• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Front wheel alignment

Tony

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi All,

New here. Here is the background. I have a 1974 CL450 that I am building. Very close to completion. I pick up 2 aftermarket aluminum rims. The back wheel I kept the original drum and hub. The front I picked up a front hub and brake rotor off of a 74 CB450, the guy really didn't know the year. This is my problem. I purchased and installed front wheel bearings for a 74 CB450. They fit perfectly so I am relatively sure that the hub was from a CB450. The hub didn't come with an axle or spacers. I am using the axle from my original CL450. It is the axle for my forks, so the length is correct. I am not using the speedo gearbox. I am running an electronic speedo. I just removed the center from the gearbox and I am using it as a spacer on the riders right side where it was originally located. On the disc side I have a small spacer that goes threw the dust shield and sits against the bearing. The hex side of the nut is against the spacer toward the hub. Believe it or not, it fits the forks as it should, but it is about a 1/4" off center. The larger gap is on the disc side. I have flipped the axle and spacers in every direction. It will not center with the existing components.

I realize I do not have the correct spacers. My question is, are there correct spacers to make this work? Or should I just start looking into having some spacers machined. I really want to keep the front disc brake.

Any thoughts?

Tony

Does it line up with the caliper?, that's what you want to check first. Original rim, has the wheel been re-laced or the rim been replaced? It's possible someone re-laced the wheel and didn't pay attention to the offset when they trued it up. You could re-adjust the spokes to center it between the fork legs, or just put it together and ride it as is(probably never notice the difference).

The spacers from ANY of the larger 1974/76 disc braked bikes, (CB 450, CB500T, CB550/4, CB750/4) will work as they all used the same front wheel hub and fork width......

Thanks for the speedy reply. I never even checked if the caliper lined up. I was too focused on the wheel not centered. As for being re-laced? Yes, I re-laced them. And was proud of myself. They came out great, or so I thought. I guess now I need to pull the wheel and see if I trued it in an off-set. Can I re-lace it with the tire on? I certainly don't have the correct axle or spacers, because I have the ones for a drum brake. So, off to the web in search of some.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Wheel disc side.jpg
    Wheel disc side.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 16
Tony, I'm not a cafe fan but your bike looks nice. I'm curious though... why do so many seem to need a block of wood under the sidestand? Did you put longer shocks on the rear? I'm assuming from the look of it that the front end is still stock height.

Ancientdad,
Thanks. It looks a little different with the pipes on. I tried to keep it level from the side view, the rears are slightly longer. It stands fine on its own. The block of wood was there so I could look at it straight from the front. Trying to measure how much it was off center. I also moved the kickstand forward about 3" so my foot wouldn't hit it with the rear-sets placement.

I didn't pay attention to the mounting location of the sidestand before I mentioned it, so of course that could have had some affect. Though I did remove the stock rider pegs/mounts on mine, I cut the sidestand bracket off the left footpeg and had my welder friend weld it to the frame in the same original position so the powdercoater wouldn't charge me for another piece. My sidestand isn't shortened - I did lower my bike 1.5" - but I did cut about 2" off the tip of it including the little ball end and I rounded the remaining toe, just for looks but also since the bike is shorter and it sits just like stock with that done. That said, my welder friend added a small blob to the sidestand stop area on the bracket and I filed it down to the right height for the stand to keep it about an inch down from the stock horizontal position. My toes go in between the stand and the shifter, which is how I clear it while shifting (stand is down in the picture, obviously)

450closeup.jpg

I didn't realize you could click on your signature. You did a really nice job on your bike. It is very clean.

Thanks, I redid my almost 500 page build at that other forum in far less here, just the essentials, and the other link in my signature is the 450's best eighth mile run at Showtime drag strip in St.Pete/Clw. It was a lot of work and some pain along the way with a few damaged engine parts, but the end result is pretty much what I'd envisioned for it for a few decades until getting in the right position in life to do it. New place, nice detached garage, more tools than ever in my life and a little money to throw at the idea. The build thread is here

Ancient Dad. Very cool.. That was a great read. I enjoyed it. I am pulling my oil cover first thing tomorrow afternoon to make sure I put mine in right.

Back
Top Bottom