• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Should I be worried?

Laverdista

Total Posts
Total likes
So, after my introduction, I warned you I'd be asking questions!

Just fired up my new-to-me Black Bomber over today. Changed the fuel, checked the oil and spark plug and replaced the rather tired battery.

Kickstarted it and it roared into life on the second kick. The engine sounds good (from my limited experience), but every time it conks out (it doesn't like idling at the moment), it makes a strange ticking noise for 10 seconds or so.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

James

It could be something as simple as the double walled header pipes cooling since it didn't run long. Otherwise it's hard to say without a video to listen to. If you take a video of it, you'll need to upload it to either your YouTube channel (and all you need to do that is have a Gmail address to use to log into YT) or a Google photos account (same thing, a Gmail address is all you need) and then link the video here.

It seems that you don't have the original K0 mufflers, but K1's. They are probably after-marked, but I can be mistaken here.

It seems that you don't have the original K0 mufflers, but K1's. They are probably after-marked, but I can be mistaken here.

Thanks. These ones came with the bike, and are (I think) David Silver reproductions. To be honest, I hadn't compared them with factory ones. I will do that now! [emoji848]

Here are some side photos of my bike...
ef81341c5cc01cb5d6c05c4e27847b62.jpg

d678d8c1848dafa64465fd094d9695ea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This was a start of a discussion about the noise you heard after turning-off a warmed-up bike. The noise is probably related to the combination of muffler parts and the way they're mounted. I did wrote an extended explanation, but deleted it after a while because there was no response after three days. I kept only this sentence in my response.

If people don't respond it can mean two things, either you didn't had the time to read, or you think it's worthless information. If people ask a question on a forum I expect that the first reason is not applicable, since you are curious and want to know what the solution to your problem is. Logic tells me it was the second reason since there is no interest in the information. The title of your thread is "should I be worried ?" my answer was maybe, and gave a argumentation and a solution direction.

Since English is not my native language, it takes me a lot of time to give an extended answer, and if there is no response within a few days, I take my loss and delete it.

This was a start of a discussion about the noise you heard after turning-off a warmed-up bike. The noise is probably related to the combination of muffler parts and the way they're mounted. I did wrote an extended explanation, but deleted it after a while because there was no response after three days. I kept only this sentence in my response.

If people don't respond it can mean two things, either you didn't had the time to read, or you think it's worthless information. If people ask a question on a forum I expect that the first reason is not applicable, since you are curious and want to know what the solution to your problem is. Logic tells me it was the second reason since there is no interest in the information. The title of your thread is "should I be worried ?" my answer was maybe, and gave a argumentation and a solution direction.

Since English is not my native language, it takes me a lot of time to give an extended answer, and if there is no response within a few days, I take my loss and delete it.
Hi. I'm really sorry, but I didn't see your initial response. I'm new to both these forums, and to using Tapatalk to view them, and it's possible that I haven't fully mastered how to keep 'up to date' with all topics.

More importantly, myself and my wife have spent the last 5 days fighting a particularly nasty (for me, anyway) bout of Covid, meaning I haven't felt like checking in to forums as much as might do normally, nor typing much.

As a newbie (to both Honda CBs and this forum), I'm very appreciative of ALL advice, but equally aware that electronic communication is not a perfect medium - Sometimes there are perfectly plausible reasons for a lack of a response, which don't always signify disinterest or discourtesy.

Why do you do this? This is a social media forum (a lot less like Facebook, more like reddit). As such, it is a place for people to communicate about a topic. Except unlike in real-time (in person), there is a different protocol.

Sometimes people ask a question and don't get a response. Sometimes a comment is made and it doesn't get a response. That doesn't it mean it is without value. Including to future readers. This forum increases in value as a knowledge base over time. Unless people delete their posts because they didn't get the attention they felt it deserved. It's lost, or worse replaced with a distracting rant.

This intermittent and long running protocol is also quite normal. Maybe you aren't cut out for this type thing as your reaction is rather pedantic and childish.

69 CB350K1/68 CB450K0

Maybe you aren't cut out for this type thing as your reaction is rather pedantic and childish.

It's rather insulting to say that, it's your opinion. In general it applies that if there is no response to information there is no common ground, either the information is invalid, not important or not necessary. It's a self cleaning mechanism. Only information that is responded to has a value. It keeps the forum clean in a way.

This is a social media forum (a lot less like Facebook, more like reddit). As such, it is a place for people to communicate about a topic. Except unlike in real-time (in person), there is a different protocol.

A forum is a place where people discuss, not an automatic reply to questions like google or FB.

This forum increases in value as a knowledge base over time.

If this is really your opinion I don't understand why your thread on the bomber is full of questions since most information is readily available on many other threads on this forum.

Hi. I'm really sorry, but I didn't see your initial response. I'm new to both these forums, and to using Tapatalk to view them, and it's possible that I haven't fully mastered how to keep 'up to date' with all topics.

More importantly, myself and my wife have spent the last 5 days fighting a particularly nasty (for me, anyway) bout of Covid, meaning I haven't felt like checking in to forums as much as might do normally, nor typing much.

As a newbie (to both Honda CBs and this forum), I'm very appreciative of ALL advice, but equally aware that electronic communication is not a perfect medium - Sometimes there are perfectly plausible reasons for a lack of a response, which don't always signify disinterest or discourtesy.

Point taken, hope all is well.

To be honest, I hadn't compared them with factory ones. I will do that now!
emoji848.png

Did you ? The original K0 mufflers do have two mounting brackets instead of one, like yours. The shape of the cone at the rear of your mufflers is a little different than the ones I know, that's why I thought these where aftermarkets, however, difficult to say.

If the sound you hear comes from your exhaust system, the tension due to heat expansion is probably the reason. One way to check this is to loosen the nuts of the mufflers just a bit (I always replace them with lock-nuts). I don't tighten the lock-nuts completely, but not too loose either. This way the expansion of your mufflers can find a way to relax. You could also loosen the clamp bolt between header and mufflers a bit, to give some movement room. If the mufflers are overdetermined, the force due to expansion will result in cracks around the bracket bolts, or even worse, just where the header sticks in the muffler. The after-market mufflers and headers are a too tight combination due to the clamp structure.

Thats also the reason why one-piece mufflers for the K0 are always cracked and replaced at some point in time.

OK, thanks, I'll have a play with the silencer bolts and see if I can 'tune' the expansion sounds.

If the sound you hear comes from your exhaust system, the tension due to heat expansion is probably the reason. One way to check this is to loosen the nuts of the mufflers just a bit (I always replace them with lock-nuts). I don't tighten the lock-nuts completely, but not too loose either. This way the expansion of your mufflers can find a way to relax. You could also loosen the clamp bolt between header and mufflers a bit, to give some movement room. If the mufflers are overdetermined, the force due to expansion will result in cracks around the bracket bolts, or even worse, just where the header sticks in the muffler. The after-market mufflers and headers are a too tight combination due to the clamp structure.

Thats also the reason why one-piece mufflers for the K0 are always cracked and replaced at some point in time.

Back
Top Bottom