• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Timing chain advice

Total Posts
Total likes
Hello--

I recently acquired this '74(?) CL450 from an old boss of mine. Story behind it, he used to ride it, melted a piston out of it, tore the engine down, bored it, rebuilt it, powder coated everything, then he got in a wreck on a different bike and didnt want to mess with this one anymore. I was told that all that was really left was reconnecting electrical connections, checking all the bolts, and go. However, while trying to start it, I learned a few things: 1. the starter is very weak and can barely turn the motor over, and 2. its backfiring out the right carb, and i can see it wheezing air out of the carb when trying to see if itll pop on starting fluid.

I pulled the timing covers, and discovered that one cam is "close", and the other seems like its off by 1 tooth.

I have also found several fasteners to either be too long, too short, stripped, its leaking oil out of the stator cover, and almost every gasket is either slathered in orange rtv or anaerobic sealant :mad:. I respected this guy and thought he was mechanically inclined as we worked together rebuilding industrial gear boxes, and he had a built honda goldwing....but back to the chain issue.

Im going to say this first: i know nothing about how to work on this motor. I have i think a clymers or honda manual for it, and thats it. I've done chain replacements on cx500's, and have had a gl1000 motor apart--i can work on an engine, but i need the info on how to approach it.

After doing research, I think he installed an EK timing chain, which can work but its optimal to have a DID chain.

Questions:

Is there a good guide I can follow with pics that arent in BW and super blurry on how to replace the timing chain? I am going to pull the motor as I dont want the hassle of doing it in frame.
Will I need a chain breaker to remove or install the new chain? if so, which one?
I'll have to check with a scope, but supposedly its been bored over to like 470cc, and has pod filters. What jets should I run in the stock keihin carbs so I dont melt another piston?

IMG20240610223911.jpgIMG20240610224005.jpgIMG20240610223710.jpgIMG20240609182242.jpg

You'd be wise to find a set of stock air filters before you run the engine once repairs are done, pod filters don't work well with CV carbs. You're also wise to pull the engine since you found RTV everywhere. The work that you've already seen tells me there could easily be other issues from the previous rebuild. You'll get all the help you need here for rebuilding the top end the right way, so pull the engine, get it disassembled and take plenty of pictures so we can see what you see. The cam chain can be carefully cut with a die grinder but a chain breaker is better, though many of the aftermarket chain breakers are poor quality. I wasted $60+ on the Stockton version, wouldn't but it again. I use a hammer, punch and dolly (with a third hand holding the dolly) to stake the master links in my 450 engines. And yes, you want to use the DID 219T chain, you can get it from this guy.

and I buy extra 'rivet' style master links from 4into1

cool. ill get a did chain and these filters. what does the filter box look like? I dont think i have it with the parts i got

1718125224464.png

cool. ill get a did chain and these filters. what does the filter box look like? I dont think i have it with the parts i got
You might take a minute and look at the Welcome Package of helpful links I posted in my reply to 'your' introduction, it has a lot of good information.

View attachment 33774
Those are the filters, tube side to the carb, and that oval opening connects each side through that tube below the battery box - although it appears yours are missing the rubber ring that seals that point up. CMSNL K7 PARTS Check that link, it's on page F-13, item number 2.

Before you order more parts, I'd do a full overview and inspection on what's missing - otherwise you'll get bled to death by shipping. Nothing worse than a $2 bolt holding up progress and then paying 5.95 in shipping on top of that.

Oh - and whatever you do - avoid the gasket kits from CMC and the super cheap ones from 4into1. Get the Vesrah set.

Those are the filters, tube side to the carb, and that oval opening connects each side through that tube below the battery box - although it appears yours are missing the rubber ring that seals that point up. CMSNL K7 PARTS Check that link, it's on page F-13, item number 2.

Before you order more parts, I'd do a full overview and inspection on what's missing - otherwise you'll get bled to death by shipping. Nothing worse than a $2 bolt holding up progress and then paying 5.95 in shipping on top of that.

Oh - and whatever you do - avoid the gasket kits from CMC and the super cheap ones from 4into1. Get the Vesrah set.
oooh makes sense. i thought that tube was for a toolkit or something. i have the long threaded rods for the filters. ill see if i have the tubes in the box of parts i got, if not, ill order a set

Here is a pic of the air filter parts. The battery box has the air crossover tube attached to the bottom. The oval gaskets shown go on the back of the filters to seal the connection with the tube. Also you will notice the black plastic filter covers, they go over your filters and the long bolts secure them both to the battery box. Then the small chrome screw goes in the end of the long bolt to hold the covers on.

IMG_0498.jpeg

Last edited:
oooh makes sense. i thought that tube was for a toolkit or something. i have the long threaded rods for the filters. ill see if i have the tubes in the box of parts i got, if not, ill order a set
Toolkit is a separate box that bolts just below that - funky rounded triangle shaped thing with a little flap.

The purpose of that tube is to smooth the air turbulence those tiny pods can create at both high and low vacuum. These CV carbs are touchy when it comes to air mixture.

You’ve definitely got your hands full with the electrical there. Looks like a lot of stuff with missing connectors, etc. Check out Vintage Connections - they’ve got all the proper stuff to match up with OEM blocks and pins.

While you’re at it with the electrical, find a secondary ground location. Every bit helps on these systems.

Toolkit is a separate box that bolts just below that - funky rounded triangle shaped thing with a little flap.

The purpose of that tube is to smooth the air turbulence those tiny pods can create at both high and low vacuum. These CV carbs are touchy when it comes to air mixture.

You’ve definitely got your hands full with the electrical there. Looks like a lot of stuff with missing connectors, etc. Check out Vintage Connections - they’ve got all the proper stuff to match up with OEM blocks and pins.

While you’re at it with the electrical, find a secondary ground location. Every bit helps on these systems.
gotcha. i just found both rubber boots in the parts box. thank goodness.

all the electrics are there surprisingly, and work. the main harness was replaced, and matching up the bike wiring to the new harness was...fun. i had to replace only one connector for the coils as both the kill switch and the coil wire were both male. i opted to replace the connector on the bike side as to not cut up the new harness.

gasket kit, brand preference? Vesrah, athena, etc...?

im farming out the chain replacement to my brother. my plate is very full with other projects (goldwing broke a timing belt, car issues, etc) and hes done chain replacements before on other motorcycles. I'll be sending him the fsm pdf.

Also, i think mine is a '71. When I roll it back out ill get a pic of the vin tag, but i believe the date code is 04/71.

Back
Top Bottom