• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

So I'm back to the Forum it has been a while and I'm thinking of buying another 450

K5CB450ML

Total Posts
Total likes
So I'm back to the Forum it has been a while and I'm thinking of buying another 450

Yep, going to go look at it in a few minutes, I don't remember him saying what year but I met the guy about 2 years ago on a benefit ride. It was running then and I think it's a 72 or 73, it has the dark green w/ gold stripe tank. I friend works with the owner and the owner is moving back up to the NE and doesn't want to take it. Was told the motor is out of the frame, not sure what the problem was but I think I can get it for fairly reasonable. Not sure if it's a CB or CL but it has high pipes not original but custom made w/ shorty mufflers. Titled I hope, might be selling off parts soon.

I think more of a dark green. When I met him it was licensed and tagged in NC so I'm hoping it's got a title. I'm going to take a bunch of pic's. Was hoping the owner would be there but looks like he won't be. I guess I'll at least get his phone # where I can talk to him about it, like why is the engine out. My guess is oil starvation.

Well, post the pics of it when you get back. Unless the engine has some massive failure we can get you through repairing whatever it needs.

^^^And take a pic of the frame number on the steering head, it will tell us exactly which model it is

I can't believe it, I forgot my phone....

^^^And take a pic of the frame number on the steering head, it will tell us exactly which model it is

my memory is failing, not only forgetting the phone but the color is that brown color. It is a CB and the numbers are within about 160 from each other. There is a title and he pulled the motor because it is stuck. He was told by someone??? they thought the pistons were. It winds up that the exhaust, I think, cam is stuck. He has everything bagged and tagged. We negotiated a price and I will go get it and the title in a couple days. Beautiful seat, both side covers, tank could use being cleaned, like new old style enduro tires and over all fairly clean and complete. Why would one cam lock up?

my memory is failing, not only forgetting the phone but the color is that brown color. It is a CB and the numbers are within about 160 from each other. There is a title and he pulled the motor because it is stuck. He was told by someone??? they thought the pistons were. It winds up that the exhaust, I think, cam is stuck. He has everything bagged and tagged. We negotiated a price and I will go get it and the title in a couple days. Beautiful seat, both side covers, tank could use being cleaned, like new old style enduro tires and over all fairly clean and complete. Why would one cam lock up?

Lack of oil to the top end could seize a cam bearing but it usually just causes excess wear, but if run too long with excess wear the oil flow loss could cause another cam bearing to eventually seize. I haven't seen it all with these engines so I suppose it's possible, just not something I've ever encountered. So did he say it happened while running? Or did it sit a while first? If it sat a while it's likely stuck rings from rust, of course, that's the usual culprit. The good news is used cams are out there fairly cheap, and new cam bearings are still around as well as good used ones. If the damage is severe it'll need the entire engine torn down due to aluminum particles everywhere including in the crank bearings if ridden long enough. Engine is out of the frame but still complete?

not sure of how the VIN tells year...

I know I have asked before. Mine starts CB450 50xxxxx and that is how the one I'm looking at starts. If that is what tells the year then it must also be from 1972, K5. Oh yea, I don't see on the post's how to reply without reply with a quote. Maybe I'm just overlooking it.

If you click "Reply" it's without quotes, if you click "Reply With Quote" it quotes the previous post. Are you using a computer or doing mobile? If mobile, you might not see everything that is there

Also, revisit this post, there are many links here to help.

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...orum-information-in-one-place&p=6893#post6893

And, this is how you tell which K series the bike is. I mentioned "model" and not "year" above because back then they were titled the year they were sold, so a K5 could be a '72 or a '73. Your bike is in the group at the link below

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...-Guide-(US-models)&p=3869&viewfull=1#post3869

Shoot, I replied to a different thread. Anyway you will probably see it. I bought the bike it's a 72 like my other one, my first one starts out CB450 5024 and the new one is CB450 5040. PO said it locked up while riding and was told it was probably pistons stuck. Well he has the whole thing apart except the head and he didn't split the cases. I have pic's and find it easier to post from my Android phone, at least to other forums. I'm having trouble getting to this forum on my phone.

Shoot, I replied to a different thread. Anyway you will probably see it. I bought the bike it's a 72 like my other one, my first one starts out CB450 5024 and the new one is CB450 5040. PO said it locked up while riding and was told it was probably pistons stuck. Well he has the whole thing apart except the head and he didn't split the cases.

You should start a Project thread for the new 450 so you can post some pictures or video of what you have and we can get a look at what might have happened

I have pic's and find it easier to post from my Android phone, at least to other forums. I'm having trouble getting to this forum on my phone.

Most who do mobile on the site use the Tapatalk app

Back
Top Bottom