than what the video showed, but if you made a fairly decent choice of used bike you'll at least be keeping it or following through to get it running and sell it as opposed to parting it out to recover your money.

F9 used to bug me (a little contrived in the delivery), but I'm getting used to it, and he seems to be toning down a bit.

LOVED this vid. Just a ton of fun, and it's obvious from my ride - I'll be on a 70's bike no matter the outcome.

Also - planning to visit Vancouver in the summer, maybe I'll run into the man.

That would probably be an interesting conversation. I think he's found his niche, at least as long as F9 is around.

AncientDad, thanks for all the info! I'll be reading up on all of this, I've got a lot to learn. Will def read about valve adjustments.
Reading through other threads, compression is a big can o worms so I'm gonna hold off till I get it running. Are cheap compression gauges ok?
Bike was sitting for 30+ years, oil was changed 2 years ago, ridden in Oct 2020 and sat (possibly with petcock open) till March. Should I change oil again? It it ok to do it cold?

Birdland, I agree on F9, used to annoy me but now I like the silliness, he takes it seriously but has fun.
These bikes have unbeatable character. Hope you have a good ride up there, would love to explore those Canadian open roads!

Birdland, I agree on F9, used to annoy me but now I like the silliness, he takes it seriously but has fun.
These bikes have unbeatable character. Hope you have a good ride up there, would love to explore those Canadian open roads!

It's a consolation for our short riding season that there is so much open country - this is just a small slice of Alberta - a ton of two lane blacktop and another ton of maintained gravel.

Backroad camping/motel trips are a joy.

backroads.JPG

AncientDad, thanks for all the info! I'll be reading up on all of this, I've got a lot to learn. Will def read about valve adjustments.
Reading through other threads, compression is a big can o worms so I'm gonna hold off till I get it running. Are cheap compression gauges ok?
Bike was sitting for 30+ years, oil was changed 2 years ago, ridden in Oct 2020 and sat (possibly with petcock open) till March. Should I change oil again? It it ok to do it cold?

Oil is cheap insurance and it's only 2 quarts or so, change it regardless (and use Shell's Rotella 15w40). Always turn the fuel off when you turn off the key if not right before, make it a habit. Take the time to read the FSM about valve and cam chain adjustments, it's vital to our engines as they are totally mechanical, nothing is automatic. (and if you do not have the FSM by now, why are you waiting? it's free in our FSM library) AND, if you have ANY doubts or questions before you do any of it, do not hesitate to ask about it here. Well, not in this exact thread, but you know what I mean... :)

Last edited:
Oil is cheap insurance and it's only 2 quarts or so, change it regardless (and use Shell's Rotella 15w40). Always turn the fuel off when you turn off the key if not right before, make it a habit. Take the time to read the FSM about valve and cam chain adjustments, it's vital to our engines as they are totally mechanical, nothing is automatic. (and if you do not have the FSM by now, why are you waiting? it's free in our FSM library) AND, if you have ANY doubts or questions before you do any of it, do not hesitate to ask about it here. Well, not in this exact thread, but you know what I mean... :)

Thanks AD, I did download some manuals, got 3 versions of shop manuals for the 175 bikes haha, thanks so much! Lots of good reading.
My dad was the petcock culprit, I left it with him for a while. I'll change the oil cold, thanks for the rec.
I will definitely be asking for help, and I'll soon stop hijacking threads and start project log ;)

Birdland, sounds like some great camping trips up there, and I bet the gravel is fun with the right bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AD, I did download some manuals, got 3 versions of shop manuals for the 175 bikes haha, thanks so much! Lots of good reading.
My dad was the petcock culprit, I left it with him for a while. I'll change the oil cold, thanks for the rec.
I will definitely be asking for help, and I'll soon stop hijacking threads and start project log ;)

As long as you got the manuals from us you're fine. Many will say they have the manual but they're referring to a Haynes or Clymer but they're not the same and often are incorrect. No blame on the petcock, it's just something that sometimes happens so best to build a solid good habit now. As for hijacking threads... we all do it now and then, and in threads like this one it's no big deal, anytime I post stuff like this it's to add to the conversations here and help give the community something other than projects and questions to read. It mostly applies to someone else's build or project thread, or a specific question posed by someone in which there's an educational exchange going on. We're here to have fun as well as advise or learn so just use good judgment and "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" (y)

Back
Top Bottom