• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Tank Badges - SL350 K2

Clutch Cargo

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Can someone shed some light on removing the "Honda" tank badges from the later K2 (72 & 73) models? I am accustom to the badges with screws. These appear to press into a keeper of some sort. Presume that there are some tricks to getting them off without prying and scratching paint?

If I recall correctly and, assuming yours are attached like a later CL, I worked a bit of string underneath the edges/sides of the badge and pulled it towards the middle until it was right next to one of the pins (too far away from the pin, you're going to bend the badge), and slowly pulled up a bit to get some clearance. Do the same on the other side of the badge, next to the other pin. Then I think I just kind of lightly rocked/wiggled them while pulling away from the tank until they popped off.

The pins of the badge fit into a little sleeve/clip that, in turn, fits into holes on the side of the tank. Just friction fit. The clips are still easy to find.

Yep, if it isn't held with screws, it's held with little barrel clips and the badge has little posts on the back that slip into them. The string idea sounds like a good one to avoid scratching the tank

Might be helpful to add that, when reinstalling the badges, the barrel clips go into the holes in the tank first, then the badges press into them.

Excellent idea! Thanks. I have some of the tools for removing automotive interior panels, but they are all metal. So, no dice on paint. The string should do the trick.

Might be helpful to add that, when reinstalling the badges, the barrel clips go into the holes in the tank first, then the badges press into them.

Great point to make as well. It's a holdover from the same style molding attachment methods that cars used in the '50s and '60s so I became familiar with them early on as my Dad dealt with all of that doing body work. They can be a PITA but if everything is clean and in good condition they work well.

I've got a few auto panel-poppers as well and thought about trying them but, paint damage aside, I was afraid to pop a nice little dent in the side of the tank levering the badges out.

Cautious use of a thin putty knife, pretty sure that's what my Dad used to do (of course, most of the time he was repainting the tanks he was stripping down anyway)

The thin putty knife has always worked for me. If there is room, wrap it with a t-shirt to prevent paint damage.
NOTE: Do not, under any circumstances, use the VHT t-shirt.

Dental floss works well, also. It’s easy on paint. If it’s not heavy enough, use a few pieces wound/braided together.

Tom - 1982 CM450E
(“Noob”, but learning fast!)

Another good idea. Stuff like this is why we all band together for answers and suggestions, someone always thinks of something another might not. (y)

Back
Top Bottom