• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Rays 1966 K0 Blackbomber Police bikes

Fabulous, Ray... absolutely a gorgeous example of a CB450P. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Thanks, and for sorting the photos.
Not sure how many of this model police bikes there were in total but estimates of up to 50.
25 were shipped to the U S for appraisal by the police forces in 1966 but they did not like them and police parts were stripped off before disposing of the unwanted machines. At this point many of the police parts were lost or destroyed adding towards the shortage in later years for restorations.
There were some very early 360 degree engine bikes released for the home markets and some 180 degree engines but very few have survived.
The 450 was expected to carry on the success of the earlier 305 CP and CYP police models but that was not to be.
William (Bill) Silver was involved with earlier police bike restorations and I purchased a lot of spares from him.

It's interesting that the steeped-in-Harleys US Police departments didn't take to them, but I suppose the engine size may have contributed to their dislike for the 450 as well as the still somewhat negative feeling about Japanese-made products here in the US in the '60s. By the time I got to my job with the City of Tampa at the Police Garage in 1976, the opinion was changing and by 1980 the City bought their first non-Harley, a Kawasaki KZ1000 Police model

And what a great machine they were. Even Honda addicts would love one of them. If we could afford It!
So that was 1976. Don't forget the Honda 750|4 came out in 1969 which did not help the 450 sales. Theb750/4 was an instant hit both as a road bike and as a Police bike. I guess by 1976 it was ready to be replaced by the Kawasakis.

Actually, it was 1980 when they bought their first one as a test (I got to the job as a green 22 year old in 1976). Here it is next to all the FLH Police lookalikes (because almost nothing changed very quickly on Harleys back then). I guess Honda didn't make a good enough pitch locally for the CB750 Police model, I'd have been thrilled about that then being only a few years removed from the Honda shops

scan0073.jpg

And then when the Evo engine came out in 1984, the City chose to start switching back to Harley not long after. This was probably around 1986

scan0070.jpg

Hey Ray, I’ve started picking up parts to put together a CP450K0. Ive played with the idea before, and even sold and gave away some rare police parts I’ve come across thinking I would never actually pursue such a build. But I’ve finally decided to commit. I’m searching for parts, and you’ve mentioned you have some extras

Hi, good to hear from you again.
You know that you have set yourself an enormous challenge. One that requires a lot of patience and deep pockets. But, in my view a truly satisfying experience. Strangely enough the hunt for parts I found to be as exciting as looking at a completed bike.
I can of course help you where I can and this forum space is a great place to leave the footprint for others that are interested.
I do have some parts that I will be selling possibly later in the year but I also have a long list of great people that are searching for them also. I really wish I had enough for everyone!
Due to getting older quicker than I am happy with, a cancer diagnoses, and a new home in the sun I am thinking of selling one of my KO police bikes and I might also sell my K1, but not sure yet if the heart is ready to let them go!

Ray, I'm so sorry to hear of a cancer diagnosis. I certainly hope it's one that can be beaten.

Thanks. Looking at positives. Diagnosed early.
Dealt with quickly. Recovering from major surgery but not spread elsewhere. Starting chemo next week or so. Then it’s 5 years of being looked after by our wonderful NHS.

Glad there are so many positives Ray, good for you it was caught early. Looking forward to you being around here for a long while. :)

I’m sure you must have plenty of people knocking on your door looking for police parts! The news about your diagnosis was crushing when I first saw your message. I saw your follow up message and I’m glad to hear it was found early and the surgery has gone well. I hope the rest of the treatment follows the same path. And, I really hope things don’t come to you selling off your police bike.

I actually purchased something just for you a while back and it just arrived from Japan last month. Remember the Picture of the blue bomber that you shared with me (dated April 1965)? From your picture I was able to locate and purchase the full magazine that, that image was posted on. Then shortly after, I found and purchased a second copy with the idea of eventually passing it over to you to thank you for all the bomber information you’ve shared with me.

If you’d like to have it just message me a shipping address that you’d like for me to send it too and I’ll ship it out. The only downside is that it’s all in Japanese

Thanks T. I am planning on being around for a long time yet! I still have lots of support to give to our police bike restorers so we can see more of them completed and being shown and or on the road. There is something special about owning a k0 or K1 Honda Police bike.

Thanks for your kind words I. I will EMail my address to you.
I wonder what your plans are for the engine and frame as the parts are no real use without them.

Thanks T. I am planning on being around for a long time yet! I still have lots of support to give to our police bike restorers so we can see more of them completed and being shown and or on the road. There is something special about owning a k0 or K1 Honda Police bike.

I'm sure there is Ray, I only wish I could experience the feeling. Certainly happy for you and that fine machine of yours.

Thanks for your kind words I. I will EMail my address to you.
I wonder what your plans are for the engine and frame as the parts are no real use without them.

The engine and frame? For the police bike? I was planning on turning one of my regular bombers into a police bike by powder coating the frame Honda white and painting all the parts Accordingly to match. I’ve been doing some research and it looks like a factory K0 front fender can be modified to become a police model fender with some minor cutting, welding, chroming, and painting. I have the correct tail light and winkers. I can purchase left and right police controls easily. And I’ve found correct K0 bumper police lights. I’ve also located the clipboard box. I would still need a police brake pedal, left lever assembly, clipboard box stand, correct siren, and what I’m expecting to be the hardest items to find, correct set of police bumpers.

After doing some research it looks like there was an early police K0 and a later police K0 with different style head light assemblies. I’ve found a later model k0 headlight assembly and speedometer. But you are correct, all the police parts I’ve located so far are very very pricey! It’s going to hurt my wallet. It’s going to hurt really bad

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis Ray but hope things go well with your treatment. You certainly seem to have the right attitude facing it. You and your knowledge of the police 450s are of great value and much appreciated here on VHT. I wish you the best and please keep us informed of how things are going. Chris

Thanks Chris ,
I know all is going to turn out ok in the end and I look forward to being helpful with the police bikes as much as I can. Let’s see some projects finished! And discussed here.

Just a quick update and thanks for all the well wishers. Doctors report this week is cancer all taken with ops and now on final chemo which they consider successful. Now moving on to remission stage which means our wonderful NHS service will monitor me closely for the next 5 years with blood tests, camera scans and full body scans. What a remarkable service from lovely caring professionals and so much support. So now onwards and upwards!

Just a quick update and thanks for all the well wishers. Doctors report this week is cancer all taken with ops and now on final chemo which they consider successful. Now moving on to remission stage which means our wonderful NHS service will monitor me closely for the next 5 years with blood tests, camera scans and full body scans. What a remarkable service from lovely caring professionals and so much support. So now onwards and upwards!

So good to hear Ray, very happy for you and your family.

Moving forward, police bikes are progressing well at a good pace and hope to be posting more pictures and updates( with lots of help from Tom) which I hope will be of interest to you. I hope to add a section for the interest in CYP 305 machines which are even rarer than the 450s and hopefully we will get many comments and additions from past restorers.
I would love VHT to be the home of the Police bike interested and it turns out to be the number 1 place to go to first.

That's fantastic news!

Great news Ray! I look forward to more of your photos, information, and comments on these rare and significant bikes! This site is an excellent site to archive the CB450P since there has always been a distinct interest here in the DOHC 450. Thank you for all you have contributed thus far and I look forward to your future posts as well as other’s discussion of the Honda Police motorcycles.

Good to hear Ray. Look forward to much more enjoyment from your contributions.

That’s Great to hear Ray! This news makes me feel like a load has been lifted, so I can only imagine how you must feel. Congratulations!!

Once again, thank you for all your good wishes, they mean a lot to me. It’s amazing how they can lift your spirits.

I finally found my missing Police Special Equipment Operating Manual.

TE3eZey.jpg

XZ1G0xN.jpg

7HYzwLn.jpg

qARHUjg.jpg

im1tNTJ.jpg

N30sNvO.jpg

7j0Rv0d.jpg

ytnpGbp.jpg

M3kRKd9.jpg

QmwgjYD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back