• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Crusty and rusty seat pan

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
So every time I have moved and handled the seat off the CL77 there is a constant dropping of small rust particles, yet the underside looks decent and painted and the seat top is solid. So I decided to investigate and removed the seat cover and discovered the source. The whole seat pan that sits against the seat cushion foam is very rusted and almost through in a couple of spots.

Amazing what 12 coats of paint will hide.:)

So I bead blasted the pan this morning and filled a few thin areas with Tech Steel to reinforce the thin pan areas. The top coat of paint underneath was black in multiple layers, yet underneath that was a red coat of paint. I am not sure if this was the factory colour (red), or if the seat pan was black, as every other Honda I have restored has been in the past.

I do still have some of the red frame paint left that I could paint the bottom of the pan red, or back to black, as I found it. My thoughts are the red maybe too much with all the red there already on the frame etc. While you won't see a lot of the seat pan, it will be somewhat visible in areas.

Any thoughts on what colour is appropriate for the pan???

Here are the pictures of the pan before and after the seat cover removal.

P1080778.jpg P1080777.jpg P1080780.jpg P1080781.jpg P1080782.jpg P1080783.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to 250/305 Frame section.

I really can't recall, having had minimal involvement with the 305s back in the day but it seems like black would be correct. I'd imagine Mike in Idaho will know.

Black it is then! I have the seat pan in primer this afternoon and will paint it tomorrow, since we are getting an unusually warm spell until early next week. Should be 20 C tomorrow, so perfect for painting. I only have a black gloss automotive paint in stock and don't wish to purchase more paint, so gloss black it will be then. My little mini paint gun should make quick work of the pan.
I purchased some thin sheet fillers made of various materials for the foam repair from an upholstery shop. The original foam is pretty rough and someone has already reskinned the seat along with some different foam filler material in the past.

Painted with multiple coats of black yesterday and it needs to cure for a week now because it hit it pretty heavy. It looks great and will now make a decent base for the new seat foam repair and recover again.

P1080785.jpg

Back
Top Bottom