• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Swingarm Bushes

Dukem

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi, hope someone can help:

Have a 1974 CB250 G5 and have stripped it all down and now powder coating the parts, I have got to the swingarm but not sure how to tackle the swingarm bushes (the actual swingarm bushes and rear suspension), I.e. do I need to remove before powder coating heat up or can I safely mask and pop in the oven? Assume best to remove? Any tips on how to remove?

Thanks v much

The parts will need to be sandblasted before powder, be sure to remove all sand and grease where the bushings are. Get in there with contact cleaner and wipe with paper towels, etc.

The 74 CB250 is same as the cb360 in frame contruction. The swingarm bushings are some sort of engineering plastic. When you have the swingarm off, if the bushings are black, then they are the plastic OEM type. The heat for powder coating will likely melt them. Either remove the bushings or be prepared to replace them. I replaced my CB360 swingarm bushings with bronze ones. If your's are bronze then they were replaced. The bronze ones will be ok with the heat, but will need to be covered. You don't want to have to clean them.

The 74 CB250 is same as the cb360 in frame contruction. The swingarm bushings are some sort of engineering plastic. When you have the swingarm off, if the bushings are black, then they are the plastic OEM type. The heat for powder coating will likely melt them. Either remove the bushings or be prepared to replace them. I replaced my CB360 swingarm bushings with bronze ones. If your's are bronze then they were replaced. The bronze ones will be ok with the heat, but will need to be covered. You don't want to have to clean them.
If it is a bike you intend to keep and ride regularly and they are the original plastic ones then spring for the replacement aftermarket bronze ones. Since plastic is well plastic and they were sketchy at best when new. ;)

Ask you powder coater about them sealing up all the other bolt holes in your frame with rubber plugs too. If the bolt holes are not plugged, you will have a chore in cleaning the frame threads or plain holes in your frame afterwards, since the powder penetrates there too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. My apologies for not having responded sooner but have been unwell.
So, thank you for taking the time

Based in UK, have looked around for bronze bushes but can only find plastic non-oem bushes, anyone who knows of a supplier in UK/Europe?

Thanks 👍

Thanks for the replies. My apologies for not having responded sooner but have been unwell.
So, thank you for taking the time

Based in UK, have looked around for bronze bushes but can only find plastic non-oem bushes, anyone who knows of a supplier in UK/Europe?

Thanks 👍
There's an ebay seller in Germany named twowheelsfrank. He has good quality bronze bushings. I've used them on several of my bikes.

I didn't think about this when, new to the hobby, I had my CL175 frame and other bits powder coated. Bushes melted. I replaced them with bronze bushes from an online bearing shop. In my case, this wasn't straight forward. Although correct internal dimension, spacers a nice sliding fit, once pressed into place the spacers would not go in until I reamed the bushes to size. Also, the collars on the bushes were too thick. Easily fixed on a lathe, but I don't have access to one, so resorted to filing them thinner.

Metric SAE 841 Bronze Flanged Sleeve Bearing, for 20 mm Shaft Diameter, 26 mm OD, 20 mm Length

This is what I bought:

21GCTEY.jpg

Xqhv7x7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom