• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Valve to Retaining Collet Distance

Ribrickulous

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Does anyone have a head with valves installed that can take a measurement for me?

Looking for the distance between the top of the valve stem, to the top of the retaining collets that hold the spring retainer to the valve.

Looking for someone either with a depth gauge or who’s real confident with their calipers.

Full disclosure - this is very much partially out of laziness. My engine is 90% build up and the cam is orange loc-tited to the sprocket already. Really hoping to not have to pull it off to take this.

Can sketch up what I’m looking for if it’s helpful.

-Ed
1972 CL350

For reference, I’m looking for the dimension in red
2be8409b6eefe50a3956e07d05f8d3b9.jpg

-Ed
1972 CL350

If my parts coming home from Sturgis get here I'll be able to make that measurement for you, just waiting for them to appear one day. Given the speed of which the cam guy was working I might see them by summer.

Lol ok.

I also just realized that I don’t necessarily need them installed. I can work with the extra valves from my last engine and just take the distance from the top of the valve stem to the underside of the channel in the valve.

I know one was ground out and is ruined, but I’m hoping the other one at least has a good surface to work with. Will know on Friday.

To get it right this might be a good job for the mill to keep everything in the correct axis.

-Ed
1972 CL350

And of course I remembered I’m a pack rat, so I still have this garbage valve in my apartment thinking I’ll use it for something crafty eventually.

Looks like about .130” even after being ground off.

That makes me very confident that the .063” lash cap will fit, but I’ll check the good one to be sure:

48e309cab90425a11ae438475ef98d8f.jpg

-Ed
1972 CL350

I measured 2 intake and 2 exhaust
Straight portion before it starts to curve
Got 0.172" +/- 0.004" for all of them

The tips were shiny silver and also appeared flat

You want to measure the distance with the spring retainer and collets in place, then reduce that number .020"-.040" so there's a bit of clearance between the cap and collets. If they're in contact there's the chance they could pop one or both collets loose, although unlikely.

I have at least 1 head I can measure.
OP, if you want any ref photos of valves or head them pm me your email address

Damn, that’s a huge shift. I can throw you my email, but can you post some here for everyone’s viewing pleasure?

-Ed
1972 CL350

It would seem the stem height past the retainer and collet would ensure the cam consistently makes contact with the stem, which is recessed in a concave retainer, and not the retainer.

Well, we can file this under “might’ve just been simpler to take it apart”

6ddf9a154e0db54b8bfa8bb9cfcdc87b.jpg

c2d9259d8ad6e242e972187b577cddf3.jpg

Wood blocks as shims and a mallet got me within about .003” coplanar of the ways, measured across the valve tip. Test indicator picked up ~.040” between the valve tip at the lowest it could measure, which is actually being interfered with by the spring retainer:

25d265ee9b0bdadb795f77609c199983.jpg

So there could be a few more thou there.

I’m going to try and find something with .030” of skirt depth for the lash cap, and run from there.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Measured another way - just zerod the indicator in the “gap” gets me .037” to the edge of the valve tip, and when zero’d, I can juuuuuuust slip a .0025” feeler in there without disturbing it.

.003” tips the indicator.

Minimum .039” of clearance, could be slightly more.

-Ed
1972 CL350

Where did your valves come from?
The shape of the tip is different than mine... the taper seems different and tip smaller dia

Back
Top Bottom