• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

removal of a '69 CL175 K3 exhaust... need some help

old river rat

Total Posts
Total likes
After spending my shop time last winter on two non-Honda bike projects and getting a START on my CJ 360T project (which I will spend more time on next winter) I decided to get a start on what will be a MAJOR rebuild of a '69 CL175 K3. I mention all of this to indicate that I'm not in a hurry for this riding season. This '69 is a special bike for me because it is the very FIRST motor vehicle I ever bought. I rescued it, what was left of it, from a corn crib some years ago (in the sort of condition you can imagine) and because of its history with me I'm inclined to do do a complete tear down and rebuild. At this point I'm collecting documentation and trying to get into it enough to track down the parts I'll need next winter.

I've started the tear down, bagging and labeling parts as I go and have run into the first problem.

I was hoping to remove the exhaust as a unit, but it I soon realized that since the two exhaust pipes exit the head pointing outward they bind as you try to remove the system in one piece as you move it forward. I checked the service manual and, sure enough, it tells you to separate the bottom pipe from the muffler. I got the clamps off OK, but, of course, that pipe has been in the muffler for 52 years. The exhaust system is in good enough shape to use it so I'm trying to be as careful as I can.

Has anyone got any hints, tips or suggestions about getting them apart?

Penetrating oil and time. I like a mix of 1/2 ATF and 1/2 acetone,

And of course, time=patience... but clearly you have the patience since you're not concerned about the riding season this year. I'm looking forward to seeing this one go together, they were a cool, one-year thing (like the SL90) from Honda right before the release of the SL175K0.

Back
Top Bottom