• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CM400 Luggage Options

joninvermont

Total Posts
Total likes
What are some relatively inexpensive rear luggage options for a CM400? I'm starting to think about doing some medium distance trips on my bike hopefully before winter, but right now I have no rear rack or saddlebags. Was looking at some inexpensive (read shipped from China) universal saddlebags on ebay for $30-$50, but wasn't sure how "universal" they truly are. I also saw an OEM Hondaline rear rack for $110, which seems expensive, but I'm sure they're hard to find. Is that an acceptable price for a part like that? What are you guys doing for rear luggage without breaking the bank?

While they don't hold as much as saddlebags, a good tank bag is an option as well. They come is larger models that expand upward to allow more stuff carried in it than the initial appearance might lead you to think, and the magnetic versions hold tight to the tank without the need for PITA straps but either way (and my bigger bag is the strapped-on type) they do allow for easy fueling with quick-release latches on the straps.

My fault, I should have mentioned that I have a tank bag on it's way in the mail which is why I'm specifically wondering about rear luggage options.

Ahh... so you're one step ahead. You'll like the convenience of the tank bag, but when you need more space, you just need more space...

I went for a fairly small tank bag, 5-7 liters, basically something to hold my phone, wallet, tire patch kit, and other small essentials. My dad has a large tank bag on his Kawasaki Vulcan (which also has a considerably larger tank), I threw it on to mine to try it out and it felt obstructive to me. So I went for something smaller on the tank and looking to do any real luggage on the rear.

I was able to use steel bar stock to attach the front top the shock and foot peg mounts. In the rear I ran another piece of bar stock side to side and secured to the rear fender.

Hi Jim.
Can you give us more details about the bags you have and how they are mounted? I like that the side bags are thin, keeping the profile of the bike small. Are they plastic?
I went wo the Fuerte Cases website but it was easy to get lost in there.
Thanks!
Mike M.

I used a Krauser rack from a BMW just like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS-...902902?hash=item595f0eec76:g:nDkAAOSwcuVfzmY~
I used the SE710 for the side cases and made U type brackets that bolt to the back of the cases so they can be lifted off.
I used the SE520 for the top box and it's bolted tight to the rack.
I added 2 small boxes, can't remember where from, that are bolted to the inside of the side cases to fit the opening in the rack. Those are for tools.
2014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom