• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Post a picture of your Vintage Honda Twin!

Mustard and Ketchup

Took these two for an afternoon spin on this beautiful fall afternoon!
b6b711529b4d1586a817bb5a635d873d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB200_Solitary_Islands_Australia.jpg

"On 15 May 1770, Lieut. James Cook sailed past the Solitary Islands and noted their position in his journal, “Between 2 and 4 we had some small rocky Islands between us and the land the southernmost lies in the Latitude of 30°10' and the northernmost in 29°58' and about 2 Leagues or more from the land.” He named them the "Solitary Isles" on his chart."

One of the Solitary Islands in the distance, just north of Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia.

"On 15 May 1770, Lieut. James Cook sailed past the Solitary Islands and noted their position in his journal, “Between 2 and 4 we had some small rocky Islands between us and the land the southernmost lies in the Latitude of 30°10' and the northernmost in 29°58' and about 2 Leagues or more from the land.” He named them the "Solitary Isles" on his chart."

One of the Solitary Islands in the distance, just north of Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia.

Very cool historical fact, and a cool bike for the foreground shot.

barely warm enough for a ride today..

Attachments

• 320747024_1301524007278219_9014660575971577419_n.jpg
    320747024_1301524007278219_9014660575971577419_n.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 320606746_597490342059215_5364381648039187935_n.jpg
    320606746_597490342059215_5364381648039187935_n.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 17
Here is my winter project. 1967 CB77. I don't plan to keep it "pure". My hope is for a good representation of a typical Super Hawk one would see on the streets in the '60's. I wouldn't have cut the front fender, but it is kinda' growing on me (plus the $378 plus shipping for a new one is certainly a consideration.) I prefer the flat seat and flat bars that didn't come on the '67. Charlie's Place electronic ignition will make it easier to keep it running at its best. Maybe do some more polishing on parts that Honda seemed to ignore. I had forgotten how much I like Super Hawks. It has been 14 years since I sold my last one.

IMG_1764.jpg

I don't remember if I've put this one up before so here it is again. Honda's "budget" 360.
This was largely intact when I got it but it was very tired.
So it got a complete teardown, except the engine, although I did replace the clutch.
I PC'd the frame and had to replace the rims and spokes, among many other parts.
In fact I had to buy a second one for parts.
I had the side cover stickers made up by a buddy of mine who owns a sign shop.

Attachments

• CJ360T_final_5.jpg
    CJ360T_final_5.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 31
  • CJ360T_final_1.jpg
    CJ360T_final_1.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 33
Hi
Here’s my CM400t that I purchased in November. It’s in great shape and seems to run quite well. A prior owner left a sheet of paper with all the updates and work he did resulting in a very clean bike based on pictures. The owner I just purchased it from, used if for a season and didn’t do any work on it. So I did an oil change, bought a new seat cover and installed it, put on a new front tire and the proper wheel. I am now approved for Collector plates. I’ve also taken the carburetor apart and rebuilt it (my first attempt ever working on a carburetor) - thanks LDR for your detailed instructions. I needed to order a few parts like an intake manifold that cracked and split when I removed the carburetor. Now I need to put it back together to see how it runs.
Here’s the bike.

61165AE2-FB87-49E3-8488-1514141D84A0.jpg

Hi
Here’s my CM400t that I purchased in November. It’s in great shape and seems to run quite well. A prior owner left a sheet of paper with all the updates and work he did resulting in a very clean bike based on pictures. The owner I just purchased it from, used if for a season and didn’t do any work on it. So I did an oil change, bought a new seat cover and installed it, put on a new front tire and the proper wheel. I am now approved for Collector plates. I’ve also taken the carburetor apart and rebuilt it (my first attempt ever working on a carburetor) - thanks LDR for your detailed instructions. I needed to order a few parts like an intake manifold that cracked and split when I removed the carburetor. Now I need to put it back together to see how it runs.
Here’s the bike.

Looks good Art. Next time you replace the battery, invest in an AGM and you can get rid of that dangly battery vent tube for good.

Just over a month and I have had my first ride around the block. Man, I didn't remember these things being that small! So far, it hasn't leaked a drop of anything.

ItLives1.jpg

I have 3 old classics, a 62 CB77 Superhawk, a 60 C77 Dream and a 64 CA77 Dream.

IMG_3562.jpg 60C77 LH side with trophies.jpg 4.5.21.10A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1983 CX650E Eurosport. A bike model unavailable to the US market back in the day.

Honda CX650E  1.jpg P1050045.jpg P1050050.jpg P1050039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Yet another cool version of a bike from Honda that they chose not to send to the US. That is a much more appealing version of the v-twin than anything we got, almost looks sporty like a 750F or 900F.

My 1983 CX650E Eurosport. A bike model unavailable to the US market back in the day.

That’s really nice! Honda (and Yamaha) didn’t have a lot of luck with sporty versions of their cruisers in the US, so they pretty much gave up on them in the 1980s. I bought a leftover 1982 Yamaha 650 Seca in 1983, which was a European model that came to the US just one year. It was priced at less than 2/3 of the list price, because they didn’t sell well.

4B04D87A-F823-4C3E-B3A9-B79D4C947168.jpg

That’s really nice! Honda (and Yamaha) didn’t have a lot of luck with sporty versions of their cruisers in the US, so they pretty much gave up on them in the 1980s. I bought a leftover 1982 Yamaha 650 Seca in 1983, which was a European model that came to the US just one year. It was priced at less than 2/3 of the list price, because they didn’t sell well.

And here all this time I thought you were strictly a Honda guy... :rolleyes:

Yes Honda US decided to pass on the CX650E and chose the CX650 Custom model instead for your market. We received both models up here and today the CX650C is rarely seen, so I suspect it was a poor seller. It was a chopper style model with slash cut mufflers and a low seat height, with the same engine as the CX650E.

I think the CX650E has aged well at least style wise, since many casual observers guess it is a newer sports model. ;)

And here all this time I thought you were strictly a Honda guy... :rolleyes:

LOL! Hondas are my favorite and I’ve owned more of them than any other brand for sure, but I’ve owned a few Yamahas along the way, and raced an MX360 in the open class many years ago. That thing had instant, brutal power the second it hit the power band. Anyway, last non-Honda photo…;)

AFB083AE-3F72-408A-AF35-EC890C48887F.jpg

LOL! Hondas are my favorite and I’ve owned more of them than any other brand for sure, but I’ve owned a few Yamahas along the way, and raced an MX360 in the open class many years ago. That thing had instant, brutal power the second it hit the power band. Anyway, last non-Honda photo…;)

Hey, you're a better man than I am if you rode one of those death machines in competition, I don't like riding them at all. Like turning on a light switch. Really fast though.

Great pic of your Yamaha MX. My favorites are the candy colored Honda 4 strokes of the early 70's, but I really, really like the early 70's era Yamaha enduro's as well - particularly the DT's of which your MX looks like - very classic lines. I wanna, wanna...

Hey, you're a better man than I am if you rode one of those death machines in competition, I don't like riding them at all. Like turning on a light switch. Really fast though.
It was a thrill to ride, for sure. I stayed beat-up all the time, and regained consciousness one time with an ambulance crew about to pick me up. I refused the ride to the hospital, but had to pull over a few times to throw up on the 80 mile drive home. Too much power and not enough suspension - I hung up my racing gear when the tracks began to feature double and triple jumps…lol

cool easter at the beach. 20 degrees warmer inland.

Attachments

• 20230409_110730.jpg
    20230409_110730.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 24
This morning I loaded the CB77 into the pickup, in preparation for a couple of upcoming cruise nights. I hope hauling the period correct motorcycle will add to the overall look of the old pickup.The pickup is a '63, so it is 2 years older than the bike. Nope, I didn't take the picture from a ladder. I used a drone.

Screenshot (199).jpg

Nice combo, it will get a lot of looks and conversations. I've wanted an old pickup to go along with my bikes for a while now, they're just another thing that is pricey around my area (mass amount of truck lovers here).

My “mystery Honda” at a show this past weekend, rode it about 80 miles over there and back.

098E5038-574C-43E0-BF21-511B0B6CE26F.jpg 892D9C0B-7B09-4ACE-ACD9-A87950C01C80.jpg

Man I gotta' tell you. That is the best looking SOHC Vintage Honda Twin I have ever seen. I would never have thought to do that, but it really came together great!!!!

Man I gotta' tell you. That is the best looking SOHC Vintage Honda Twin I have ever seen. I would never have thought to do that, but it really came together great!!!!

If you haven't seen all the iterations of it, you need to check out his thread about it over the years. I call it The Chameleon because it has changed so many times. It was even a chopper in his hippie days. You can do that when you win a brand new bike in a radio contest.

Here is the completed 1971 SL350 K1 with the 1972 CL350 from a couple years ago in the background. Thanks for all the help in getting them on the road...the forum is such an asset in providing technical assistance and encouragement.

eRmIJ45.jpg

Here is the completed 1971 SL350 K1 with the 1972 CL350 from a couple years ago in the background. Thanks for all the help in getting them on the road...the forum is such an asset in providing technical assistance and encouragement.

What a marvelous pair of bikes to own. You've done excellent work Dave, you should be proud. (y)

Ken's CM450e at Buzzard's Rock

My 1982 Honda CM450e covered in gravel dust at Buzzard's Rock, near Shippensburg, PA last week. The weather held up all the way out, going back it rained on us the entire way. At least it rinsed most of the dust off.

Recent changes are the new Hagon2820 shocks, Emgo handlebars, and the insta360 selfie stick. The shocks made the gravel roads of the Michaux much more tolerable. So did lightening the preload a bit on the Wirth front springs. Still getting the hang of editing the video, but I'm getting there.

gK4wPeo.jpg

Juneaudave, I am extremely partial to the Sl's, you have done a beautiful job on your bike and I am very impressed with your attention to detail during the build, congratulations!

Ken's recent trip to Buzzard's rock must of inspired me to suggest Charles and I go to Hanging Rock, a hangglider's and suicide buff spot some many hundreds of feet above the treetop canopy directly below. What is remarkable is, of course, the view of the entire Cumberland valley and also the total spray paint graffiti covering the rock, making it almost slippery. I should have looked for a wide angle function on my Apple SE phone for a vista shot.

agiEmCm.jpg

An open gate to a gravel road with an ominous sign at the rear of the parking area needed a closer look and the Pentagon Police didn't mind much so long as we were leaving. I know where it goes, but it's sort of an TEOTWAWKI by invitation only. I'm not a member there.

ym4v96s.jpg

d1b4b23f8569e6b058e052f368660099.jpg

Back road pause for a pic.

Took a short ride north to pickup a four pound Arctic Char for the BBQ - flown in by a local dude and sold from his orchard.

Bike is about to turn over 20k miles (in 30 miles or so). It was at 15.8 k when I bought it two and a half years ago. So - close to 4000 miles in that time.

Good God. Where does the time go…?

I was talking to Tom/Ballbearian on the phone last night and realized I've never posted pictures of my 79 CM400A. It's not a show piece, but its mostly all original minus my CDI, the coil, and the brake bleeder dust cap (-15 points!).

20230713_114406.jpg 20230713_114416.jpg 20230713_114421.jpg 20230713_114426.jpg
20230713_114431.jpg 20230713_114437.jpg

About ~35K on the odometer (sorry thought it was ~38K, had a dyslexic moment!). 23-24K of that is all me. Valve adjustment and cam chain adjustment done every year since I've owned... which is about 12-13 years now. Compression still quite decent at 155psi both sides. Only thing needed to be done with the carbs was new float valves and fuel cross-over o-rings a couple of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom