• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

VIN Plate removal/reinstall for Paint or Powder Coat

LongDistanceRider

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
To get the nice clean professional look of painting or powder coating the frame the VIN plate really needs to be removed, especially for PC. For PC the metal has to be media blasted to remove all the old paint and any rust. Masking the plate with grinding tape will help but the plate is very thin aluminum and the clear coat on it is not great so there's a very good chance of ruining the plate when removing the tape.
The plate is held on by 2 "nail rivets" and glue.
There are 2 methods for removing the rivets.
One is to use a pry bar or heavy long screwdriver and reaching thru the upper and lower stem bearing openings you push the rivet out enough to grab with pliers and pull. I've never tried this method but it sounds reasonable.
The other method is to drill the head of the rivet out and then drive the remainder inside the head stock with a punch. This does give you the chance to ruin the plate if the drill bit slips.
I start out by covering the plate around the rivet heads with duct tape. Then I file the top of the rivet flat so I can use a center punch where I want to drill.
GEDC2571.JPG GEDC2574.JPG
Then you use a small drill bit (1/32") followed by 1/16" to drill out the head. 3/32" is too large and will hit the label tearing it (note the 2nd picture).
GEDC2577.JPG GEDC2582.JPG
Now use a heat gun to get the label hot so the glue will break down and using a razor blade start working the edges cutting the glue but not cutting the label. A little bit at a time is the key. You'll be reheating the label several times before you're successful.
GEDC2586.JPG GEDC2587.JPG
Once the label's off you can punch the remaining rivet in and clean the glue off the head stock and label. The label is difficult since you can't scrape it or use a chemical on it and it very thin aluminum. I heated it and used my fingernail.
Store the label somewhere where it can't get bent and finish the frame.
Reinstallation:
You'll need 18-8 Stainless Steel Drive Screws. Size 0, 1/4" length or 0 x 1/4. Hole size is 1/16" and Loctite Stick-n-Seal
RIMG0437.JPG
I masked the area with clear packing tape and then cut the outline of the label so any glue squeeze out would be on the tape for easier clean up. Fit the label to the head stock and get it bent to match the curvature before anything else! You don't want to sit there any hold it flush for a hour while the glue fully sets and you don't want the edges sticking up either.
Apply a thin coat of the glue to the label starting at the edges and working into the center. Now set the label in place and insert the rivets and drive them in. You can use a regular flat end punch which does flatter the top of the rivet slightly or get a ***elers stone setting punch to fit the head. The SS rivet head doesn't flatten like the original softer steel ones. Now press the label flat starting in the center and working out to the edges. Let it sit for an hour and remove the masking and clean up any overrun of glue.

Now if you want to add some "bling" you can paint the VIN stamp on the head stock also. I did the paint and wipe method first and wasn't happy with the results so I did several thin coats over the area and then color sanded with water and 2000 paper to get rid of the over painted areas. Light spray of clear and looks good IMO.
RIMG0578.JPG

Okay, so I've now done this once. Tips from a novice:

• Do not forget to tape over the plate if you have to drill out the old rivets. I dinged my plate with the drill bit, but not badly.
  • Do not flatten the plate after removal. It makes it harder to get it to conform to the curvature of the neck when replacing it. In fact, you might want to reform it to the curvature without adhesive first.
  • Do not forget to test fit the rivets after powder coating or whatever. I needed to enlarge one of the rivet holes slightly to get the new rivet started. Much better to do that before applying the plate with adhesive.

Overall, it was stressful the way I did it, so I hope I don't forget any of this if I need to do another one. The rivets I got were so tiny it was very hard for me to get them where they needed to be. The one small hole added substantially to that issue.

Okay, so I've now done this once. Tips from a novice:

• Do not forget to tape over the plate if you have to drill out the old rivets. I dinged my plate with the drill bit, but not badly.
  • Do not flatten the plate after removal. It makes it harder to get it to conform to the curvature of the neck when replacing it. In fact, you might want to reform it to the curvature without adhesive first.
  • Do not forget to test fit the rivets after powder coating or whatever. I needed to enlarge one of the rivet holes slightly to get the new rivet started. Much better to do that before applying the plate with adhesive.

Overall, it was stressful the way I did it, so I hope I don't forget any of this if I need to do another one. The rivets I got were so tiny it was very hard for me to get them where they needed to be. The one small hole added substantially to that issue.

Glad it worked out okay, I understand the feeling of nicking the plate as I did it myself. I also wish I'd warmed the plate on my 450 so the glue would have come loose more easily, but it was also my very first time. Lessons learned that you might never use again.

If the steering tree is out of the frame you can just knock the inside tips of the rivets and they come right out. They are really tiny and have a slight spiral fluted shank. I lost one of four on the two 350 frames I'm working on, but will only need two.

I just removed my VIN plate and will add a couple more tips that worked for me.
1. the VIN plate is fragile and it's easy to nick or bend out of shape, so take your time and work slowly.
2. As LDR states above, use a 1/16 drill to remove the head. I didn't drill very deep but finished up by using a small finishing nail to push the rivets through.
Rivets.jpg
3. Another member suggested sliding a thin wire under the plate and following the contour of the frame, I did this using a sawing action to break the glue.
4. To clean the glue off the back, I dipped a small piece of rag in acetone and held it against the glue. This was enough to soften the glue and I was able to rub it off with my finger.

Plate2.jpg Plate3.jpg
For anyone that is curious, this is the rivet that came out (minus the head)
Rivet2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on how particular you are for an original data plate. There is a Swiss company that makes VG accurate reproduction plates that they stamp with your original info. They supply the replacement little mounting pins with the twisted shank in the deal too.
It’s been a few years, yet I have replaced a few on some of my builds with these new plates and they looked great and accurate. I think I found the supplier on EBay originally and it was around $40 all in if I recall.

Been searching online for the drive screw pins and it seems the minimum purchase from most places is a box of 100. Does anyone have a source for a smaller quantity?

IIRC someone here bought a box some time ago and offered them to those who needed them. I'll see if I can find out who it was.

Here's the thread with a couple possible options.

Back
Top Bottom