• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Thank you, Harbor Freight (ultrasonic cleaner shoutout)

Kentonius

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
My, gone are the days of endless scrubbing, many cans of carb or brake cleaner, and filthy hands.

For my carb re-do, I picked up the HF ultra sonic cleaner and a gallon of Simple Green Pro HD.

Each part received 2, 5-minute baths… Oh. My. Word.

I have a hard time documenting things at the start, but they were covered in 40 years of oil, dirt and grime. disgusting.

7B763930-EF12-4D89-B10E-51004C3CF404.jpegB3B16919-883F-4A58-831A-E57CD91BDB41.jpeg216AA808-34F7-4604-8335-854C1630E026.jpeg

Ah… sorry about that! There were pictures of my carbs!! No really, this little cleaner was amazing. I plan on using it on my chain a couple times a year, depending on how gunked up it gets on the dirt roads.

I bought the small one for cleaning my carbs. Not quite deep enough to submerge the carb, but flipping the carb over and running it again does the trick.
1CC71C19-016A-42F9-A708-1B2BE6F86392.jpeg

I agree. I’ve had this HF version for several years. It has worked great for what it is but is too small to completely submerge a carb body. At this point I am ready to upgrade to a larger size stainless unit much like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Preenex-30...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Someone told me to cut the bottom off an antifreeze jug (or something similar that will fit) and set it in the ultrasonic tub. Make it taller than the tub and use it as a liner. The larger parts will be fully submergeable, the parts will still get clean, and the unit stays clean. I’m going to try that next time and see if it works.

HF has the ultrasonic cleaner on sale now, for $69.99.

The tip to use the bottom of an antifreeze jug as a liner is good. I'd fill the space between the tub and the liner with water to transfer the vibrations.

My, gone are the days of endless scrubbing, many cans of carb or brake cleaner, and filthy hands.

For my carb re-do, I picked up the HF ultra sonic cleaner and a gallon of Simple Green Pro HD.

Each part received 2, 5-minute baths… Oh. My. Word.

I have a hard time documenting things at the start, but they were covered in 40 years of oil, dirt and grime. disgusting.

View attachment 10457View attachment 10458View attachment 10459

Thanks for sharing, those came out looking really nice. I've also been eyeing that same HF cleaner for awhile. After going back & forth considering that & other units online in the same price bracket, I think I might take advantage of the new price and scoop one up.

I've seen more than a few folks online complaining that their units randomly crap out, so consider dropping an update here 6mo+ down the line to see how it's holding up.

HF offers protection plans on everything too, spending an extra ~$12 for 2 years of potential replacement makes it easier. I've bought in on some in the past, needlessly as it turned out.

For $81 shipped I just ordered a 3.0L stainless unit with manual rotary controls and simple LEDs instead of a thin digital readout. Just seemed to me I would stand a better chance of fixing it if it craps out.

What are we using for a cleaning solution in these for our aluminum carb parts that won't etch or otherwise damage them? I have heard horror stories about using pine-sol, simple green or vinegar and doing damage. I am a fan of the yellow Totally Awesome degreaser/cleaner, but I don't know where it stands with regard to aluminum as a heated ultrasonic bath. Mixed with distilled water of course.

Home Depot sells the big purple Simple Green Pro HD… which after much googling, says it is safe on aluminum. I can confirm.

I've been using LPS Precision Clean for quite awhile now and like it. Amazon's price is stupid expensive.
People have been real happy using the Purple Simple Green.

I just grabbed the last jug of the purple simple green at HD. What ratio are we mixing at?

I mixed at a 1:3 ratio… but I didn't measure. I did it how the wife cooks in the kitchen… just eye-ball it!

SimpleGreen themselves recommend a 1:3 ratio for automotive related 'heavy cleaning'.

I don't own a unit (still shopping around), so I can't vouch for this method, but on a related note, I've heard a few folks claim success filling their cleaning units with only water, then putting their parts (or whatever is to be 'bathed') in a plastic bag with whatever cleaning liquid is being used; this way you're using less cleaning liquid overall, and cleanup after the job only involves the water in the bath itself.

Back
Top Bottom