• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Rear axle nut torque?

TMSHORT

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Is there a torque spec for the rear axle nut?
I am guessing not, since it is cotter pinned; I ran it up snug and then to the next set of holes that lined up. Wheel spins as it did before. The shop manual just says “tighten rear axle nut” as far as I see.

New chain this evening...

Thanks, Jim.

So if no holes align when torqued to that range, is the preference to tighten or loosen a bit to get the cotter pin in?

I'll look at the manual again, still familiarizing myself with where things are.

Thomas

Rear axles are one of those areas where the torque value is secondary to it being plenty tight in order to avoid any movement when vigorous throttle is applied. Tighten the nut enough to line up the next opening for the cotter pin, the axle is large and can take it.

Yes, I've got a foot long ring spanner, use that to tighten the axle nuts until the cotter pin holes line up, I rely on experience rather than a torque wrench in this instance, same as when I tighten my sump plug.

And yes, I do have three torque wrenches of differing ranges.

As an aside, sharp intake of breath at torque figures form my Ford S-Max wheel nuts. 125 ft lbs.

Back
Top Bottom