• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Tachometer shaft seal…

Mikepacific60

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Hi all,
I have a spare ‘bitza’ SL350K1 engine which I am using for parts….the engine has plenty of corrosion.
Thankfully the two end caps that support the cam are in okay condition, apart from the ugly (external) corrosion.
I decided to pull out the tachometer drive shaft to replace the seal….the journal was pretty rough…I pulled on the shaft as strongly as I could to no avail.
I then used heat…still no go.
Next I drilled into the seal and screwed in the tip of a self tapping screw - put the screw in the vice and pulled on the housing…..hooray- out flew the shaft onto the garage floor!
As far as I can tell, there was no washer on either end of the drive shaft (that part of the garage floor is pretty clean).
I can order the bottom washer ‘Washer Pinion’ from CMSNL, but the other one ‘Washer Thrust’ isn’t available.
Any suggestions what I can substitute….maybe just a plain washer (machined to fit the shaft / journal)?
Cheers
Mike

I'd search for the part numbers first before I used something other than what Honda put there. Check this link at David Silver Spares if you haven't yet

350 tach drive washers.png

BTW, the shaft is basically held in by the seal and you remove it just by pulling on the flat end of the shaft, but years of corrosion was your enemy

Back
Top Bottom