• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Time-sert size?

club_c

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I’m going to have to repair a spark plug hole on the head of a 360. What’s the sizing? I can’t seem to find an answer I’m confident in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir. Would there be an alternative to a very expensive time sert kit for a single application? There is a kit made by OEM that looks interesting and a fraction of the price. This head currently has an unraveling helicoil in the spark plug hole... ( not me, PO)

Since you will be removing the head for the repair anyway, it MAY be less expensive to simply take it to a local machine shop.....

Thank you sir. Would there be an alternative to a very expensive time sert kit for a single application? There is a kit made by OEM that looks interesting and a fraction of the price. This head currently has an unraveling helicoil in the spark plug hole... ( not me, PO)

Call around to machine shops, they buy the kits and then use one as needed. Probably cheaper than buying a kit for a one time(hopefully) repair.

I want to install a set of 4) 8mm Time-sert inserts into a place on a Honda crankcase:I want to be sure to properly seat & lock the inserts when I'm done so that they won't 'back out' on me at later time.The biggest worry I have now is searching through my storage for The correct box where the kit is.I did happen to see it about 6 months ago..

Since you will be removing the head for the repair anyway, it MAY be less expensive to simply take it to a local machine shop.....

This! My local shop does them for $20 a side. The last time I priced a Timeserts kit it was almost $200 with the tools. If I were to be doing them often I would definitely invest in the kit but at their cost, it’s definitely better for them to do it.

I will check with my local shop. I wonder if there’s a hitch because it was already helicoiled?

Having repaired many plug threads, I definitely have an opinion on this.

using a timesert is generally an excellent thread repair with some limits. In this location, there is very little “wrap stock” around the thread and next to the valve seat. I will strongly recommend a helicoil insert as it is less invasive into the combustion chamber. The timesert will nick the seat(s), furthermore offers pull out strength not needed over the helicoil repair. The helicoil repair does indeed increase pullout strength stronger than the parent metal and is a better corrosion coupling between the plug and head.

To answer the OP question, the thread is specified as M14 x 1.25. Your length may vary but is 19mm / .750” long.

Last edited:
Thanks Jays. The current issue is an unspooling helicoil in the spark plug hole. You’re of the view to replace it with another helicoil?

Thanks Jays. The current issue is an unspooling helicoil in the spark plug hole. You’re of the view to replace it with another helicoil?

I would vote for using an insert there rather than(standard Helicoil is too frail in that location..) a standard Helicoil,IMO.The length of the insert can be carefully adjusted/checked so that it will Not intrude too far into the combustion chamber to make contact with a valve.
Time-sert has different length inserts so that you can choose & install the correct length ;)

Yes, replace with another helicoil. Chase the thread with a helicoil tap first to ensure a clean thread base. Use anti-seize on the spark plugs going forward.

In my day job as an aero engineer, we use helicoils in all of our aerospace structural applications and only use timeserts or nutserts for the most extreme of extreme conditions - ref jet engines. Quite frankly, a spark plug repair doesn’t qualify as extreme. Difficult yes, extreme, no.

But, this is yours and you know your equipment condition best. Both methods will do what you want and that is, repair the thread. Both are available in different lengths.

I should say, the motor will be out of frame and I’ll be pulling the head to inspect the cylinders and probably ring it, so will have the head “in hand”.

Just throwing this out here. I had mangled sparkplug threads on the left side of a replacement 350 head and used one of these HeliCoil Sav-A-Thread sparkplug inserts. It's HeliCoil brand but the inserts aren't coils (unless it's not obvious, even under magnification).
65122917af70b8781c09a9748a3b37f5.jpg

df98a1a46c18cc77d6da1c025cb2fc98.jpg

Size was M14x1.25 and the insert used was the longest in the kit (R5326-14L I think).

EDIT: I realize now you've already got a failing HeliCoil in there so, obviously, one of these probably isn't a solution.

I used one of those Helicoil sparkplug insert on a CB360,it worked well only be sure to 'seat'/lock the insert down very securely when finished:it tried to back-out a few times along with the sparkplug..

I used one of those Helicoil sparkplug insert on a CB360,it worked well only be sure to 'seat'/lock the insert down very securely when finished:it tried to back-out a few times along with the sparkplug..
Yep, you've definitely got to use the included drift/expander to set those "teeth" into the head.

Briandel I like that possible solution. I’ll have to determine if it will still work with the bad helicoil. I’ll be able to unwind the bad one simply enough, just need to determine if the remaining hole will accept this sav-a-thread.

The Helicoil brand insert kit comes with a special tap to thread-in for your new insert.

I still prefer Time-sert inserts.

So if I’m to consider the Helicoil sav-a-thread, the question I have is tap size. What is the tap size used to install a standard helicoil in the head? What is the tap size for the sav-a-thread product? Does anyone have either one in a tool drawer?

I'd like to buy a Time-Sert kit online,8-1.25 with 18mm inserts.Who's got the best deal online for the Time-Sert brand kit ??

Back
Top Bottom