• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Starter Clutch Rebuild

Hank

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi There.
I thought i would try to rebuild my starter clutch today as its not -12 degrees anymore (only -4;)
I pulled both the left side cover off and the front sprocket cover.
The thing is I cant seem to get the bolt off the rotor. stuck good. Ive used a oil filter wrench to hold the rotor while using a socket on the bold and I actually broke the oil wrench. Is this normal? should I heat it up?
I dont have an impact wrench but I could borrow one. would that help? pb blaster?
Anyways, Ive picked up all the replacement parts from my local Honda dealer and I have a 16mx1.5 bolt 60mm long. I think i have everything I need to do the job. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hank

Thanks J-T, Ill use the impact wrench tomorrow and hopefully it wont be a problem.
Side note, I noticed that Ricks Motorsport Electrics sells an aftermarket high output rotor for cb350's. Do you, or anyone else on the forum have any experience with this?
it says you can use a 55watt h4 bulb with it without changing the stator.

Rick's sells the STATOR, not the ROTOR......Mnemonic clue is Stator STAYS still, Rotor ROTATES.......

Any benefit to buying one over the other? or is it better to just get both?
Im not seriously thinking about buying yet but it would be nice to have a brighter light. I dont do much riding at night or in the evening, not sure if its worth paying the price.
Since this model/engine is notorious for the charging system being weak on a good day I would replace both units and the option of running a stronger headlight is just a side benefit.

Thanks Jim, I think I'll order them both.
In the mean time, I just got the rotor off and Ive replaced all the parts (springs, caps and rollers) and I cant seem to finda the center rotor bolt torque specs anywhere in the FSM. I'd hate for anything to come loose.

Back
Top Bottom